HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2010, 05:28 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
Discussion
24" DS (Dead Simple) Flying Wing - Pics, Video, Plans

Well the Dead Simple flying wing has become a hit. This is the original 24" Wing I designed. There have been a number of builds and the majority of them have loved it. If you want a simple to build fly on rails flying wing look no further. It is quite aerobatic and eager to please, so it is not considered a trainer. If you have some experience under your belt with ailerons this is great first build and cheap!

24" DS Specs

Wingspan: 24in
Airfoil: KFm2
Wing Area: 147 sq. in.
CG: 5.5in to 5.75in
AUW: 6.1oz
Cubic Wing Loading: 5.9

Electronics List
Motor: 24g Turnigy Blue n Red Wonder1700kv
Battery: 2S 900mAh
Prop: APC-e 7x6
Data: 50mph 10oz of thrust with this setup
Servos: HXT500 5g
Covering: 3m Heavy Duty Packing Tape
Foam: Dollar Tree Foam Board

Build Tips
- Easy way to remove paper from $Tree foam board
- Cover the majority of the plane in packing tape. It will double the stiffness and protect the soft foam from rocks, etc on landing.
- It is a small plane so build light.
- Make sure the CG is right (Did I mention the plane is small)
- Small batteries will be hard to balance the CG
- Balance the plane axially (roll)
- If covered with packing tape the plane will fly up to 40-50mph without spars.
- Spars can't hurt

The 36" DS2 Has been moved to this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1514483

Watch it in HD:
24" DS (Dead Simple) Flying Wing - RC KFm2 plane (4 min 24 sec)
forlack is offline Find More Posts by forlack
Last edited by forlack; Sep 29, 2011 at 11:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2010, 06:15 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
Video added. See post 1
Old May 29, 2010, 06:34 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
814 Posts
Real nice! How about plans or a reference drawing?
savall21 is offline Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old May 29, 2010, 06:39 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
I'll work on a some plans, or schematics tonight. Shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for checking it out.

-Chase
Old May 29, 2010, 09:57 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
814 Posts
Thanks! Lookin forward to it.
savall21 is offline Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old May 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
Shibbyshwank
Joined Mar 2010
6 Posts
I am a fan of the flying wing because of its simplicity. Nice work man!
Shibbyshwank is offline Find More Posts by Shibbyshwank
Old May 30, 2010, 12:01 AM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
Alright here are the schematics. This is version 2. I increased the elevon's area slightly and also made them parallel to the wing tips. The winglets are the same area as before but a different shape that is easier to cut out. This plane is all straight lines so it is very easy to measure out and cut. If you want the elevons to be easier just do 1.75"x8" strips and don't worry about them being parallel to the wing tips.

*EDIT* I have updated the elevons and have included a printout for them to make it easier to construct.

I have them drawn up in cad so it shouldn't be too hard to make tiled plans, but someone will have to come to my rescue for that. Let me know what you guys think. The CG is marked. Two schematics are shown, one without dimensions and one with.

*EDIT*
I did not use any reinforcement, except for strapping tape. The KFm airfoil seemed to add enough rigidity to the wing to warrant not using a spar. It makes it very easy to build. It took a hard tumble when I was messing around and there was no damage to the wing.

Light = Crash resistant
Last edited by forlack; Jun 01, 2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:18 AM
LOWERRR!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Sep 2006
1,494 Posts

Quick build, I like it. I should be maidening it in a few hours.

Man I love foamboard!

EDIT: Question... is that the CG mark at 5.5"? I'm at about 6" with the 460mah 3S (probably has to do with the heavier motor (Park 300) I'm using). Looks like I'm balancing properly with a 1200mah but it sure is fat
MadMonkey572 is offline Find More Posts by MadMonkey572
Last edited by MadMonkey572; May 30, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:30 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572 View Post

Quick build, I like it. I should be maidening it in a few hours.

Man I love foamboard!

EDIT: Question... is that the CG mark at 5.5"? I'm at about 6" with the 460mah 3S (probably has to do with the heavier motor (Park 300) I'm using). Looks like I'm balancing properly with a 1200mah but it sure is fat
Looks great! I like the look of version 2, it is a bit more refined. 5.5" is the CG that I used. Calculated, 6" is very close to the neutral point, so it might be ok, but could be very pitch sensitive. KFm airfoils are suppose to be able to handle a wider range of CG, so you can try it out and see.

3s with a bigger motor; you have to get a film of it, if you can! I am thinking about putting a smaller 3s battery on mine just for fun. It seemed to handle the high winds yesterday very well. There is some breathing room on weight. 10 - 12 oz will start to be a pretty heavy wing loading.

