Old May 25, 2010, 01:46 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,221 Posts
Build Log
My FPV / UAV Sky Surfer finally done.

Finally finished my skysurfer FPV / UAV plane.

Total weight without batteries 1.6lbs

Equipement used:

1) Sky Surfer
2) Ardupilot, ArduShield, ArduIMU+, GPS (autopilot system)
3) Remzibi OSD
4) Sony 1/3 CCD Color Camera with wide angle lens
5) 1.3ghz 700mw Video TX (1280mhz)
6) 6ch Spektrum receiver
7) 40amps ESC
8) 2210kv motor with 6x4 APC propeller
9) Motorola i290 Live GPS tracking phone (no battery, power is suppllied by main battery)

I will post more pictures of the ground station and FPV videos soon
crd is online now Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 01:51 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Nice clean build, is that a stryker engine mount?
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old May 25, 2010, 02:08 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.au View Post
Nice clean build, is that a stryker engine mount?
Yeap, I used heat gun to bend the sides and glued in place. It gives me an extra 1-1/2" of height for a bigger propeller plus I can put the ESC under the motor.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2010, 07:47 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,221 Posts
Here is the ground station.

Eveything will be wired under the equipment, and the receiver and antenna will be mounted on a 8 feet tripod for better reception. I also added the GPS to the kit so if I crash I just check the recorded video and input the last LAT/LON cordenates recorded on the video into the GPS and track my plane.
I do have LIVE GPS tracking on my plane but sometimes will not work if I loose signal from the Sprint network.

The LCD is a 7" VGA Monitor used for Car PC's, high resolution and it works perfectly for this setup, the recording device is a Archos 605wifi (Im still waiting for the DVR adapter)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2010, 07:59 AM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2010
951 Posts
Nice build, very clean!
fireslayer26 is online now Find More Posts by fireslayer26
Old May 27, 2010, 08:23 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,951 Posts
How about cooling for the VTX?
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old May 27, 2010, 09:05 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Looks a very tidy and well thought out build.

To what extent have you tested different portions of your planes telemetry (both in real flight tests, also on the ground)? Referring to your Specs, are you running a Spektrum Transmitter for your R/C?

So do you have any specific missions for this plane (ie: surveying work / ground auditing), or just as a "fun" project?

I'd love to have the UAV aspect to play with. Still trying to master my FPV, and i've been through 3 plane platforms already!

Look forward to hearing about future flights / videos as they come! Great work.
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old May 27, 2010, 10:16 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,174 Posts
Very nice build mate, looks spotless, i look forward to upcoming videos from it
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old May 27, 2010, 11:46 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
How about cooling for the VTX?
Actually, I'm making a new electronic pod that allows the air to cool the VTX and I also did some triming around the VTX so the air can flow towards the back using the current ESC cables hole, everyhing now will be more on the inside of the fuselage, and I will be putting the batteries under the wing joints to help CG. this way it will be easier to change. The camera now has a adjustable lens, with manual zoom. I'm still under 1.6lbs without batteries.

This are some pictures I took of the new mods, I still need to make a new pod for the electronics.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2010, 11:58 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstreaming View Post
Looks a very tidy and well thought out build.

To what extent have you tested different portions of your planes telemetry (both in real flight tests, also on the ground)? Referring to your Specs, are you running a Spektrum Transmitter for your R/C?

So do you have any specific missions for this plane (ie: surveying work / ground auditing), or just as a "fun" project?

I'd love to have the UAV aspect to play with. Still trying to master my FPV, and i've been through 3 plane platforms already!

Look forward to hearing about future flights / videos as they come! Great work.
So far this airplane will be for fun, I'm using a 1.2ghz VTX and the Spektrum 2.4ghz radio wich I will modified and add a booster for longer range. (DX7 with AR6200/satellite)

I haven't tested the range yet, but I dont pretend to fly to far, FOR NOW until I test everything 3-4 times.

More importantly is that I dont have my HAM TECH license yet to play with this legally, for now I will fly the airplane with the Ardupilot and a stripped HD Kodak Zi6 camera recording inboard. just to practice with the weight etc.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 06:01 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Hi crd, sounds great. Also you have obviously done your research as you have a very tidy and well built plane there.

Best of luck in your maiden flights. Sometimes its best to start with just the basics (components) onboard, then add 1 piece at a time, until you have a fully loaded, reliable FPV / UAV ship.

You'll also probably get feedback on your choice of running Spektrum radio gear , but considering your model has UAV capabilities integrated - a radio lockoup will mean nothing, LOL, as your plane will simply say "oh well", turn itself around and fly HOME!

All the best, defo keep us updated on how it flies! This would be my DREAM craft!
Old May 28, 2010, 08:09 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetstreaming View Post
Hi crd, sounds great. Also you have obviously done your research as you have a very tidy and well built plane there.

Best of luck in your maiden flights. Sometimes its best to start with just the basics (components) onboard, then add 1 piece at a time, until you have a fully loaded, reliable FPV / UAV ship.

You'll also probably get feedback on your choice of running Spektrum radio gear , but considering your model has UAV capabilities integrated - a radio lockoup will mean nothing, LOL, as your plane will simply say "oh well", turn itself around and fly HOME!

All the best, defo keep us updated on how it flies! This would be my DREAM craft!
I will be making this mod to my radio, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1247186
and all the antennas on the Receiver will be modified for higher gain, if I can get 1.5miles of control I will be happy, I might upgrade in the future to UHF on my TX and RX but for now, the spektrum should work fine, or at least thats what Im hoping.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2010, 08:50 AM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,049 Posts
I would launch at 1/2 power. With the motor that high it is going to exacerbate the EZ's tendency to nose into the ground. A friend with a good toss is necessary.
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old May 28, 2010, 09:50 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
Or, just give it a good toss under NO power, and see if you have proper smooth forward flight/glide until it lands, with no surprises. I'd suspect trying to launch WITH throttle would just magnify any "issues" you'd see, just by having a test throw, without power.

....after all, the EasyStar is a glider, so you should still see straight/level glide either way.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 10:22 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,221 Posts
Here is a little update on the pod design , now everything will be installed on the pod (spektrum RX, rembizi osd, camera, ardupilot hardware, video TX)

The batteries or battery will be installed from the bottom center of the airplane under the wings area, no need to remove the camera pod each time. Empty pod weight only 68grams

Videos soon.

RCG Plus Member