HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2010, 10:24 PM
Endicott,N.Y.
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
Discussion
Radian or Easy Glider

Looking to buy an e-glider. Which is better in your opinion and why? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
I have too many projects on my bench, so I'm looking for an ARF. Thanks for your help.
Jim Carr is offline Find More Posts by Jim Carr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 11:52 PM
Life is Good!
Germany
Joined Apr 2005
1,200 Posts
This thread is discussing the Radian, the Ascent 450 and the Easy Glider. I have all three and the Radian was definitely the easiest and quickest to get in the air.
Tank52 is offline Find More Posts by Tank52
Old May 25, 2010, 11:58 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
I would say go with the easy glider, but only because it's a full house sailplane.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old May 26, 2010, 12:02 AM
Joined May 2009
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Carr View Post
Looking to buy an e-glider. Which is better in your opinion and why? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
I have too many projects on my bench, so I'm looking for an ARF. Thanks for your help.
Hey Jim, I was just in the same exact boat as you are. I currently own two easy gliders both the pro and the electric. I was having trouble deciding which next plane to buy next either the ascent or the radian. I have heard that alot of people really dig the easy glider but I just could not get into it. I felt that when soaring that the ailerons were more of a hassle than the concept of a 3 channel plane. If you are wanting to slope and get to some speed then I would pick the easy glider, but if you are like me who just likes to hunt for thermals at the field then I would go with the radian. For the bang for your buck I feel that the radian beats the easy glider hands down. If you are wondering what I picked between the radian and the ascent, I bought the radian ( actually my wife bought it for me). I noticed that the easy glider was only fun when I used it as a hotliner. I also discovered that parts are hard to come by for multiplex stuff. No local shops here stock parts and everything needs to be ordered. I also noticed that usually if you have to order online your lucky if they have the parts in stock also. So I have decided to just say to hell with it, both my easy gliders are gutted and now sit on the shelf and that is most likely where they will be. The radian rocks. Also, I have heard through many threads that when the radian came out, the easy glider hit the shelf and gathers dust for ALOT of flyers. Thats something to think about.
Danielocean is offline Find More Posts by Danielocean
Last edited by Danielocean; May 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: I pooped my pants.
Old May 26, 2010, 07:28 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What conditions do you expect to fly under? These models are suited to quite different conditions..
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Last edited by Andy W; May 26, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 08:21 AM
Joined Nov 2008
248 Posts
You might consider a Graupner Junior S as well. I chose the Junior S over the Easyglider partly because I considered it a better value. Locally, the Junior S is a little more expensive than the Easyglider, but it includes a brushless motor as well as a Cam folding propeller. I also liked the removeable T tail on the Graupner compared to to fixed conventional tail on the Easyglider. I do however have no experience with the Easyglider. Unfortunately I haven't flown the Junior much, as my DX6i went bananas, and is currently admitted to the RC hospital. But at least I can say that compared to my Radian, the Junior is flies quite a bit faster, responds faster to stick input, and penetrates wind better. With a computer radio, spoilerons can be had for free, since it's an aileron ship.
knutb is online now Find More Posts by knutb
Old May 26, 2010, 01:01 PM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielocean View Post
Hey Jim, I was just in the same exact boat as you are. I currently own two easy gliders ... I felt that when soaring that the ailerons were more of a hassle than the concept of a 3 channel plane. If you are wanting to slope and get to some speed then I would pick the easy glider, but if you are like me who just likes to hunt for thermals at the field then I would go with the radian...
I'm new to the Radian but have spent a few years with my Easy Gliders and my thoughts are similar. The ailerons are cool and give you a lot to mess around with (computer radio mixes, replacing gear teeth when the servos get stripped, replacing broken control rod horns and connectors, shopping for and installing pushrod covers so the servos stop stripping and the control rod horns stop breaking, coordinating aileron and rudder, setting up spoilerons on your radio and getting them dialed in, replacing servos, finding better ways to attach the replacement servos, routing out the servo wells to fit the replacement servos, making CA hinges when a control surface hinge rips...) but in a lot of ways are a big distraction from simply flying, hunting for, finding and using thermals.

I can be fun to mess with the extra stuff, though.

But when you get a thermal and the aircraft gets far away from you, you can't really see what's going on with the ailerons and rudder anyway. Anyway, I've enjoyed both aircraft. Depends what you're looking for, really.
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Old May 26, 2010, 01:24 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
What conditions do you expect to fly under? These models are suited to quite different conditions..
Absolutely. You really need to give more information about what you want from your plane, these two gliders aren't the same.
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old May 27, 2010, 10:47 PM
Endicott,N.Y.
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
I really don't have specific "conditions" I expect to fly under. I'm looking for an "all purpose" e-glider. Climb and float around,maybe a little slope soaring, something I can put lights on and fly in the late evening when it's too dark to see my other planes.
I've never had a real glider,only an EasyStar which I bought to use as a trainer to teach others to fly and am enjoying flying it so I thought I'd try someyhing else. I was curious if having ailerons made a big difference?
Thanks for all your comments.
Jim Carr is offline Find More Posts by Jim Carr
Old May 28, 2010, 01:12 AM
dmt
near Gangneung, Korea
Joined Jul 2004
688 Posts
I'd say the Easy Glider is more of an all-arounder. The ailerons make it more interesting as a sloper, as well as more interesting for flying around as a powered aircraft. And you can of course thermal with it. It's not specialized as a power plane though, nor a specialized sloper, nor a specialized thermalling ship. To me, the Easy Glider is kind of the definition of an all-arounder electric sailplane.

The Radian, on the other hand, is more like a big EasyStar that specializes in thermalling.
dmt is offline Find More Posts by dmt
Old May 28, 2010, 11:15 AM
E-Gliders
South Carolina
Joined May 2009
1,305 Posts
easy glider
outngo is offline Find More Posts by outngo
Old May 28, 2010, 02:36 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
An Easy Glider would be a upward progression from a Easy Star in terms of glide performance & controllability. A Radian would be a progression in terms of glide performance but not in controllability.
The Easy Glider is also more versatile than the Radian & able to be flown in stronger winds especially if you are prepared to add the ballast as described in the instructions.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc
Old May 28, 2010, 05:31 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What they said.

Especially if you plan to slope it, the easy-glider will be a better choice.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 28, 2010, 06:09 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,268 Posts
You want pure thermals > Radian.
All around > EG, but it's not quite the thermal plane the Radian is.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old May 28, 2010, 06:12 PM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
I use two separate Tx memories for my EG, one for thermal the other for slope. Main difference is that the slope version has greater aileron throws with no differential.
patmcc is online now Find More Posts by patmcc