Have fun and get some video of it, looks great and the best part, you are not stressed out for the maiden because it only took a little bit of time to put together. Should fly well.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:32 PM
Joined Apr 2010
117 Posts
I'm a nooby when it comes to foamies such as this, but I'm very interested in this plane and have a couple of very basic questions.

Is this plane made from plain 5mm foam board with paper on each side such as can be purchased at a Michael's Craft store or an Office Depot?

Is fiber reinforced 3M strapping tape such as the kind purchased from Office Depot reasonable to use for reinforcement?

How is the leading edge of the wing formed? Is it shaped at all under the reinforcement tape? Any other tips on getting a proper KFm airfoil shape to this wing?

Since you are using a HK-TR6A receiver, I presume you are using the HK-T6A transmitter -- the same transmitter I'm using. Any suggestions for getting the proper mix on the transmitter for proper functioning elevons?

I apologize for so many basic questions. Hopefully they aren't silly. I'm really interested in "dead simple" scratch built planes that can be so quickly/cheaply built parts.
mpthompson is offline Find More Posts by mpthompson
Old May 30, 2010, 05:16 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
mpthompson

The foam I am using is dollar tree - ready board. It is 3/16in or close to 5mm. If you can get it, it is the best because the paper comes off very easily. I put the board in the shower for about 5 minutes with hot water hitting it. I then spray it with LA totally awesome (sold at dollar tree) let it sit for 5 mins or so. The paper should come off in one sheet.

I am using 3m extreme packing tape, but any fiber reinforced strapping tape will work well. I like the extreme stuff, because it has bidirectional reinforcement.

This is a KFm2 (Top step at 50% chord). I simply stacked the step and laminated it to the main wing. I then sanded the top leading edge to give it a curved surface. Taped the leading edge to make it smooth.

Elevon mixing is very easy on the HK T6A. Servos in Channels 1 and 2. Go to the mixing options and set
Mix 1. Source = CH2; Destination = CH1; UPRATE = -100; DOWNRATE = -100
Mix 2. Source = CH1; Destination = CH2; UPRATE = 100; Downrate = 100

It flys really well for a small wing.

MadMonkey
- I just noticed your motor mount looks a little weak in the picture. I just had a hard crash with my DS because the motor broke loose in flight! Yesterday I noticed the mount felt a little loose on the foam. I reinforced it with more glue and had a great flight. Today I noticed it needed some more reinforcement, but flew anyways. After takeoff the plane just ripped to the right side into a hard roll and then hit the ground. I am pretty sure the motor broke loose. The wing actually took the crash very well. No real structural damage except for where the motor popped off. Light = Crash resistant. Anyways I am going to build version 2 today and maiden it Monday.

So lesson learned. Better motor mount. Anyone have some solid motor mounts for flying wings that aren't too bulky??
Last edited by forlack; May 30, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old May 30, 2010, 05:40 PM
Shibbyshwank
Joined Mar 2010
6 Posts
Flying wing motor mount

I built a flying wing a couple months ago. The motor mount seemed to have held up pretty well. I stacked two squares on the bottom, and one on top of the reinforcement piece (essentially two sheets thick), for a total thickness of 5 sheets thick. Then I sanded the vertical surface to make it smooth and glued a piece of wood directly on there.
Shibbyshwank is offline Find More Posts by Shibbyshwank
Old May 30, 2010, 05:45 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
That looks very similar to my mount except yours is stepped which would distribute the force better. Nice!
Old May 30, 2010, 05:51 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Nice work Forlack,

Just an FYI on your power setup. With that motor and battery you can run a GWS 7x6 SF prop, and get some more punch out of it. The SEMMF'ers are running the same setup with the SF prop and getting a solid 5-7 minutes WOT flights for combat. With your lighter lower drag airframe you would put even less load agianst the motor. It will pull 8.5 A and make 65 watts.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 30, 2010, 06:03 PM
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Nov 2009
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Nice work Forlack,

Just an FYI on your power setup. With that motor and battery you can run a GWS 7x6 SF prop, and get some more punch out of it. The SEMMF'ers are running the same setup with the SF prop and getting a solid 5-7 minutes WOT flights for combat. With your lighter lower drag airframe you would put even less load agianst the motor. It will pull 8.5 A and make 65 watts.

Ken
Thanks Ken. What kind of thrust, pitch speed are they getting. I had some 8043SF that buzzed at higher RPMs, but that was on 3s and a different motor. Are they having anything like that? Thanks

Chase