HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2010, 06:55 PM
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Discussion
Micro F-35 Quickbuild for EDF 30

Here is my first foray into the world of EDFs. I modified RC Cal's quick build F-35 plans to a wingspan of 12 inches and to mount an EDF 30 unit.

Wingspan: 12 inches
Length: 17.5 inches
AUW: TBD

EDF-30
Motor: Turnigy 1015
ESC: 10A
Battery: 2S 300 mAh

The plane went together pretty quickly with no major hassles. My first method to mount the EDF was to cut a 0.6 inch wide channel in the main wing piece, glue a piece of foam under it, fill the void with epoxy and stick the edf unit in the groove. I then changed it to be mounted with the axis at wing level, which was harder to get a good thrust line by sight but looks better.

To prevent the impeller from rubbing against the mounting screws I carved away the plastic on the inside until it spun freely. I also decided against a thrust tube.

I do have some questions though.
- What kind of oil are you guys using for the bearings on the motor?
- Do you guys think the servos will inhibit a good airflow into the lower half of the edf?

Ill post the plans when completed
Fisticuffs! is offline Find More Posts by Fisticuffs!
Last edited by Fisticuffs!; Jun 08, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2010, 10:52 PM
It Flies
Torrance (LA), California/Gainesville, Florida
Joined Aug 2009
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisticuffs! View Post
I do have some questions though.
- What kind of oil are you guys using for the bearings on the motor?
- Do you guys think the servos will inhibit a good airflow into the lower half of the edf?
Great looking build!

I use WD-40 on the bearings of all my motors. I apply it using a small paintbrush for motors smaller than 14mm usually directly to the bearing. It's especially important to do this if your motor runs hot.

I'm not sure as far as the servos inhibiting airflow. I'd just go ahead and fly it and see what happens. Sounds kind of reckless but sometimes that's how it works.

I do think that you should build a slightly convergent exhaust nozzle to speed up the exit velocity of the air. And plus, it resembles the actually exhaust duct on the full scale F-35. Don't make the exhaust nozzle too constricting, however, as it may cause back flow! You need the *perfect* balance that doesn't put too much load on the motor and yet provides a good amount of thrust. There's a lot of good material here on nozzles: http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/nozzle.html
speedster239 is offline Find More Posts by speedster239
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:11 PM
Founder of the EDF20 club!
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,252 Posts
I like it! Got a link to the plans you used? I might want to do one sometime. The F-35 is one of those planes that looks good as a profile build.
all4smallrc is offline Find More Posts by all4smallrc
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:58 PM
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am weary about WD-40 since it dissolves grease.

Here is the pdf of the plans for 8.5 x 11. Print them no scaling and centered.

For the two sets of lines from the spar to the exhaust, the outer is the width of an EDF 30 fan shroud, and the inner are so you can cut a groove in the foam and glue a piece directly under and glue the fan shroud to that.

I am also designing and modifying existing plans for a few other quick build planes in both 12 and 15 inch wingspans for EDF 30 and 40. Soon to come are plans for a 15 inch F-35, Mig 29, Jas 39, Mirage F1 and a few other 12 inch models.
Last edited by Fisticuffs!; Apr 06, 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 09:29 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,252 Posts
Thanks for the PDF! Looking forward to seeing the future models too!
Old Jun 04, 2010, 12:03 PM
vtol fan
Joined Jul 2009
627 Posts
subscribe me too,for the pdf!
nadine is offline Find More Posts by nadine
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:50 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
I use light machine oil to lube bushings and bearings. 3-in-1, sewing machine, R/C car oil, 10 weight, air gun oil, all similar and work well. One tiny drop will do it, don't use too much, but repeat often. It will flow into the tiny gaps just fine. WD-40 also 'drys out' quickly because of it's propellent, same reason it dissolves heavier grease, itc.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jun 08, 2010, 02:31 PM
England , Essex
Joined Sep 2009
168 Posts
great stuff been looking for some mini edf plans
hawkguy is offline Find More Posts by hawkguy
Old Jun 08, 2010, 11:17 PM
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Here are plans for a quick-build Mirage F1 scaled for a 12 inch wingspan and a EDF 30 unit.

