HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2010, 11:42 AM
SSP#1
United States, MO, Louisburg
Joined Apr 2007
460 Posts
Discussion
Taboo GT with rx issue

I just finished my Taboo GT it has the carbon pod, boom setup. Im still flying 72mhz but my question is why do i not get a good range check? ive tried 3 different rx's in it 2 bergs, 1 fma, and the last a JR micro. I can get about 80 to 90' and then it quits. Ive had the cover off of the FMA the cover on the Berg and it off and on the JR, my antenna at first was wrapped around the boom with the bergs and then switched to straight down the boom, still did the same thing. Even after switching to the JR i tried wrapping the ant. lead around again and then straight down the boom. 3 times now ive lost signal but luckily it didnt end in losing the plane. Ive tried different crystals but nothing has changed. I really hate to run the ant. down the wing if it wouldnt help, i know its cleaner but hate to do it now maybe on my next one. I used this same setup on my Blaster with the ant. wrapped around the boom and never a problem.
Anyone have any ideas? maybe im doing something wrong and dont know.

Steve
sjgoulet is online now Find More Posts by sjgoulet
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2010, 12:00 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Nov 2004
101 Posts
maximizing poor reception

I'd say you were doing everything you could to foul up reception. Wrapping the antenna around the boom is the worst thing you could do. Running it along the boom is the second worst. It's quite simple to run a very fine piece of music wire along the hinge gap in one wing. Even I could do it.

Robert Samuels ... St. Louis
ransamuels is online now Find More Posts by ransamuels
Old May 24, 2010, 12:09 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,675 Posts
Steve

Do as Robert says. Go to Radio Shack and buy the thin magnet wire. Run it down the gap of the wing between the aileron. Scrap the color off the end of the wire so it can be soldered clean. Join it together with a male female sevo connector. I believe the JR reciver is already configured for it. Running it out the wing is the best way of doing it

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old May 24, 2010, 12:46 PM
Walter Roos
Canton, Ga.
Joined Aug 2004
3,195 Posts
I tried and tried to get decent range checks with the antenna near the boom and always failed.
I put my antennas in the wings of all my foam core DLGs, and I like to use
0.010" guirtar strings with a short run of original antenna wire soldered to the music wire and then to the connector. The weight is not an issue. Probably no problem using magnet wire, but the music wire can be more easily put in a slit made forward of the hinge gap. Also magnet wire bends easily and can only be bent a very limited number of times, which could cause a break at some point. I've had many small 3D electric motors fail due to magnet wire fatigue.

walt
ROOSWH is offline Find More Posts by ROOSWH
Old May 24, 2010, 01:23 PM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
460 Posts
Thanks guys, decided at lunch to take the taboo apart and start the ant. change, its going in the wing like suggested, have the slot already cut in the hinge gap so tonight it will be fixed. Jeff, the JR is already made up for it the way you sent it to me, now just to get the programing down on the 9303.

Steve
Old May 24, 2010, 01:29 PM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,675 Posts
Steve use the XP-5 program as it will be very close to what you need

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old May 24, 2010, 01:41 PM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
460 Posts
Jeff, i thought about using the Xp5 program the other day, but i still need to learn how to program this one, so far it seems much easier than the stylus or the 8103 i was using.
Old May 24, 2010, 01:41 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,166 Posts
I used thin music wire down the aileron hinge on the wing side. You can route a flexible wire through the wing in parallel with the servo leads and go to a 5 pin connector with one being the antenna.
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old May 24, 2010, 10:08 PM
Steve Meyer
Mt Pleasant, WI
Joined Jun 2005
1,185 Posts
I always had success using wire wrap wire. Nobody probably has that anymore or even knows what it is. But it was quite durable and had thin teflon insulation. Ran it down the boom and up the tail. Never had any problems with a 555 Rx. The stock antenna on the Berg is very thin.
SOAR-Steve is offline Find More Posts by SOAR-Steve
Old May 25, 2010, 08:33 AM
SSP#1
Joined Apr 2007
460 Posts
Took the Taboo apart and fished a thin piece of music wire through the wing and made a groove along the ail hinge gap, now i can get a range check around 150'. Thanks guys this worked out great, flew it yesterday afternoon and never a problem so now im not so nervous about letting it range out. Wonder why i got away with this on my Blaster? its been specked many times so maybe just to be on the safe side ill do the same to it. Thanks again.

Steve
Old May 25, 2010, 11:53 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,725 Posts
Experience with unlimiteds has shown that antenna even inside a carbon tailboom can be fine if the pod is not carbon. Mantis, Agea, Supra have all been done this way at times. Inside a full carbon fuse it is a no-no. Inside a carbon/Kevlar braid fuse/tailboom it is a resounding NO-NO!

Spiral wrapping an antenna wire around a conductive pole (tailboom) is not a good idea. It greatly alters the tuning/impedence of the antenna.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T