SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2010, 07:39 PM
Joined May 2010
3 Posts
Help!
3s 1300 mah Park Zone Battery won't charge??

Hello, First time poster here, I have read around but can't seem to find the answer to my question. I have a Parkzone P51D BNF and for some reason my 1300 mah 3s battery will not charge. I do not believe I have over discharged the battery. I would like to invest at some point in the future in a better charger as well so recommendations for a charger would be terrific as well.

The charger blinks three times and that's it. Any ideas? Sorry for the noob question. Thanks!

Pete
Pete_D is offline Find More Posts by Pete_D
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2010, 07:50 PM
They will soar on wings..
USA, CA, Danville
Joined Aug 2004
1,163 Posts
You won't know if you have over discharged the battery or not unless you can measure the pack voltage and preferably each cell's voltage. A DVM can be purchased fairly inexpensively - highly recommended to get one for the field box.

Ron
rsasaki is offline Find More Posts by rsasaki
Old May 25, 2010, 05:26 AM
Suspended Account
China
Joined Apr 2010
8 Posts
I think you can't eleminate the possibility of overcharged ,because if your charge isnot banlance or misllaneous charge,it's easy to make mistake

good luck

leo
leo0728 is offline Find More Posts by leo0728
Old May 25, 2010, 06:30 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
I do not believe I have over discharged the battery. Pete
Unless like mention above you have a voltmeter and have check every single cells or pack voltage chances are that pack is below the recommended voltage and the charger wil lnot charge it for safety reason.

Even using the stock charger you should have some sort of LED sequence telling you why its not charging or something in this manner.

But like mention before unless you have some sort of way to check your pack voltage do not rule out over discharge.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,734 Posts
Quote:
. I do not believe I have over discharged the battery. I would like to invest at some point in the future in a better charger as well so recommendations for a charger would be terrific as well.

The charger blinks three times and that's it.
What does the Charger's Manual giv for blinks three times ?

Did you charge the battery before using it? Did you stop flying and disconnect the battery before you noticed the aircraft power reducing?

As to a charger recomendation there are houndreds of post on chargers here. Look around a bit,use the Search , scroll throught 5 pages of post till you find chargrer in the title then read part of taht one then find another one to read.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; May 25, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:57 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,238 Posts
Assumption - you have the stock charger.
2nd Assumption - you are using the stock ESC
Observation - the stock charger is lousy, truly lousy.
2nd observation - the LVC for the stock ESC is [Default Settings 9V Cutoff]
-Opinion: that LVC IS too low and could easily create the problem you are experiencing.
Yeah, they would sell you electronics that are not up to snuff.

Best charger for the money and a newbie > Cellpro 4S
The one you'll get the most recommendations for > Accucel-6 and a dozen clones, and clones of clones. Not nearly the quality of the Cellpro, not nearly as easy to use but highly regarded cuz it's cheap. I have both, use both extensively. For safety and ease of use the Cellpro is tops.
The AC-6 will do multi-chemistry and can discharge (very slowly) if you want. Cellpro also has a more expensive multi-chemistry model.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; May 25, 2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 03:51 PM
Joined May 2010
3 Posts
Thank you for all the replies they are truly appreciated. I think there is a possibility that the battery was over discharged. If I buy a nicer charger will it tell me the voltage of each cell? Or do I need to do that with a volt meter?

I looked through the instruction manual to try and decipher what the three short blinks were for the charger and didn't find anything...

I've looked around a tad for the Cellpro 4S but it seems to be out of stock the few places I checked. Does this only hook up to a battery or is there a 120volt adapter?

How do you feel about this charger?
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=110

Last question I have, is this battery salvageable with a better charger?

Thanks guys!
Pete_D is offline Find More Posts by Pete_D
Old May 26, 2010, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2007
5,238 Posts
Better chargers will give you LOTS more info about your lipo. Cellpro is one of the better, some of the others are OK. The only place I know of to get Cellpro is FMA. The less expensive one appears to be out of stock for awhile.

And you can test individual cells with a voltmeter. You should have one for this sport anyway.
[Measure 1&2, 2&3, 3&4 wires at the balance tap. That will give each individual cell.
DO NOT TOUCH THE PROBES TOGETHER - SHORT! BAD!!!
You should get all cells above 3.0v.]

The IMAX B6 is one of the multitude of clones. It had issues with balancing a couple years back. Don't know if that has been fixed.

The Battman is essentially the same from here. They also have the IMAX.

The AC-6 comes from Hobby King but is so popular they seem always out of stock, but they re-stock often. Expensive shipping adds to the cost.

Yet another clone: Dynam Supermate DC6 DC Multi Function Charger
Possibly your best deal with reasonable shipping.

Like I said, there are a mess of them.

You possibly can bring the voltage up and get the battery functioning again.
"My battery is dead - HELP" info.
Old May 27, 2010, 05:59 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,834 Posts
You can also get the AC6 from nitroplane and their pretty on stock.

The led sequence is most of the time posted on the charger itself.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 27, 2010, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2007
5,238 Posts
Another thread of interest:
Dynam Supermate DC6 Any Good?

Read post #10. I think maybe he knows what he is talking about since he sells lipos and it goes against the conventional forum banter about these clones (myself included).

This thread is DEFINITELY worth a cup of coffee and putting your brain to work.
Difference between cheap and expensive chargers...
Last edited by flydiver; May 27, 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:53 PM
Fly'em like you Stole'em
The Gehto,Ca.
Joined Jun 2008
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_D View Post
Thank you for all the replies they are truly appreciated. I think there is a possibility that the battery was over discharged. If I buy a nicer charger will it tell me the voltage of each cell? Or do I need to do that with a volt meter?

I looked through the instruction manual to try and decipher what the three short blinks were for the charger and didn't find anything...

I've looked around a tad for the Cellpro 4S but it seems to be out of stock the few places I checked. Does this only hook up to a battery or is there a 120volt adapter?

How do you feel about this charger?
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...13&item_id=110

Last question I have, is this battery salvageable with a better charger?

Thanks guys!
Alex at ValueHobby stands behind the stuff he sells . I just placed another order from him since the new stock arrival . If any item has issues he will quit carrying it . I have ordered several motors and Esc's . I personaly like my Hyperion 615 dual charger but you do need a powersupply for it too . Lots of people are using the b6 but if you are planning to realy get into electric I would get an I-Charger 106b and a powersupply . It has so many options for what it can do . Check out YouTube and check out the Parallel charging that is being done with it . It has software in it to run every chemistry and a foam wire cutter .

http://progressiverc.com/index.php?o..._id=1&Itemid=1
MikeMcChiken is offline Find More Posts by MikeMcChiken