HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2010, 10:00 AM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Cool
Very Easy DIY 4G6 FB -to- FBL head conversion with 3D and crash tests!

Mild 3D tests by Pete914 (from Helifreak). Thanks Pete for bravely testing my mod! I have no RX2610S, so I'm very glad Pete was able to try it since he has the RX!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUYEGCvNukI

FBL head close up, movement and multiple crash tests.

Walkera 4G6 DIY FBL rotorhead conversion (1 min 41 sec)

If instruction picture is blurry, please go to the link below or click picture bar:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9...conversion.jpg

Disclaimer:

I will not be held responsible for any injuries, damage to your heli, voiding warranties, property damage, and casualties inflicted by this mod for any reason including the following:

-Improper replication of the mods i.e. did not use recommended material, did not precisely follow measurements.
-Not assuming an attitude of safety in proceeding with test flights after applying my mods. All the mods below may affect the handling of the 4G6 to such extent you may need to revisit both your mechanical and electronic setups.
-Using other motors than specified. These mods has only been tested with the stock motor (both KV11000 and KV10000 versions) + 12T/14T and with HP08 2 + 14T using stock Walkera ESC. The mods has not been tested yet with high performance motors such as HP08 using higher pinion gears like 16T to 20T which will produce higher RPM and higher risk of rotor components, including the mods, flying a apart at max rpm. In addition, the HP08 2 + 14T can damage or even strip the main gear in a crash or anything that will cause the blades to stop abruptly while spinning.
-Using defective stock parts. Make sure your stock 4G6 has been fully flight tested in full stock configuration to ensure everything is working.
-Using defective materials. Ensure that all materials you use, including glue had the highest quality for these mods
-Do not apply my mods to helicopters other than the 4G6 (or maybe the Novus CP125 too)!!
-The experimental and DIY nature of these mods mean this is not by any means professional work! Just by doing these mods, you are accepting the risks in the pursuit of making your 4G6 a better product. Even if you did everything by the letter, there are still chances of failure although very small, but it's still there! Proceed at your own risk, you have been warned!!
Timewerx is offline Find More Posts by Timewerx
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:06 AM
michigan
Joined May 2010
58 Posts
Diy fbl ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timewerx View Post
Mild 3D tests by Pete914 (from Helifreak). Thanks Pete for bravely testing my mod! I have no RX2610S, so I'm very glad Pete was able to try it since he has the RX!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUYEGCvNukI

FBL head close up, movement and multiple crash tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86xogyD7xc

If instruction picture is blurry, please go to the link below or click picture bar:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9...conversion.jpg

Disclaimer:

I will not be held responsible for any injuries, damage to your heli, voiding warranties, property damage, and casualties inflicted by this mod for any reason including the following:

-Improper replication of the mods i.e. did not use recommended material, did not precisely follow measurements.
-Not assuming an attitude of safety in proceeding with test flights after applying my mods. All the mods below may affect the handling of the 4G6 to such extent you may need to revisit both your mechanical and electronic setups.
-Using other motors than specified. These mods has only been tested with the stock motor (both KV11000 and KV10000 versions) + 12T/14T and with HP08 2 + 14T using stock Walkera ESC. The mods has not been tested yet with high performance motors such as HP08 using higher pinion gears like 16T to 20T which will produce higher RPM and higher risk of rotor components, including the mods, flying a apart at max rpm. In addition, the HP08 2 + 14T can damage or even strip the main gear in a crash or anything that will cause the blades to stop abruptly while spinning.
-Using defective stock parts. Make sure your stock 4G6 has been fully flight tested in full stock configuration to ensure everything is working.
-Using defective materials. Ensure that all materials you use, including glue had the highest quality for these mods
-Do not apply my mods to helicopters other than the 4G6 (or maybe the Novus CP125 too)!!
-The experimental and DIY nature of these mods mean this is not by any means professional work! Just by doing these mods, you are accepting the risks in the pursuit of making your 4G6 a better product. Even if you did everything by the letter, there are still chances of failure although very small, but it's still there! Proceed at your own risk, you have been warned!!
Hi Timewerx, I have a 4g6s, 005 motor, (stock everything) I do not fly 3d yet but I am very close to it.I have went through about 25 flights 5-6 min of FFF, 8s,fast and slow without a crash or hard landing!! I have a stay true head and a hardend main shaft. I am very pleased with my 4g6s with the FB,can I get the same performance from your mod??? I can hover all most hands free with the FB!! or should I try The FBL Head from dkfuji ?? can I just cut the FB off at the ball links on the FB first and try that? Also what do I turn down on the 2610s If I do this mod ??I guess what I want to know is can I get at least the stability that I have now with your mod or the one from dkfuji ? also what should I do frist to go 3d, what maneuver is the easiest to try ? I did all my setup on the 2610s myself with all the help from tomz and dkfuji from rc groups and I love your mods too. I would not be where I am at without all the help from all of you. Thank's George
george48184 is online now Find More Posts by george48184
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:49 PM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george48184 View Post
can I just cut the FB off at the ball links on the FB first and try that?
It would work, I think Henk, aka Hjns was able to try it. But the disadvantage of that compared to my mod using solid metal guide is it will have a lot more slop in the swash phasing. The slop in an FBL head using 3 axis gyro may potentially cause vibration or even instability.

