HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2010, 04:00 PM
blue moon with an orange slice
LI NY
Joined Mar 2009
210 Posts
Discussion
micro drifter..

mini-z the best bet? soooo much money!... does anyone else make a nice micro drift? xmod? TOMY DRIFT PACKAGE LIGHT ? looking for 1/24 1/26 tops...
popdada is offline Find More Posts by popdada
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 04:20 PM
Rochester NY
Joined Nov 2004
102 Posts
Get the new X mods with a set of bearings from atomic and the AWD kit with the drift tires.
The new motors in the EVO2 have more power and whip the little cars very nice for kitchen drifting. Right now they are selling them for about $25.00 at your local RS.
One of the other mini-z racers just set his 4WD mini-z up as a drifter very nice but over $200.00
Enjoy!!!
derbi75 is offline Find More Posts by derbi75
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:30 PM
blue moon with an orange slice
LI NY
Joined Mar 2009
210 Posts
sweet thanks!
popdada is offline Find More Posts by popdada
Old Jun 06, 2010, 01:14 AM
Joined Apr 2010
9 Posts
Please find a gen 1 xmods if you dont want it to be breaking all the time...
Parts are getting harder to find, but not impossible though.
I have gone through WAAAAY too many xmods evo's

The gen1's are tanks, but have only one disadvantage to the evo, and that is the elctronics.

Either way you can go hobby grade, or even simpler, add a mini-z esc for precise power.

Im going brushless with mine. It will be a drift/drag car.

Here's the thread on my gen1 drift car awaiting its conversion.
2.8-350TBI is offline Find More Posts by 2.8-350TBI
Old Jun 14, 2010, 04:02 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
I got a Gen1 about 2 years ago, off the bat I was very dissapointed given how good it looked on youtube...

then I started to mod it!

This is my 1st white NSX Gen1 xmod as 2WD stock.
Standard Xmod Honda NSX Practice Laps (3 min 39 sec)

a little poor eh?

Here's my video on how to add a 5th cell to get 6V from NiMh
how to 5 cell upgrade an xmod (7 min 36 sec)

Much better, See the yellow arms, it's still 2WD with no bearings added at this point.

After going 6 cell for a test I made a video
xmod 6cell testing in mall (1 min 34 sec)

It's still 2WD, it's alot better once the 4WD kit is fitted.

The Tight turn steering mod is a must for the Gen1, the EVO already has full steering lock.

To tight turn mod you need a pair of identical resistors, I'm not sure of the values right now but I'll find out. There ar 5 wire coming out of the servo, 2 for the motor and 3 for the POT (the part that tells the Main PCB what angle the wheels are at) if you cut the 2 (brown I think) wires and add the resistor in series Make sure they go back to where they came from or your steering will be inverted.

This tricks the PCB into thinking the wheels have not turned as much as it wants them to, (even though they are at the full stock electroinc possition) the PCB turns the steering more till it reaches the full mechanical limit and gets the expected reading from the extended POT reading.

Drift tires can be hard to come by but if your drifting on laminate flooring you can wrap the tires in paper masking tape, slightly more grig than the drift tire but they work well, I found the drift tires had too little grip on my laminate floor.

Hope this helps dude.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:05 AM
Joined Apr 2010
9 Posts
I think this will tell you all you need about how I build xmods

XMODS outdoor speed test (2 min 2 sec)

XMODS speed test 55MPH (1 min 26 sec)

And the drift vid
xmods drifting! (1 min 24 sec)
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:12 AM
Mississauga Ontario Canada
Joined Jan 2006
753 Posts
Im having a blast with my Mini-X. It drifts like a king. I got the roller with motor for $9.00. It also has many adjustments like camber and ride hieght ect.
RC flight is offline Find More Posts by RC flight
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:57 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,493 Posts
heres another option for micro drift .

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-P-LANCER-EVO-9...item335dba938f
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:32 PM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
Those takara/tomy drift cars are fun. They're not proportional, but they're quick and they're 4wd.

The xmods gen1 requires so much modification to make it work right you're into it for an additional 40 bucks after AWD, suspension upgrade. Then you have to spend the time and money with battery mods, turbo, tight turns mods. It's a fun car to build and work on if you want a project.

After all those mods it can keep up with an evolution transformers xmods out of the box, but the evolution (as was stated earlier) is a lot more fragile. You can't bash it around on the street without breaking stuff.

If I could find a mini-x, that's the route I would take. Good luck with that search though... havn't seen them on the market for a few years now.
Baratacus is offline Find More Posts by Baratacus
Last edited by Baratacus; Aug 26, 2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: losi highroller is not 4wd
Old Aug 29, 2010, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2008
721 Posts
Ive had a ton of xmods. Evo was faster but the dogbones were really weak. Id recomend getting aluminum ones. Also you can either run lipo or make it 6 cell. Ive run both on mine and it was a beast on a custom wound motor and stacked fets. Suspension wise the evo was good but needed locked rear diff to keep from understeering too much. I actually liked how it turned on 6 cell better as it acted like a real car with body roll and understeering. On liion it would flip over real easy.
wrcsti is offline Find More Posts by wrcsti
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:46 PM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
MY xmods evo is my best drift car. only mods it has is AWD, bearings, and drift wheels. It has open diffs, stock motor, 4 cell aaa NIMH bateries and it slides around like it was on butter. If you do start building up the motor and power pack, stacking fets etc... you will need stronger drive train components to handle the extra power.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:06 AM
Joined Apr 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baratacus View Post
MY xmods evo is my best drift car. only mods it has is AWD, bearings, and drift wheels. It has open diffs, stock motor, 4 cell aaa NIMH bateries and it slides around like it was on butter. If you do start building up the motor and power pack, stacking fets etc... you will need stronger drive train components to handle the extra power.
Evos are fun when you keep the power levels down, but when you feed tons of power through them the drivetrain turns into a real pain.
Other than that they are really fun cars. I have like 3 or 4 evos.
And the two gen 1's are dedicated high power drifters.
One is going to be a full aluminum brushless powered AWD all wheel steer fully proportianal hobby grade car.
The other one is getting a mini-z board.

Heres a pic of the stuff I will be using...
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:32 AM
Platinum Ball3r
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Oct 2009
598 Posts
Get the new losi 4wd rally car.
custom t is offline Find More Posts by custom t
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:51 PM
Post Digger
San Diego, CA
Joined Oct 2005
461 Posts
saw a micro-t clone on ebay... except that it's 4wd like the losi sct but it's the size of the micro-t. I think it was called a micro-QQ truggy. I can't find any reviews on it or info about it's quality.

Damn thing is 90 bucks though so I would go with the losi micro rally car before I bought a knock off that there isn't any customer support for.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 12:00 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Yeh.. I just got the Losi micro rally.. man, hard tires stock on this thing would be a blast.. I'm already going to measure the rims and find or make some pvc tires for it.. hell, on the street with a 2s lipo in it instead of the stock 4 cell nimh, it already power slides and starts to drift.. once the tires bite though it either drives out of it fast, or rolls side over side..

~Kev

PS: 12X20mm inrunners & a 5a bl esc would rock on this sicker too, but as usual, I'd see drivetrain failure with that much power on anything other then pvc tires.
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede