HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
Discussion
ESC to battery to motor to receiver HELP

I'm new to the electric world as you'll be able to tell by my question. I'm trying to hook up my brushless motor to my esc and receiver. After hooking up my 11.1v battery to the ESC should I see any potential across the 3 leads that go to the motor? The ESC has BEC and there is potential going to the receiver all servos operate. Speaking of the receiver I'm using one from my nitro days. Is that a no no? I hooked up the receiver connector off the ESC to the throttle connection on the receiver figuring that was how the ESC controlled the RPM of the engine. Is that wrong? Long story short the way I've hooked it up the engine does nothing. Thanks for any and all help.
balsaandfoam
balsaandfoam is offline Find More Posts by balsaandfoam
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2010, 01:41 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,395 Posts
What motor? What ESC ? What receiver ? What transmitter ? What battery ? Details matter .

To answer your questions in order: no, no, no. So it sounds like what you've described is o.k. But the motor needs to be connected too. And the ESC needs to initialise (most usually beep at you when the battery is connected). The throttle and trim usually need to be fully down and if it's a Futaba Tx you'll need to reverse the throttle.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old May 24, 2010, 02:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
For initial set up leave the prop off , sometimes you get surprises !!
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old May 25, 2010, 11:06 PM
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
What motor? What ESC ? What receiver ? What transmitter ? What battery ? Details matter .

To answer your questions in order: no, no, no. So it sounds like what you've described is o.k. But the motor needs to be connected too. And the ESC needs to initialise (most usually beep at you when the battery is connected). The throttle and trim usually need to be fully down and if it's a Futaba Tx you'll need to reverse the throttle.

Steve
Thanks for the reply and you had the correct answer. I reversed the throttle on the transmitter and all is well. Again Thanks,
BAF
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:18 PM
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
More problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsaandfoam View Post
Thanks for the reply and you had the correct answer. I reversed the throttle on the transmitter and all is well. Again Thanks,
BAF
Steve,
Now that I've finally have the time to fly I found out I've got more problems.
The problem is severe heat from the esc and battery hook up. The engine and ESC are Rc Smart. The ESC rated for 30A the engine is 1160 kv brushless outrunner. The battery is a BQY 11.1v lipo 30c 2280mah. Ground testing at half to 3/4 throttle turning a 10x4.7 park flyer prop a fully charged battery overheats and quits at the 2 to 3 minute time frame. Both the battery and esc are very very hot. Do I have a defective component or an out of whack setup? Same result using another battery. Both batteries new. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
BAF
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:59 PM
Joined May 2010
6 Posts
More Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsaandfoam View Post
I'm new to the electric world as you'll be able to tell by my question. I'm trying to hook up my brushless motor to my esc and receiver. After hooking up my 11.1v battery to the ESC should I see any potential across the 3 leads that go to the motor? The ESC has BEC and there is potential going to the receiver all servos operate. Speaking of the receiver I'm using one from my nitro days. Is that a no no? I hooked up the receiver connector off the ESC to the throttle connection on the receiver figuring that was how the ESC controlled the RPM of the engine. Is that wrong? Long story short the way I've hooked it up the engine does nothing. Thanks for any and all help.
balsaandfoam
Steve,
Now that I've finally have had the time to fly I found out I've got more problems. The problem is severe heat from the esc and battery hook up. The engine and ESC are Rc Smart. The ESC rated for 30A the engine is 1160 kv brushless outrunner. The battery is a BQY 11.1v lipo 30c 2280mah. Ground testing at half to 3/4 throttle turning a 10x4.7 park flyer prop a fully charged battery overheats and quits at the 2 to 3 minute time frame. Both the battery and esc are very very hot. Do I have a defective component or an out of whack setup? Same result using another battery. Both batteries new. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
BAF
Old Aug 30, 2010, 03:21 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
What motor and esc is it exactly(Rc Smart has many products). Seems like the motor is too much load for that prop and 3 Lipo, A 30C battery of this capacity can provide way more amps than your esc can handle and should not get warm after only 3 minutes. Low Kv outrunners run best on low timing (if the esc has that adjusment). If you have a Wattmeter, or can borrow one it would let you know what is really going on with your set-up. That motor with no load and with that battery would want to run way over 30000rpm depending on efficiency. If bogged down with too big a prop the balance of power just provide heat!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:50 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
That motor with no load and with that battery would want to run way over 30000rpm depending on efficiency.

????? 1160Kv times, say, 11v is <13000rpm in my book.

BAF: Never ground test (static) for more than 15 seconds.... but you do need a Wattmeter.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:06 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kiwi View Post
That motor with no load and with that battery would want to run way over 30000rpm depending on efficiency.

????? 1160Kv times, say, 11v is <13000rpm in my book.

BAF: Never ground test (static) for more than 15 seconds.... but you do need a Wattmeter.
As usual you're right, should have read what I wrote before keying "submit reply"
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan