8 governer ....dont know what to set it at...default off
glhelinski is offline Find More Posts by glhelinski
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2010, 11:50 AM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
help please!
ok, i got the transmitter programming thing all worked out and now that part is working and i understand it. all batteries are strong. throttle range is set.

But the motor is still doing this twitching thing.
here is a video of what it the motor is doing (sorry for the quality).
video-2010-05-29-12-17-07 (0 min 15 sec)

these are the settings that i have put into the esc using the programming card:
1 brake off
2 batt type lith
3 cut off soft
4 volt cut medium
5 start normal
6 timing middle
7 tune....
8 governer off

so can anyone tell what is wrong? I have tried low, medium and high settings for the timing (while all the others set as above)??? I'm frustrated. is this motor bad?
Old May 29, 2010, 04:15 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
You said that you had an external UBEC and that you cut the red wire from the ESC. That's fine, as long as you didn't cut the black as well.

What I would try next would be to unplug the ESC from the receiver and plug a servo into that channel instead (usually channel 3). The servo should move full travel as you move your transmitter throttle from min to max.

If that works, then your motor is probably no good.
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old May 29, 2010, 04:26 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
Just had another thought. I have the same motor, and the wires inside are very very close to the screw holes. If your mounting screws are too long, they can cut into the wires and cause a short, or prevent the motor from turning.
Old May 29, 2010, 06:12 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger View Post
You said that you had an external UBEC and that you cut the red wire from the ESC. That's fine, as long as you didn't cut the black as well.
yes, but am now using a turnigy plush 40 esc, which the wires did not get cut (the red one is just pulled out of the harness)
Quote:
What I would try next would be to unplug the ESC from the receiver and plug a servo into that channel instead (usually channel 3). The servo should move full travel as you move your transmitter throttle from min to max.
yeah, it does appear that the servo's move full travel when i move the transmitter from min to max
Quote:
If that works, then your motor is probably no good.
so do those settings appear to be ok that i had put into the ESC?

what i was thinking i would do now is to resolder the motor connectors again. i'm not the best solder-er but the ones that i just did on the esc, i'm pretty sure i did a good job on those but i need to redo the motor ones. maybe only two of them are making good contact????

i'll also check on the bolts going into the motor as your other post suggested. i'm quite sure they are not too long because i was conscious of that before from reading it somewhere.
Old May 29, 2010, 06:27 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
Your start mode would be better set to "super soft" otherwise you might end up stripping your main gear.

Also, how much throttle are you giving the motor when you try it? A little "jiggliging" is normal for a brushless when it first starts up until it determines what direction it is moving in. Without getting too technical, it needs to be spinning fast enough to generate back emf in order to determine it's direction. If you were to test a motor at a very low speed, it's possible it might not have enough back emf. Give it at least 25%.

Resoldering the connections if you are unsure about them is also a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushle...electric_motor

"Controllers that sense rotor position based on back-EMF have extra challenges in initiating motion because no back-EMF is produced when the rotor is stationary. This is usually accomplished by beginning rotation from an arbitrary phase, and then skipping to the correct phase if it is found to be wrong. This can cause the motor to run briefly backwards, adding even more complexity to the startup sequence."
Old May 29, 2010, 06:34 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
i start off slow but end up giving it full throttle.

..but.....i have backed off the meshing so it is not engaging the main blades at all.

is that a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger View Post
Your start mode would be better set to "super soft" otherwise you might end up stripping your main gear.

Also, how much throttle are you giving the motor when you try it? A little "jiggliging" is normal for a brushless when it first starts up until it determines what direction it is moving in. Without getting too technical, it needs to be spinning fast enough to generate back emf in order to determine it's direction. If you were to test a motor at a very low speed, it's possible it might not have enough back emf. Give it at least 25%.

Resoldering the connections if you are unsure about them is also a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushle...electric_motor

"Controllers that sense rotor position based on back-EMF have extra challenges in initiating motion because no back-EMF is produced when the rotor is stationary. This is usually accomplished by beginning rotation from an arbitrary phase, and then skipping to the correct phase if it is found to be wrong. This can cause the motor to run briefly backwards, adding even more complexity to the startup sequence."
Old May 29, 2010, 06:58 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
>..but.....i have backed off the meshing so it is not engaging the main blades at all. is that a problem?

No. I set mine up by leaving the pinion gear off completely until I was sure everything was working properly.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:07 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
sweeet... it's working. all i can guess is that from the beginning the one connection was bad. once i took it off and stripped off the shrink tubing, it was apparent that the solder was bad.

thanks monkeyhanger....i love the help i get it here...it never fails that i learn. i was not able to make ESC settings from the transmitter until you told me that i also needed to move the throttle trim up and down along with the throttle stick. until you told me that, it was not working. again... thanks monkeyhanger and others the pitched in.
Old May 30, 2010, 09:01 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
>sweeet... it's working.

Good stuff! I hope you didn't solder the ESC wires directly to the motor wires. The should have bullet connectors so that you can disconnect the motor easily when required. I also hope you are 100% confident in your soldering before you lift off for the first time
Old May 30, 2010, 09:37 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
Yeah I used bullet connectors....I'm a newbie but not enough to solder wire to wire :-) is it possible to be 100% sure of a solder connection? I think I did good on them. Now battery connectors...not sure. I use xt60 and they like to melt too easily. Next I have to take the tail assembly apart cuz it's binding a bit...but that I can handle...thanks again dude