HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2010, 06:06 PM
NSW Australia
Joined May 2010
10 Posts
Help!
Jim Walker U Reely Hand Control

G'Day folks,
I'm brand new to this game, I'm seventy two years of age and want to fly control line aircraft.
Now.....I bought a Jim WAlker U Reely Control Handle.
Question:- How do I connect the wires to the Control Handle???
Probably sounds like a dumb question, but I've never used one of these before.
Any info would be appreciated people.
colt45rifle is offline Find More Posts by colt45rifle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2010, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
I'm 75 and advise you not to use the U Reely for a number of reasons. There are a number of good handles available. There is a Sullivan adjustable handle which can be bought at hobby shops on occasion. I don't particularly like it because the closest together line spacing is too wide to suit me. But it will serve you much better than a U Reely.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old May 27, 2010, 12:19 AM
Joined Oct 2008
198 Posts
I agree, the u-reely is unreliable. Go to http://www.brodak.com/ for a good selection of handles lines and all things CL
flyelectcl is offline Find More Posts by flyelectcl
Old May 27, 2010, 01:17 AM
NSW Australia
Joined May 2010
10 Posts
Thanks very much for you input chaps....much appreciated.
I've had a look at the Brodak handles....much better design!
I'll file the two Jim Walker handles for posterity.
Thanks again.....back to the building board.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:21 AM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Gee. Its interesting to find the U-reely so bad after I used one back in the late 1940s and early 1950s for about eight years and loved it.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old May 27, 2010, 07:54 PM
NSW Australia
Joined May 2010
10 Posts
Planeman, how you doin' ?
Could you explain to me how to conect the wires to the UReely please ?
Yours is a totally opposite opinion to others on this matter, I'm interested to hear your side of the discussion ?
When I ask, how to conect the wires, I mean do I have to pull the handle apart to do this or am I missing something here??? JT
Old May 27, 2010, 08:31 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
Well colt45rifle, my U-reely is somewhere in my shop. I haven't messed with it in over 45 years and can't recall how to do it. I'll see if I can find and get back to you. No promises though. The shop is very large and has LOTS of drawers. It'll take some looking.

Planeman
Old May 27, 2010, 09:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
My problem with the U Reely is that I first flew with one after having flown with conventional handles for some 50 years. No doubt, if I had started out with one, I would have fond memories of it.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old May 27, 2010, 10:23 PM
NSW Australia
Joined May 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planeman View Post
Well colt45rifle, my U-reely is somewhere in my shop. I haven't messed with it in over 45 years and can't recall how to do it. I'll see if I can find and get back to you. No promises though. The shop is very large and has LOTS of drawers. It'll take some looking.

Planeman
Ain't it grand at our age? Everything old is new again!! Just love it.
Planeman, it doesn't matter how long it takes, just think of all those odd things hidden away in those draws, that you're likely to stumble over....May bring back great memories? Go for it mate !! Cheers JT
Old May 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
NSW Australia
Joined May 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
My problem with the U Reely is that I first flew with one after having flown with conventional handles for some 50 years. No doubt, if I had started out with one, I would have fond memories of it.
G'Day Jim,
My quote to Planeman goes for you too mate ! Have great day ! cheers JT
Old May 28, 2010, 01:14 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
"just think of all those odd things hidden away in those draws, that you're likely to stumble over....May bring back great memories?"

I know I have a good bit of old stuff like a large glass jar of old rubber wheels with aluminum hubs from the early 1950s, a Babcock single channel 27 mh RC transmitter from 1955, and two old Model T (car) spark coils I used to start a DynaJet pulse jet (1955). I'm sure there's some other stuff crammed into some of the drawers.

Lord! I'm getting OLD!

Planeman
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2008
12 Posts
What you have to do is take the handle apart. You then take your line(and try not to get it messed up) and cut it in half or just take two lines but it doesn't matter. You will see two holes in the reel, insert the wires in there and then twist and solder them. Put the handle back together and then reel em in.
teedee049 is offline Find More Posts by teedee049