HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 27, 2010, 01:43 PM
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
Discussion
Easy glider pro or Radian with aileron mod?

Hi i am new here, I have been flying for years but i am looking to learn something new so I want to try FPV sailplanes. I want something inexpensive and have been eye balling the radian and easy glider. From what I read, the radian is hard to mod for ailerons but flies fine without them. The EZG is a little harder to set up but flies ok, also more expensive. I hear the radian is a real good flyer, some say its better than the EZG but I really need ailerons and spoilers because my field is small and surrounded by trees. Since the radian has curved wings, it would be hard to put ailerons on them unless if you heat the wings up with hot water and bend them then install CF strips but that might induce warps.

Which would you guys recommend?
vic_viper is offline Find More Posts by vic_viper
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 01:53 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
It might just be my skill level but I don't think the Radian is a small field plane.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old May 27, 2010, 02:04 PM
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
I heard and saw the videos, it looks like it likes a mile long run way but I was going to add spoilers or straight out speed brakes U-2 style to the sides of the aft fuselage.
Old May 27, 2010, 02:08 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
I fly my Radian in a soccer field and typically hand catch it.....it can fly that slowly. Not sure how large your small field is but I think a soccer field is more than enough room for landing a Radian. And if you do get one you will love how it flies as it is a very stable plane with the upturned wings (which I think would be great for FPV flying).

Good luck,
Brian
buildscapeinc is offline Find More Posts by buildscapeinc
Old May 27, 2010, 02:11 PM
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
Do you think it could be modified for ailerons? I have a hard time flying without them
Old May 27, 2010, 02:32 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
I am sure that it could be. I do not remember hearning of anyone who did it and thinking it was all that necessary. The radian will turn very well without them. It will roll but not to the extent that ailerons will. Then again, if you are looking to do some FPV I do not think you will be doing too many barrel rolls.

As for flying with ailerons being easier (or what you are most used to), just put the rudder on the right stick and you are good to go (no left thumb turning needed).

Brian
Old May 27, 2010, 02:34 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,147 Posts
The Radian flies so well without ailerons, it really isn't necessary. Since you would need to cut the ailerons inside of the turned-up tips, they won't be as effective inboard.

tk
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old May 27, 2010, 02:50 PM
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
For me its the difference between driving a stick and an automatic, easy to do once you get used to it but I am so much more comfortable with ailerons and rudder than just rudder. I tend to do a lot of yanking and banking when it comes to planes that dont like to land
Old May 27, 2010, 03:23 PM
Greenville, SC
Joined Nov 2004
318 Posts
One other option is an Easy Star. I have done some aerial photography and in my therad reading came across a TOOOOOOOONNNNN if info on the Easy Star. It is a pusher so no prop in your way and glies rather well. There are some folks who make aftermarket, drop in canopies that are set up for FPV with pan and tilt built in.

Brian

I was flying with a friend and his overly heavy/repaired Easy Star and watched him thermal it for 20 minutes. It was 6:00pm and overcast.....simply amazing!
Old May 27, 2010, 03:50 PM
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
I looked on horizon, says out of stock for a while, they have free shipping on orders over $120, was hoping to go there to get it. I flew a wild hawk before with mini ac 1216/15 (i think) turning a 5x5.. (I know, wrong plane, wrong motor, wrong prop) and it was...err..boring to say the least.
Old May 27, 2010, 08:43 PM
Denver CO
Joined Oct 2007
275 Posts
I fly a stock Radian and land in a small area all of the time. I am a fairly experianced pilot though. I absolutly would not attempt ailerons on that plane. you would ruin a good thing. If you are really worried about landing space a better mod would be to add spoilers. I just would be worried about the extra weight puting it over a threshold that really hurt the thermaling.

When I am landing I virtually never have used a full battery. ( I have reg gotten over 1 1/2 hour flights on a single battery) If I am going to miss the mark just go around and try again. I have had to do this a couple times when flying in high wind for the plane. If you land with battery left it gives you lots of options.

Bruce M
RBMartin is offline Find More Posts by RBMartin
Old May 28, 2010, 03:51 AM
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
Hmm.. I am not sure if I want to go EZG or radian now. I like the radian for the PNP price but the lack of ailerons will annoy me after a while. What about this trainer for FPV? Probably should be asking in the fpv forums..

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...#quickOverview
Old May 28, 2010, 09:24 AM
Denver CO
Joined Oct 2007
275 Posts
Look a the Multiplex Cularis Glider. Just keep in mind with Flaps and ailerons you add a whole additional layer of complexity. Go with that or the EZ. Its is either something like that or you are going to get into the non foam planes with a decent price increase. It comes down to do you want just an acrobatic plane or something to learn to thermal with. What where you flying before? the non sailplane you are looking at is just a basic trainer type. What is it you are trying to learn?

Bruce
RBMartin is offline Find More Posts by RBMartin
Old May 28, 2010, 09:46 AM
Joined May 2010
9 Posts
I am looking for an FPV platform. i want something stable, sporty, carries a payload and can take off/land in a short distance. I read the alpha is more what i am after. I used to fly sport and large scale 3d planes but i want to learn something new now.
Old May 29, 2010, 02:43 PM
USA, NY, Bellmore
Joined Aug 2006
180 Posts
Vic_viper,
We have several Radians with ailerons at our field; they are mounted inside the curved section and are fairly long. The guys tell me that it works well. I have not flown them.
Idling the motor so the prop extends is a great way to slow the plane down during approach.
I have a stock Radian in my stable.
Rudi
zwever39 is offline Find More Posts by zwever39