HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by CyberJay, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 28, 2010, 07:36 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,065 Posts
Discussion
Wing 94" Boeing B-17

Several years ago one of our club members built this beautiful B-17 from a Wing Mfg. kit. He's flown it a few times but wanted to move to smaller planes and I was lucky enough to get my hands on this one. I would also love to add retracts but I'm not sure if that will ever happen.

EDIT: It flies! It flies nicely too!

Here is how it's setup for now:

AUW: 17.5lbs
Static test: 2300 watts (total)

Wing Mfg:
B-17 short kit. Built by Terry S.

Heads Up RC:
3542-10 outrunner 960Kv x4

Master Airscrew:
10x7 3 blade glass fiber props x4

OEM RC:
40a BESC x4

Zippy:
Flightmax 4s1p 2200mah 40c LiPo x4

Futaba:
T12FGA transmitter
R617FS receiver

Hitech:
(6) HS-311 servos (Aileron x2, Elevator x2, Rudder, Gunner)

Radical RC:
2300 A123 RX pack

WS Deans:
Ultra connectors
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
Last edited by CyberJay; Jan 20, 2011 at 05:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2010, 02:18 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,528 Posts
Oh it's a beautiful plane. Best of luck on your maiden with it. Good call in taking your time. That's the hardest thing to do with a new plane.
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Jun 01, 2010, 08:30 PM
Timelord
USA, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2002
2,412 Posts
That is a super looking B-17. Good luck on your first flight!
Doctor Who is offline Find More Posts by Doctor Who
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:44 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,065 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I'm pretty excited.

-Jay
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:12 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,065 Posts
First flight.

The previous owner/builder told me it had a pretty strong pull to the left. He had quite a bit of right rudder trim in it. Also the one time I saw it fly a few years ago I know they had a really hard time getting it to run straight down the runway for takeoff.

What I did is to take a tach and run up all 4 engines. I then measured RPM with the throttle open about 30-40%. Turns out #1 was the strongest motor, #2 was second, #3 was about even with #2 and #4 was the weakest. With the right wing having the two best motors on it, no wonder it pulled to the left.

I moved the motors around so the strongest was inboard on the right side, and the weakest was outboard on the right side. The second strongest was moved to inboard on the left wing and the third strongest was moved to outboard on the left wing. According to my horrible math the total RPMs on both wings should be about equal now.

I straightened the rudder out (took out all the right trim) and went to the field. Ground handling is ok. The plane turns left very well but doesn't turn right quite as well. During high speed taxi it took just a little right rudder to run straight down the runway.

After about a minute of taxi testing I went to the south end of the field, turned 180 and started on my way. The plane lifted off and climbed out with no real issues to speak of. Took no aileron trim. Took a click or three of up elevator. And honestly it was a little hard to tell on the rudder due to cross winds. It will not take much to make it track perfectly straight though.

Due to the small size of the batteries I cut the flight short at 4 minutes and brought her in. Due to said crosswind I landed at about mach .8 to minimize any risks to the plane. Set her down real gentle and other than the longish rollout everything was fine. Even tracked well on it's high speed rollout.

Upon charge I only put about 700mah back in each 2200mah pack. I did spend about a minute on the ground doing taxi tests so I will need a couple more flights before I make a final decision on the timer settings.

All in all, it was a total success.

-Jay
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:21 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
Sweet plane....big too. I can't imagine flying a 17 lb plane....all my foamies combined still weigh in way under that 17lb mark.

Hopefully I can check it out at the upcoming fun fly.
Psycho Synapse is offline Find More Posts by Psycho Synapse