HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:55 PM
Rxb
Olympia WA U.S.A.
Joined Apr 2001
48 Posts
Rave
reducing voltage

How can I lower the voltage between my battery and my ESC/BEC so I can use one LiPoly battery to fly different planes. it would be nice if I could use a 11.1v to fly my TM and my SlowStick. I know it can be done but I am not very learned when it comes to electronics. I hope this makes sence

Thank you
Rob
Rxb is offline Find More Posts by Rxb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2003, 09:42 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
No, it can't be done.. at least not easily.
Run a smaller prop to compensate for the higher voltage.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 12, 2003, 10:24 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
and...

If you decide to try using that much voltage, you might consider getting the heat sink that they make for GWS motors. You'll still be past the recommended limit though.

Your best bet is to forget about using that 3 cell pack and use a 2 cell pack or regular NiCd/NiMH pack instead.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Jun 14, 2003, 09:38 AM
North Highland,ca
Joined Dec 2002
551 Posts
Take a look at www.motocalc.com get a trial version it will help
with most of the elec stuff. CU
jmbig is offline Find More Posts by jmbig
Old Jun 14, 2003, 03:02 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Many people are flying IPS motors with 3-cell LiPo packs. As Andy says, you need to run a smaller prop to bring the current level down. When you increase voltage, you must decrease the loading on the motor to reduce the amps.

However, the 300 motor on your Slow Stick requires a lot more current than the IPS motor on your Tiger Moth. So you need larger, heavier cells to handle the requirements of the 300 motor. The IPS motor, on the other hand, only requires about 25% of the current required by the 300. So the optimum cells for the Tiger Moth will be smaller and lighter than the optimum cells for the Slow Stick.

If you run larger cells than you need on a lightweight aircraft, you will just be carrying around dead weight that you don't need, which will hurt overall performance. You should only think of sharing battery packs between aircraft with similar motors and similar power requirements.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich