HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2001, 04:02 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Prop questions or direct me to a FAQ or other info URL.

I need info on props. What are the standards for propellers. Different manufacturers of the same type (electric, slow flier, etc.) and the same diameter and pitch, still seem to be quite different. I have several in my trek to find what works best and some have a much larger surface area.

Sorry, bu this may be a FAQ, although I've read some of them and not found it.
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2001, 04:44 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
There are no standards for props. You can't even rely on the pitch being correct as stated, particularly with the cheaper ones. Basically we are pretty much dependent on people trying a range of different ones and reporting what works for them. Strangely enough the manufacturers don't seem tell you a lot about comparative efficiency.

Despite the simple appearance propellers are complex devices. If you really want to know how they work and how to test them Martin Hepperle has some first class inforamtion but it's fairly heavy going. http://beadec1.ea.bs.dlr.de/Airfoils/propuls1.htm

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin