Old May 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Kalispell Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY!
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Discussion
Century Swift NX Thread - Lowest Prices, User Reviews, & More

Century Swift NX Thread - 550 Sized Helicopter

The Long Awaited Century Swift NX has been out for a bit now. I am looking forward to hearing your reviews and thoughts about the heli.

Rather than having Swift NX related posts scattered throughout the forum I figured it would be best if we have one concise thread pertaining to all matters of the Swift NX.

Chris from InsideHeli has the best General All Around Swift Related thread with tons of content which you can find here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880848

But this Thread will be specifically dedicated to the Century Swift NX Helicopter and nothing else.

So post your reviews, thoughts and discussion about the Century Swift NX helicopter so we can all read and benefit as a community!

Tell us what you are using on yours or ask questions about components and stuff to get for it such as:
  1. Gyros
  2. Servos
  3. Batteries
  4. Blades
  5. ESC's
  6. BEC's
  7. And anything else you can think of
Also please post the lowest price you can find for this helicopter as we all like to save money on our helis ;-)

I'll throw in a shameless plug for my site ;-), as of right now May 27 2010 I am pretty dang sure I have the lowest price online.

Regular Price - $219.95
Rc Super Sales Price - $199.97 with discount code located on the site. Century Swift NX Lowest Price

We all look forward to hearing more about this Kick ass low cost helicopter.
RcSuperSales-Net is offline Find More Posts by RcSuperSales-Net
Last edited by RcSuperSales-Net; Jun 02, 2010 at 02:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2010, 01:36 AM
Committed heli addict...
Joined Jan 2010
675 Posts
!!!Wow!!! A swift 16 with a front battery tray, an improved canopy mounting system, an elevator a-arm, plus an auto driven tail with built in gyro tray in an all plastic heli kit that's priced only $20 more than the 16. It can't get any better than this.

My question is:

What happens to cg with 4S/5S/6S packs? Will the heli be nose biased, instead of tail biased as on the 16/550/620?

phoenixheli is offline Find More Posts by phoenixheli
Old May 30, 2010, 09:11 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixheli View Post
My question is:

What happens to cg with 4S/5S/6S packs? Will the heli be nose biased, instead of tail biased as on the 16/550/620?
I've run my Swift 16 and 550 with a modified front slanted battery tray for a long time using 6s 4000 to 4900mah packs. I always struggled with being able to position the pack forward enough on the bottom of the frame to get the CG right and like many others was forced to cut up the canopy to fit around the pack- rather unsightly IMO.

The original canopy's small size imposed considerable limitations on what size lipo could be used in this configuration. I decided to switch to the fiberglass Swift 620 canopy, which has tons more interior volume and thus far greater lipo flexibility- slanted above or below, the lipo is contained. It's nice that they made the NX canopy the same shape as the 620's to give you that same flexibility.

The NX's battery tray and canopy size should allow enough flexibility to position whatever pack you have (within reason) to get a balanced CG.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:41 AM
Furious Predator
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
I just got mine a few days ago, i am excited to get her going!

I have been flying century machines for years, but am only now diving into the electrics. I gave the 450 an honest try for a couple years. but i was never really happy with it...for many many reasons.

I managed to sell my 450, and put the money towards a Swift NX kit with the 6S setup.

A friend had an Align 3G sitting on the shelf, so i got it from him dirt cheap.

I am just saving up some money for servos and lipos.

the setup will be as follows:

Century 1100KV motor
Century 85A ESC
Futaba 9452 for cyclic
Futaba BLS251 for the tail
i will upgrade the head to the all metal swift flybarless head.
The tail will also be upgraded to that of the 50/90 tail with the tripple bearings.
full set of Rotor Techs, likely 550mm for the mains
I will be trying out the 6S 5000mAh Turnigy lipos

The rest will be stock. only the head and tail will be changed...i plan to beat on it

At some point i may upgrade to the metal motor mount, but i am sure the stock one will be fine.

I find it amazing that the parts for the swift are as much or cheaper then the crap 450 i had. WHOO!
Furious Pred. is offline Find More Posts by Furious Pred.
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:11 AM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Kalispell Montana BIG SKY COUNTRY!
Joined Aug 2007
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Pred. View Post
I just got mine a few days ago, i am excited to get her going!

I have been flying century machines for years, but am only now diving into the electrics. I gave the 450 an honest try for a couple years. but i was never really happy with it...for many many reasons.

I managed to sell my 450, and put the money towards a Swift NX kit with the 6S setup.

A friend had an Align 3G sitting on the shelf, so i got it from him dirt cheap.

I am just saving up some money for servos and lipos.

the setup will be as follows:

Century 1100KV motor
Century 85A ESC
Futaba 9452 for cyclic
Futaba BLS251 for the tail
i will upgrade the head to the all metal swift flybarless head.
The tail will also be upgraded to that of the 50/90 tail with the tripple bearings.
full set of Rotor Techs, likely 550mm for the mains
I will be trying out the 6S 5000mAh Turnigy lipos

The rest will be stock. only the head and tail will be changed...i plan to beat on it

At some point i may upgrade to the metal motor mount, but i am sure the stock one will be fine.

