HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2010, 04:26 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Winding Half-Parallel dLRK Delta

This is meant primarily to show what half-parallel winds are all about (as opposed to multistrand). A full parallel would simply extend the idea to separate wires for each tooth. This is not meant to be the only way to skin this cat, or even the best. I chose this approach because it is visually the easiest to understand. I could have chosen a better stator and wind, but this is what I had at hand.

The first picture is pretty much the same as with any dLRK wind: cut the proper length of wire, find the midpoint, and secure so you can properly tighten down your first tooth.

You should be able to bone out how to do a Wye wind, and if you think a little more about it, how to do an ABC as long as you're using 12 teeth. A true half-parallel is not reasonable on a 9-tooth stator, but a full parallel is.

Dave
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Last edited by timocharis; May 24, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Wind The First Tooth

Then just take the wire around and wind the first tooth. Note that I'm going one tooth past halfway. This is proper because it arranges the wire entry to both teeth in such a way as to snug the wire to best effect. Both teeth will be part of the same phase, so we needn't be concerned that they are not directly opposed.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:30 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Finish The First Half Phase

Second tooth done. Note that both wires exit on the same side out at the ends. This is irrelevant to the tutorial, but is due to my preference for putting the third layer on from inside out.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:33 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
With Another Wire, Finish The First Phase

Cut another wire and do the same thing, but in this case the wire should go around the other side of the bearing tube and mirror everything you just did. You'll end up with one complete phase, and both wires exiting in the same slot.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:36 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Third Half Phase Will Look Weird

The one point where you may be a little weirded out is the first tooth pair of the second phase. Following my technique, you'll have one tooth all by itself. This is perfectly normal; don't panic.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:38 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,567 Posts
I never thought of winding in parallel this way. This is going to ease my frustrations with parallel greatly.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Last edited by IBCrazy; May 25, 2010 at 09:35 PM. Reason: removed smileys
Old May 24, 2010, 04:39 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Finish All Six Teeth And Terminate

Repeat until done. You should end up with six pairs of wires, each pair exiting from one slot. To end up with three phases, you couple each adjacent pair together (as shown).

Just to belabor a point, it does not matter which adjacent pair you start with. If you rotate the "dots" by 60 degrees and join them up, you'll get exactly the same result in the end.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:42 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
How It Looks In Real Time

Here's how a terminated motor looks.

Note that the two "middle" pairs that form the center phase are the shortest, but their opposite ends (each half of the other two phases) are the longest. Consequently we don't get three perfectly long and balanced phases, but they're close enough for me.
Old May 24, 2010, 04:42 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Thanks, Alex!

Dave
Last edited by timocharis; Jun 05, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:22 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
Now I'll have to try and wind one like this, what is the mag setup for this wind vs abc?

Mo.
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old May 24, 2010, 11:16 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
dLRK uses 14 or 10 mags usually. But there are many more variants. This particular one (which doesn't really matter) uses 14. the most common arrangement.

Dave
Old May 25, 2010, 01:10 AM
Mexico, BC, Mexicali
Joined Aug 2004
5,387 Posts
very nice Dave.

Manuel V.
manuel v is offline Find More Posts by manuel v
Old May 25, 2010, 07:37 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
Nicely explained, Sir!

As a newbie I have a question. I recently read that, broadly speaking, the Delta termination would be the preferred method for higher Kv, higher RPM, smaller prop motors and the Wye termination would be preferred for lower lower Kv, lower RPM, bigger prop motors.

If this is true, where would the half parallel winding fit into that and would the Wye and Delta termination preferences stay the same?

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old May 25, 2010, 11:32 AM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
...broadly speaking, the Delta termination would be the preferred method for higher Kv, higher RPM, smaller prop motors and the Wye termination would be preferred for lower lower Kv, lower RPM, bigger prop motors.
I've read that enough times to wonder if I should ask Snopes to generate an entry about it.
Quote:
If this is true...
Broadly speaking, no it's not. Any wind that accomplishes maximum copper packing while hitting the target Kv is functionally equivalent with one caveat (already mentioned by Kevin):

Delta has the potential to suffer from problematic recirculating currents. Wye does not. In measurable practice, this usually means nothing. However, we have some suspicion that it might become an issue in various parallel winds (but not always, by any means. The wind shown in this tutorial has previously tested to be every bit as good as its Wye "equivalent").

So it is always safer to use Wye. But due to the oddities of stator design and the mathematical relation of wire gauge diameters, one often gets more favorable wire packing from Delta. And in every case where I've tested, going with the more favorable Delta arrangement has given better results with dLRK. As a personal oddity, this has not turned out to be the case in ABC winds, where it's something of a crapshoot. You just have to do the experiment and see how it turns out.

Dave
Old May 25, 2010, 10:07 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Top notch stuff as always Dave, thanks for sharing. I was a little behind the curve on the subject but this helps allot.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode