HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2010, 05:02 AM
Joined Nov 2004
962 Posts
Discussion
New axi2203/40vpp

Hi guys, i have interesting news to share. After IITOP competition when we saw Andres Leoni experiments with 2203/46 motor and VPP, we decide to tune this engine and make special version for Mamo models Upsidedown system. Martin Muller, Andres Leoni, Gernot Bruckmann and myself were involved in helping AXI make right adjustments. And here is result AXI 2203 /40VPP, specially designed to fit Martin Muller upsidedown propeller. I will be testing new motor in MM Extra 300 that i won in last German F3P championship organized by DMFV. I still like Sultimate, but decide i want to try something new, besides if i don't do it now i have feeling this kit will stay not assembled for long time

Here is prototype test by Andres:
test2203/403607,4 (2 min 58 sec)

test2203/40360-7,4 (3 min 0 sec)
3Don is offline Find More Posts by 3Don
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 05:45 AM
Janne Lappi, F3A Team Finland
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Sep 2008
129 Posts
This will be an interesting new little motor! What is the power like compared to normal AXI 2203/46 or Race? What kind of servo does this need?

When will this be available?

Janne Lappi
JanneL is offline Find More Posts by JanneL
Old May 25, 2010, 06:43 AM
Joined Nov 2004
962 Posts
Janne i would guess power will be between 46 and Race. 18,5g motor capable of VPP flyin on 2s is very nice for small light models and small European halls. From Andres experience, plane weight is very important. Goal with this motor is about 150g rtf.

I know Gernot and Devin had some tests with Upsidedown prop and and Race motor, in that case motor become hot, so this really was not option for average customer. In any case with super light plane trust was impressive:
2010 ETOC Devin McGrath Freestyle 1.avi (2 min 50 sec)

For release date, i will let you know as soon as i hear back from AXI.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:51 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
WOW, that is awesome Don!! I was hoping to see this combo, the AXi motors are all I use mainly the 2203-46 for my indoor models, this will make a great combo. I have a Mamo unit waiting for this motor

John
xtremeRCpilot is online now Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old May 25, 2010, 11:37 AM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
947 Posts
Nice spinner Don

Devin McGrath
Devin McGRath is online now Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old May 25, 2010, 12:07 PM
Joined Nov 2004
962 Posts
Yes Devin bling bling spiner from capable airplane, thx again for it mate. By the way what size blades you and other pilots were using in ETOC?
Old May 25, 2010, 01:25 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Don View Post
Yes Devin bling bling spiner from capable airplane, thx again for it mate. By the way what size blades you and other pilots were using in ETOC?
Donatas,

I used 8" blades but on a 3S battery. Most others used 9" on 2S batteries.

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old May 25, 2010, 02:22 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Sep 2008
129 Posts
Can the axi /40vpp handle 9" vpp prop with 2s?

What kind of servo do you ETOC guys use in vpp?

Janne Lappi
Old May 25, 2010, 03:35 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
947 Posts
I used 8" on 2 cells

Devin McGrath
Devin McGRath is online now Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old May 25, 2010, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Hello.
Janne Lappi, I use Dymond D47 for VPP, this servo work very well for this system, and the weight is just 4,7 grams. Mr Martin Muller use a little servo (3,7 grams) and work perfectly on his Extra.
About blades, i prefer 9" for 2S setup, with 360 mha and 25C in continuos i made 3 minutes constantly negative torque roll. The plane, like DOnatas said, must weight 150 grams, less is better for sure.
Is a very fun system and motor because the low mass, i crash a lot of times my plane training and I need just change the blades!!!
I hope this help you.
Regards.
Andres Leoni.
aleoni is offline Find More Posts by aleoni
Old May 26, 2010, 01:43 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,937 Posts
Cant wait as I love my axi 2203 motors and really look forward to trying this set up
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old May 26, 2010, 04:15 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Sep 2008
129 Posts
Thank you Anders. I'm surprised about the small size of the servo. I thought it has to be much stroger. I've heard that with other vpp systems servo has to be stronger than an average indoor plane servo. So it's very nice to be able to use that light servo, as you said, the lightness of an indoor plane is very important and the vpp adds always some weight. I've noticed 150g is maybe a bit too much for about 85cm Freestyle/3d plane. 140 and above it are good.

How do you use the variable pitch feature on your throttle stick, is there some standard style to set the throttle positions and flight modes? Is the vpp always on or do you have a flight mode for normal flying, too?
Old May 26, 2010, 05:24 AM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Hello.
Normally I use a Heli program for VPP style. Is the best way for keep the control in normal phase of flight. Program Normal phase, this is only with positive pitch, works like standard propeller and the function is very simple, lineal throtle curve. In Idle up 1 the program is different, here we have postive and negative pitch with "V" throtle curve. The more important is the hold function, this help you in dangerous situation, is just throtle cut off.

Hope this help you.

Regards.

Andres Leoni.
Old May 26, 2010, 08:59 AM
Joined Jan 2009
83 Posts
Hello friends.
Here a put other view from the same video on You Tube:

Andres Leoni, Prueba de Motores Modificados HD. (2 min 53 sec)

Regards.

Andres.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:18 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Sep 2008
129 Posts
Thanks again Andres, it will help!

Is this VPP system that you use exactly the same as the one that mamo-models sells on their web site?

http://www.mamo-modelltechnik.com/pr...er/upsidedown/

I'm thinking to try this VPP with 46 axi. First I could broke my old 46 by training VPP flying (=crashing) and then buy the new /40 motor