Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 12, 2003, 03:27 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Jun 2003
60 Posts
Next plane after Wingo. Zagi / Lazy Bee ?

I have a Wingo and was wondering what would be a nice next plane. The Wingo is not very durable but can be fixxed easily. I was thinking of the Zagi-Fixx (looks very durable by the movies on Zagi web page) or the Lazy Bee. Any suggestions? I am still fairly new to this hobby.

Thanks
tblunt is offline Find More Posts by tblunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2003, 09:25 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
I used a wingo as my first airplane. Next I used all the components of the wingo (except the motor) in a Zagi. The Zagi is much much more durable than the Fixx, and is a great step up from the Wingo. Other options include the Switchback and Hangover. Both are great flyers that can be setup mild to wild. They are balsa, but are such easy flyers that you won't need to repair them often.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Jun 12, 2003, 11:13 PM
Fly
Veracitarian Muser
Tempe, Arizona USA
Joined Dec 2001
582 Posts
I love my Lazy Bee! It's my #1 bird. My second favorite plane is my Lady Bug (Baby Bee). They are easy to fly, especially the Lazy Bee, but will go wild when you let them. They are both a hoot to do close in clowning around with you in the center. You can almost let your transmitter antenna act as your control line! If you search for Fly & Bee, you can find pictures of both here on ezone.
Fly is offline Find More Posts by Fly
Old Jun 13, 2003, 09:55 AM
San Diego
Joined May 2003
49 Posts
I would steer clear of the Zagi Fixx, based on the posts I've read in the Foamies forum and specifically the following thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=125024

I've also seen them fly and I wasn't impressed by the performance. If you are looking for a flying wing, you might want to take a look at an EPP foam wing like a Wing Warrior.
ARam is offline Find More Posts by ARam
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:35 AM
McMinnville, TN
Joined May 2002
254 Posts
You might also look at the Great Planes Slinger. On the foamy forum, this guy said it rolled faster than his Zagi because of the elevon shape. I've never flown a Zagi but I seen one fly before. Also, it goes together in about 30 minutes. Very durable too.

http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1180.html
Air 1 is offline Find More Posts by Air 1
Old Jun 13, 2003, 11:22 AM
Go Leafs Go!
Georgetown,ON,Canada
Joined Jan 2002
259 Posts
My vote is for a Zagi 400X. I got one a few months ago and it is now my favorite plane. Easily handles wind, is durable, easy to build and fly.
Fantam is online now Find More Posts by Fantam
Old Jun 13, 2003, 12:28 PM
Hiigaran member
'on a mountian in New Hampshire
Joined Aug 2002
901 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my Lazy Bee. I even have the float set and the autogyro conversion kit for it. It is not exactly a beginner model as far as kit building is concerned but there is always the ARF. Good machine, very versatile and fun to fly.

-LY20
Lone Yankee is offline Find More Posts by Lone Yankee
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:02 PM
gotta have just one more
Atlanta
Joined Jan 2003
50 Posts
Take a look at the Mini Speed Wing, its small, flies fast and slow, very easy to build and tough as nails. As far as 48'' wings, the XE-2 or the windrider are good choices. Depends on how much space you have to fly in. The Carbon Falcon is a really different wing that's high on the cool factor and can be flown in tight spaces. An IFO is a winner and a very tough wing/plane/flat/thing. Lots of fun

Just My 2 cents
photoman is offline Find More Posts by photoman
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:34 PM
Apple Valley, California
Joined Jun 2003
10 Posts
About a "Bubba Bee"

Hello to you, tblunt~

After more than 600 flights with my venerable "Wingo," I decided to pick up an ARF Lazy Bee, as it is so ugly-cute it begs to be "Taken home"- which I did!

Although to date I've not logged as many flights with it as I did with the Wingo, when finally airborne with an acceptable rate of airspeed, it goes great... and handles very well. I really enjoy it! However, and for what it's worth, if you decide to go with one, give some thought to the power system you'll use.

Currently, I'm on my third power package.... The first was using the recommended WattAge 400 Cobalt, which required a really excessive take off run (Bummer considering the narrow Bee gear arrangement!) And the airborne performance was pretty poor also (Aircraft weight was about as advertised, and an 8 cell, 1700 mAh NiCad pack was used....) On the other side of the performance coin, however, is the fact that my flying area is at an altitude of about 3400 feet MSL, at at temperatures- at times -reaching towards 100-105 degrees F.

My second setup was with a geared, Dymond480, which also failed to cut the getty-up-and-go mustard for me, so.........

I've now just finished switching over to an Ion Storm (600 car motor I believe) No flight with it yet, but expectations are high!

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide to go with!
Bubba Whoosh is offline Find More Posts by Bubba Whoosh