SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2010, 10:24 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
Help!
Turnigy Typhoon 2215

Hi,
I have a copter x se that has yet to be flown though I'm close i hope. I have a Turnigy Typhoon 2215H and Towerpro H40a for motor and esc. I also have a bec.

My transmitter is an exceed 6ch 2.4ghz with matching receiver.

I'm powering this thing up for the first time. I turn on the transmitter with throttle cut switch turned on and the throttle stick down. <<THEN I PLUG IN THE BATTERY TO THE ESC>>

The heli makes a cute little tune.

While leaving the throttle in the down position, I turn off the throttle cut switch and the motor starts to move .... kinda jitters in one direction and back in the other .... repeats this for a few seconds then stops altogether.

If I switch the throttle cut back on and then off....the motor repeats that same motion.

I have tried to do the throttle range setting as the esc has advised (it tells me to turn on xmitter, move throttle up, plug in battery, wait 2 seconds for a couple beeps, then wait 5 seconds for a short little tune). Which I did that.

But nothing changes. Have I not actually completed the throttle range setting? Or is something else wrong?

Thanks much,
Greg
glhelinski is offline Find More Posts by glhelinski
Last edited by glhelinski; May 25, 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: a little clarification
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2010, 01:00 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,290 Posts
i have the same combo.
First program the ESC timing on medium. now it might run again. if not try high timing.

Dont have th active when connecting the lipo. it messes up the throttlerange.

flip th after the ready beeps and then get the heli ready for flight ( mount canopy / check servo's etc)
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old May 25, 2010, 04:11 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
i'll give it a shot and post the results back as soon as i do. thanks!

ok, i gave it a shot. these directions are very cryptic. i pretty much am having no luck even getting response to what the directions are telling me should be happening. any hints on this esc and how to program the thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
i have the same combo.
First program the ESC timing on medium. now it might run again. if not try high timing.

Dont have th active when connecting the lipo. it messes up the throttlerange.

flip th after the ready beeps and then get the heli ready for flight ( mount canopy / check servo's etc)
Last edited by glhelinski; May 25, 2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: tried it
Old May 25, 2010, 04:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
819 Posts
is the throttle hold active when you program the throttle range?

is yes, turn it off and program it again.
derelicte is online now Find More Posts by derelicte
Old May 25, 2010, 04:49 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
no, throttle hold is not active. it is going into programming mode because it's going thru the 8 steps and i can tell that it is going thru each one ... but i just cant tell what i'm supposed to do to set to a different value.. and then once i do, how to tell that i set a new value. and i'm not exactly sure i know how to "exit" so it saves the values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
is the throttle hold active when you program the throttle range?

is yes, turn it off and program it again.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:02 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
Here is a good manual

www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1268.pdf

Once you are in programming mode, wait for the setting that you want to change, and then move the throttle to the bottom. It will then cycle through the options for that particular setting. Right after the setting you want, move the throttle back to the top.

If you havent done the throttle calibration, or can't get it to work, when you move the throttle up and down, also move the trim tab at the same time. That might solve your problem. In other words, full throttle means left stick all the way up, trim all the way up. Full down means stick down and trim tab down.

You should also check with the t6config program to make sure the throttle signal is moving throughout its full range. Your pitch curve should be 0,25,50,75,100 until you've programmed the esc.

You should also watch this:

Program motor speed controller ESC Tower Pro controleur.MPG (3 min 41 sec)

Notice how when he wants to change the brake setting, he waits for one beep, then moves the stick to the bottom. He then gets 1 beep, 2 beeps. 1 beep, 2 beeps. 1 beep, 2 beeps over and over. After 1 beep, he moved the stick back to the top. This set brake mode to option 1.
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old May 25, 2010, 07:29 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
wow, thanks. i am DYING to try it RIGHT NOW but it's time to spend time with the wife for the rest of the night.....i WILL be checkin it out probably as soon as i get home from work tomorrow. i'm pissed at myself that i have a esc programming card but i was stupid and cut off the power connector instead of just pulling it out of the harness (because the bec has the power...damn it) but thanks, i'll post the results as soon as i can. you're all so helpful.
Old May 26, 2010, 03:29 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
i'm guessing this esc is bad. when i find the programmable item (step2) that i want to change, i move the stick down....(what i expect to hear is it cycling thru the different values in step3) but instead of going to step 3, it continues back on to step 2, which wants me to pick the item again.

i have a turnigy plush 40....maybe i'll just go solder / prep that one and give that one a shot. with the video's help, this looks pretty easy to do but it appears i got a bad esc.

i'll try again soon with the plush 40
Old May 26, 2010, 08:35 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,365 Posts
you should get a programmer, both the TP and turnigy use the same one. Get the one from hobbypartz.com, it is the same as the turnigy from HC.

good luck
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old May 26, 2010, 08:42 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
I have a card but I cut the red wire on the esc and didn't have time yet topatch one in
Old May 27, 2010, 06:53 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
ok, got this turnigy plush 40a installed and programmed with the card.

in addition, i'm think it's necessary to go thru the procedure to change values using the transmitter so i'm doing that too.

i put the timing setting to middle when i programmed using the card. then i fired it up and the motor still does this twitching thing. so then i used the transmitter to set it to high. that seemed to at least allow me to change the value but the motor still twitches.

and also for some reason i cannot get it to allow me to change values of any of the items anymore. i did it once so now i see what the procedure is.....but now i cant get back in. could this transmitter have intermittent problems? it surely couldn't be user error:-)

(the transmitter is definitely responding to my stick movements, that part is obvious).
Old May 27, 2010, 07:48 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
Have you verified with T6config that your throttle channel is working correctly?
Old May 27, 2010, 08:29 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
yep, i've been going thru the video's at www.mikeysrc.com (they're pretty good for me as an almost beginner).

the throttle is showing that it it working in t6conig. and like i say, i've been going thru the videos and have made all the settings as the videos have shown (i have set the throttle/pitch curves). i'm up to video 11 or 12 now when it was time to spin the blades up to balance them. i have not made any afr settings yet. all the switch settings have been made (the bottom row of the software). so i believe i'm good there.

i just went out for a walk and came back and realized that i had left the transmitter on and the light is red now. when i've been trying to make these settings the light was yellow. so tomorrow morning i'll go get a new batch of batteries ... my problems don't seem consistent with weak batteries but tomorrow AM i'll find out. (cant believe i'm out of batteries)
Old May 27, 2010, 09:22 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
What battery are you using to power the esc while setting it up? Are you sure it's charged up?
Old May 27, 2010, 10:09 PM
mid-michigan
Joined Jan 2009
183 Posts
A 3c 2200 .....it could stand a charging probably...even tho I'm not flying yet..thx