- The lines on the wing are the 50% chord line for KF airfoils
- The CG is marked with the crosshairs
- Cut out the spine, position the wing using the tabs then replace the spine
- There are a few different elevon/elevator markings, and those for stabilitors
- The two rectangular piece are meant to support the wing and can also be used as a way to create a large intake area
Old Jun 08, 2010, 11:53 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisticuffs! View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am weary about WD-40 since it dissolves grease.

Here is the pdf of the plans for 8.5 x 11. Print them no scaling and centered.

For the two sets of lines from the spar to the exhaust, the outer is the width of an EDF 30 fan shroud, and the inner are so you can cut a groove in the foam and glue a piece directly under and glue the fan shroud to that.

I am also designing and modifying existing plans for a few other quick build planes in both 12 and 15 inch wingspans for EDF 30 and 40. Soon to come are plans for a 15 inch F-35, Mig 29, Jas 39, Mirage F1 and a few other 12 inch models.
And rightly so,WD-40 is not a very good lubricant as it will dissolve any grease and then evaporate. 3-1 oil is good enough, personally
I drill a small hole (1/16") in the shroud in line with the gap between motor and impeller and use a syringe to put a drop of oil in front of the bearing and a shot in the back bearing which is easy access
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Jun 09, 2010, 08:06 AM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:12 PM
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Sep 2007
191 Posts
Well the maiden was a bit of a disappointment.

I never installed a thurst cone/nozzle on the EDF 30 as the static thrust a hair above the weight of the plane with a 2S 300 mAh Lipo. Everything was working fine, the impeller spun freely in the housing and had been glued onto the motor shaft.

The gear I had in it was a Turnigy 1015, 6 blade impeller, 10A ESC, 2S 300 mAh

I maidened it in an abandoned school yard today, surrounded by trees to cut down on wind. I would estimate the wind inside the yard was at most 3 mph.

I grip the spine of the fuselage and give it a strong underhand toss at 20 degrees at full throttle. It went nose up slightly and I corrected its attitude. Here is where the problems started. The plane did not seem to pick up any speed, just floated at the same speed I had tossed it at, and every once in a while would roll 90 - 150 degrees without any input on my part. It seemed downright lethargic and just would not pick up speed. For most of the time it was hovering right above stall speed, so any control input would cause it to stall. I brought it down to investigate.

The second time I gave it an overhand toss at full throttle. Either a wind gust hit it or it torque rolled before I could get my hand on the stick and down it went 15 feet in front of me.

This pattern repeated itself until on my last try I flew it at full throttle the entire time. It stalled near a tree and some wind carried it into some branches, damn.

I cannot figure out what went wrong. I do not think it was lacking in wing area, or was too heavy. The control surfaces and throws may have been large, but even when flown at full throttle with no control input it just hobbled along.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions for future EDF endeavors?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:56 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Makes no sense with the power setup you are using. Looks to be very light, and 1:1 (almost) power/weights darn good???????

Delta types usually handle larger throws fairly well. Are you sure the fan was performing the same in the field as on the bench? What is your AUW?

Sounds fishy!

I sure would not give up yet as there has to be something logical. You don't have any bent or cracked impeller blades do you?

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jun 11, 2010, 01:40 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Chop out the depron at the rear of the fan and replace the area with a tailpipe tapered to around 24mm that ends just past the rear of the model/depron.

You can glue the sides of the tailpipe to the depron fuse to regain the strength so make the cut accurate to the size of the tailpipe.

See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164851

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jun 11, 2010, 09:48 AM
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2008
3,252 Posts
Is this the maiden of the F-35 or the Mirage? If it was the F-35, the first thing I would guess is too much drag. Some profile F-35s have been know to have this problem. If it was the Mirage, from experience I can tell you that the perfect cg is super important. If even the slightest bit tail heavy, they just float around at high alpha and just can't pick up speed. I've even had this problem on a Mirage that had a 2/1 thrust/wieght ratio! The cg can't be a bit nose heavy either. It must be perfect. Once you find the sweet spot, it should fly fine.