Finally, I wouldn't know how my FBL mod compares to Dkfuji's head. I was only able to test my FBL design in a very limited fashion and never tried Dkfuji's head either. Seems most liked Daryl's FBL CNC head and you got a designer who's actively checking the forums you can't go wrong with his product! I tested my FBL head without the 3-axis gyro (using RX2609 only) which means, I can't do much other than collective pumping and hovering. It's incredibly difficult to fly an FBL 4G6 without a 3 axis gyro(RX2610S). I never had one. I was not able to afford one when it came out.

The easiest '3D' (inverted) to try is flipping. You start out tail in, apply positive pitch then pull back on the elevator. Half way into the flip, you start going to negative pitch smoothly until you go fully inverted.

I would advise not to try it until you've perfected it on the simulator and can do inverted nose in hover. I never did my first real life flip with 4G6 until I was able to do it consistently on the simulator.
Timewerx is offline Find More Posts by Timewerx
Old Aug 10, 2010, 03:17 PM
Basel
Joined Jan 2010
572 Posts
Quote:
...()...or should I try The FBL Head from dkfuji ?? can I just cut the FB off at the ball links on the FB first and try that? Also what do I turn down on the 2610s If I do this mod ??I guess what I want to know is can I get at least the stability that I have now with your mod or the one from dkfuji ? also what should I do frist to go 3d, what maneuver is the easiest to try ? I did all my setup on the 2610s myself with all the help from tomz and dkfuji from rc groups and I love your mods too. I would not be where I am at without all the help from all of you. Thank's George
Yes, you can start with cutting the FB off at the ball links. You may want to have a spare FB lying around in case you do not like the results. However, in case you really would like to experiment, it is actually easier to just remove the FB altogether and just fly without it. You will have to remove the mixer arms and connect the long links directly to the blade grips using M1.2 screws. I would suggest to buy some M1.2 screws and bolts and try like this.

If you really like it, I suggest the Dkfuji head gives the best results, but you should wait until more is known about the V120D02 head in combi with the rx2610S (as the rx2610V seems to have some weird problems).

KR,
Henk
hjns is offline Find More Posts by hjns
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
michigan
Joined May 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjns View Post
Yes, you can start with cutting the FB off at the ball links. You may want to have a spare FB lying around in case you do not like the results. However, in case you really would like to experiment, it is actually easier to just remove the FB altogether and just fly without it. You will have to remove the mixer arms and connect the long links directly to the blade grips using M1.2 screws. I would suggest to buy some M1.2 screws and bolts and try like this.

If you really like it, I suggest the Dkfuji head gives the best results, but you should wait until more is known about the V120D02 head in combi with the rx2610S (as the rx2610V seems to have some weird problems).

KR,
Henk
Thank's guys, but what about the settings on the 2610s ?? and do I have to do anything on my 2801 pro. I would like to know all this before I start to experiment. George
george48184 is online now Find More Posts by george48184
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:57 AM
Basel
Joined Jan 2010
572 Posts
Quote:
Thank's guys, but what about the settings on the 2610s ?? and do I have to do anything on my 2801 pro. I would like to know all this before I start to experiment. George
Find some links to good settings here and here.
hjns is offline Find More Posts by hjns