Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 28, 2010, 06:13 PM
Joined May 2010
2 Posts
Discussion
How to replace s107 inner shaft?

I've got a Syma S107 with a busted t-bar, so I bought a replacement inner shaft. Problem is I have no idea how to replace it. I unscrewed a couple of screws that looked like they'd do the trick, but the inner shaft still wont budge.

Searched for forum and saw someone else ask this question in a larger thread about the S107 but no one replied. Would greatly appreciate any tips, links, or guides on how to do this repair.

Thank you!
hrvat36 is offline Find More Posts by hrvat36
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2010, 07:30 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

The newest, zippiest, most trouble-free Robo-copter on the market. Let's see it's stomach contents, shall we?

Like any good M.E., everything got bagged n tagged. Do this, those little screws are NOT all the same.

Do you have any kind of camera? Make it earn its keep. This one's a no-brainer, only one wire came off.

Everybody scrubbed up, got some Vick's under your nose? Let's go on in.

Must have died in his prime, not a scratch on him. This copter has been test-run, but NEVER FLOWN (OK, once, but just for pics). It doesn't get newer than this.

Loosen TWO screws, pull the head off, save that spacer.

Pull the lower blade set and head off; it's a press-fit.

Two screws, the canopy's off.

Use a tiny driver to carefully pry out the nose lamp, counterweight, and sticky tape.

Not so scary now, are you Robo-Bird?

In a bag, you go. Virtually every dis-assembly step here is a new parts bag tagged.

Where we are so far.

Pluck off the tail feathers and rear rotor.

Bag them all together, the screws are all the same here.

Landing gear comes off next. Those four screws get bagged with it.

Four screws, four plastic spacers, this separates the motor mount from the chassis.

And then two screws to remove each side plate of that chassis.

These are nothing short of perfectly made. It's almost gonna be a shame to coat them with ordinary paint.

Two screws (notice a theme forming here? THREE parts- two fasteners, and the component-NICE ENGINEERING) let the PCB loose of its moorings.

The chassis lower deck, and the now-freed circuit.

Yes, we have to remember, the S107 has a nose-weight.
More important, it's here where I got too rough and broke that wire off. See it still in situ here?

Canopy mounts go in their own bag- because the screws are different than those that hold the canopy to them.
Otherwise, they'd all be bagged together.

The BEEF, folks. Sorry for the HP camera's poor performance (It was purchased during the Carly Fiorina years), but I'll hope if your gears are ALREADY apart, this as-assembled stock series will help:

Tail wiring route. Note: the WHITE MOTOR goes in the BACK.

The motor mount side plates. ONE screw each. Uber-NICE Engineering. Let that guy (or gal!) have Friday off with pay.

The tail boom knocked apart, two screws.

Reverse order to re-assemble. Since I stacked the bagged parts as they came off, it was an easy step to then number each baggie, so going back together is as easy as 1-2-3, etc.

Going back together:
S107re_assy001.JPG

.28gram airsoft BB added for more forward speed.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; May 29, 2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 07:38 PM
Joined May 2010
2 Posts
Thank you so much for the pictures/directions. It helped me remove the old inner shaft. However, now I have a new problem. The white plastic gear on the end of the old inner shaft absolutely will not come off. I used two sets of pliers and pulled with all my might. Was I supposed to buy a replacement gear to put on the new inner shaft, or what else is going on here? I might try to submerge it in acetone to dissolve any glue that might be holding it, but am open to other suggestions/recommendations.
hrvat36 is offline Find More Posts by hrvat36
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:41 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrvat36 View Post
Thank you so much for the pictures/directions. It helped me remove the old inner shaft. However, now I have a new problem. The white plastic gear on the end of the old inner shaft absolutely will not come off. I used two sets of pliers and pulled with all my might. Was I supposed to buy a replacement gear to put on the new inner shaft, or what else is going on here? I might try to submerge it in acetone to dissolve any glue that might be holding it, but am open to other suggestions/recommendations.
Thank you for posting the diagram of how to disassemble the Syma S107. Quick question - I broke a portion of the head directly under the stabilizer bar. Can I replace just the black head portion or will I have to replace the entire inner shaft. I was planning on using the new head off of a new inner shaft, but how does the old head come off and the new head go on? Don't see what is holding the head on the shaft other than possibly epoxy?
Helicopter Man is offline Find More Posts by Helicopter Man