I find it amazing that the parts for the swift are as much or cheaper then the crap 450 i had. WHOO!
Nice man, keep us updated and let us know how the build goes and how she flies. I am curious to hear your thoughts and reviews.

I would highly recommend you check out the Hyperion 6s Li-PO's as you get a much better bang for your buck. You figure around $150-$160 for the Hyperion G3 CX 6s 5000mah Li-PO's that last 600-1000 cycles that have massive power the whole time. That ends up being a better deal than the Turnigy Batts IMHO.

Good luck man!

Kyle
http://store.rcsupersales.net
RcSuperSales-Net is offline Find More Posts by RcSuperSales-Net
Old Jun 03, 2010, 09:07 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
I have another recommendation that can save you some money (to go towards those Hyperion packs ): Use Hyperion servos! I have two Compass Knights, one with Futaba 9452s and one with Hyperion DS20s and I can't tell the difference in flight. But the Hyperion servos are about half the price! Kyle sold them to me too.

Now, about those batteries. I have Hyperion packs in my Knight and they do rock. And Kyle is right about the cycle life! But for someone like me who only flies about twice a month, that cycle life advantage is lost! They will die of old age before I can put that many cycles on them, so I probably would have been better off buying Turnigy.

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jun 03, 2010, 10:19 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
I can finally 2nd the Hyperion servo nod. I just put an HP-DS12-GCP ($24 at Aircraft-World) tail servo on my Blade 400. A test flight a little bit ago made me glad I gave it a try since I spent less than half as much for an s9257. I'm going to try the standard sized equivalent Hyperion servo for my next Swift build.

Chris.... 2x per month??? Sad, brother... sad
Old Jun 03, 2010, 03:51 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget01 View Post
Chris.... 2x per month??? Sad, brother... sad
Well, I try to go every Saturday morning... but it doesn't always work out. But sometimes I get full flying weekends, like two fun fly events weekend before last!

-Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Jun 05, 2010, 12:37 AM
Furious Predator
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
Hey guys.

thanks a lot for the tips. I had checked out the Hyperion servoes some time ago, but i had forgotten all about them, and i wasnt aware of their great prices! this will help out a lot!

Thanks for the tip about the hyperion lipos as well, i may give those a try. they do not cost much more then turnigy's to begin with.

the build went together flawlessly, as expected judging by the 3 others i have built
Old Jun 05, 2010, 12:42 AM
Furious Predator
Joined Jun 2010
38 Posts
i was just checking out the specs of those hyperion servos.

they are quick, but have less then half the torque of the futaba 9452. while the futaba 9452 will be slower with no load, under load, the greater torque will make it a faster servo in flight....
Last edited by Furious Pred.; Jun 05, 2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 06:57 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Pred. View Post
i was just checking out the specs of those hyperion servos.

they are quick, but have less then half the torque of the futaba 9452. while the futaba 9452 will be slower with no load, under load, the greater torque will make it a faster servo in flight....
I'm guessing this is a typo and you're talking about the 9254 tail servo, which is rated at 0.06 and 47 oz-in (3.38 kg/cm).

Retail price: $120

The equivalent Hyperion servo Atlas HP-DS20-GMD is rated at 0.07 and 44.4 oz/in (3.2 kg/cm) [based on holding torque spec]. I seriously doubt that even a pro-level pilot could distinguish between those specs.

Typical retail price: $39
Found it at Aircraft-World for $20! You simply cannot beat that value.

They also have the HP-DSx20-GMD for about $10 more. Speed is the same, torque rating is better @ 111.1 oz/in (8.0 kg/cm), and has an aluminum case.

I think my next tail servo is the DSx20.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 07:21 AM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
A couple other points worth mentioning about the DS20 and DSx20- they are spec'd even higher at 6v and are fully 6v compatible, so no 5v stepdown is needed if you run a 6v BEC.

Another plus is the programming options- speed, centering, range of motion are all user definable parameters with the USB programmer. This simplifies getting the servo horn mechanically centered without using any subtrim, which you should avoid anyways.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 07:42 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcSuperSales-Net View Post
But this Thread will be specifically dedicated to the Century Swift NX Helicopter and nothing else.
I just have to do this for all the Swifties that post in the Trex threads..

The new Align Trex 550 is a great heli, check it out.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jun 05, 2010, 07:54 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
I just have to do this for all the Swifties that post in the Trex threads..

The new Align Trex 550 is a great heli, check it out.
Too bad it comes with Align electronics....
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:41 PM
mad heli scientist
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
Too bad it comes with Align electronics....
Exactly.... when they offer it as a "you can choose your own electronics and not have to pay for Align bargain-rebranded electronics" kit, maybe I'll consider it.

I know what I'm doing. I don't need Align to think on my behalf, but thanks anyways. Same for the 700E, where you have to buy a mod kit to even use a motor of your choice.