HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Get Real, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:59 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Been a while since i updated here. Someone asked about pizza so i made a few pizzas and explained a little while making them. Im gonna make some deep dish style ones this week as well,i might make a list here of some doughs and sauces ive used when not making them from scratch with fresh ingredients. Ive been pretty happy with the dell alpie line of italian sauces and some other stuff imported from italy. Regular mozzarella is ok shredded and in slices but you really owe it to yourself to try the imported buffalo mozzarella(has more moisture but its good). San marzano tomatoes are good and ripe roma's as well for sauce,picked up some san marzanos in a can finally to make sauce and might use that for the deep dish.. might just slice up some romas as well without making a sauce to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7BVlx2dv1s

Making Pizzas (4 min 19 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Mar 03, 2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: added another video
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:23 AM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,897 Posts
I'll add my recent pizza making discoveries,...

I detest the commonly advised method of making pizza on the BBQ where you put the dough right on the grill, cook for a couple minutes remove it, flip it, add toppings and cook 2nd side. The dough is dry, the toppings not cooked well, sometimes not even very hot. It's just never worked well, for me.

I decided I still wanted to try and use my gas BBQ as a pizza oven,.. especially in the summer when it's hot and you don't want to heat up the kitchen. I put fire bricks on the grill and my stone on the firebricks (for a smoother surface). I've also removed my grills (grates) and put the bricks right on the diffuser plates. I didn't have enough to completely cover the bottom of the pizza stone, which I think is best. Because the gaps I had between the bricks caused hot spots on the pizza stone causing uneven browning. You are basically turning your BBQ into a less than ideal gas fired pizza oven, but it gets hotter than my kitchen oven (500 deg). The pizzas cooked turned out fantatsic! It's more like using a real pizza oven! Surprisingly it didn't take an hour to preheat the stone, only about 20-30 minutes. I'm still experimenting with temperature settings, and I need to get a couple more fire bricks so I can completely cover the bottom of my stone. So far no cracked stones,... which happened to me when I just put the stone on the grates (no firebricks).

This summer I will experiment with adding dry wood chips to a burner box to impart a true wood fired aroma/taste to my pizzas. I'm very anxious to try this idea.

I've also tried using two stones for one pizza. One over the top of the pizza. I'll post pics later in the morning as to how I did that.
No Step is offline Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by No Step; Mar 04, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 09:03 AM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,897 Posts
OK, better pics today. Last night I installed two more firebricks to cover the pizza stone. Note that firebricks are on diffusers this time. Still experimenting with them sitting on grill grates. Upper stone is just resting on 3- 1/4" steel rods. They trap it perfectly. Pizza quality is equal if not better than in the kitchen oven. I'm sure when it gets warmer outside, my BBQ will heat-up even more. Last night I could only get 500 degrees showing on the thermometer that was on the bbq. I think the wood chips are going to really make this idea a real winner. Last night I intentionally cooked them longer than I normally do to get a crunchier crust (10 min). I liked it much better that way.

Pizza notes: The seafood pizza (prawns, calamari, and scallops) came out better this time becase I tossed them in a hot frying pan and 1/3 cooked them to sweat out as much wetness as I could (lots). That, plus the fact I cooked the pizza longer, resulted in them not making the pizza soggy - success! I wish I would have put onions on the pizza!

On the Margarita pizza, I coarsely chopped prosciutto and tossed it on top. Also, I add fresh basil only after the pizza is 3/4 cooked, otherwise it turns too dark and looks ugly.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
Old Mar 06, 2011, 09:48 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Making pizza directly on the grill itself is ok.. i prefer using the pizza stone as well. Just using the grill seems to be more popular with the gourmet pizza crowd or when using flatbread crusts and you dont get a very crunchy crust. On your current grill set up.. elevating the stone more will probably get similar results for even cooking without the extra pizza stone overhead.. the stone maintains good heat for the crust to cook,the toppings cook more from convection as well as the radiant heat. When using fired pizza ovens pizzas are rotated and moved on the stone.. this is to keep the pizza evenly cooked since the fire is on one side and also the floor loses a little heat as the pizza is placed.. sometimes the pizza maker will raise the pizza once the crust is fully cooked up to the dome of the oven to finish off the toppings more. Id prop the pizza stone up higher myself for more even cooking of the top and bottom... but if it aint broke dont fix it.. what works well for some doesnt work well for everyone.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 02:56 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Not pizza

Made chicken enchiladas a week or so ago and had more sauce and chicken etc.. had a taste for chicken tacos and made some more chicken and used the rest of it for flautas(aka taquitos).. basically a rolled taco in a corn tortilla fried. Nothing fancy.. just a quick vid,might post some more cooking vids but keep my channel basically for the rc stuff.

Quick Simple Tasty Chicken For Tacos Etc. (2 min 38 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 10:14 AM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,897 Posts
Well, I'm still making pizzas, too. A couple months ago I went to a friends house that had a wood fired oven,.. very nice!, but can't justify the cost and time involved building one,.. rather build model airplanes. Last weekend I tried a breakfast pizza at the suggestion of a friend. I can't stomach uncooked egg whites, but I gave it a try,... broke a couple eggs right on top of a normal pizza - lightly cheesed, bacon, sausage, green onion, peppers. It turned out perfect! The eggs had that sunny side up look to them, and the egg whites were fully cooked. Very cool.

I've gone to using a Peter Reinharts' (American Pie) dough recipe (overnight raise in refrigerator, little yeast, '00' flour, wet mixture, pulled very thin. Gives a nice crisp, bubbly thin, crust (though it doesn't look like it in the pic, but it is). Dough kept well in refrigerator for 3 days. Pictured is a 3 day old dough from the refrigerator.

Fred

Food - http://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/Bistro%201203.htm
Models - https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:54 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Strange.. didnt get notification that there was a new reply here. Ive made a few pizzas here and there but will have to get some pics etc to add when i make more. Figured since this is food oriented id post that chicken video. Made some spaghetti yesterday and wanted to get more pics with the new camera. I still need to get a crust and stick with it,i make my own dough,buy the frozen or some times use the boboli.. seen pizzas made with pita bread for gyros,might try that.. mini pizzas on english muffins is pretty good once in a while so the pita bread will be a time saver and should taste ok but i'll find out eventually. BTW.. i still havent bought a pizza peel... i really need to get one but i do ok using the cutting board.

Sauce was delmonte diced tomato's.. no salt. Drained the tomatos well,put them in the food processor and added garlic,salt,pepper,dried basil and a little olive oil. Simmered it a little bit in pan then threw in the spaghetti.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:19 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
Pepper Steak

Dont really have any particular recipe for this,kept it kind of simple and used what i had.. a little bbq sauce did fine to sweetin it up a little since i was out of brown sugar. Soy sauce,white wine,garlic powder,black pepper and a few spoons of bbq suace for the marinade and let it sit for about 25 minutes. Next time i'll use cherry tomato's and make sure i have brown sugar in the house to.

Pepper Steak (3 min 38 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:45 AM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,897 Posts
I think you and I are the only ones watching this thread. I made my first trip to New York City 2 weeks ago, stayed 6 days. I'm NOT a big city guy, but I have to say I'm ready to go back again. For a food enthusiast it's a vacation paradise. The pizzas are very thin, and very good. The crust is where it's "at", toppings not overdone, as it should be. The many deli's are amazing. Food stores (Eatily comes to mind),... wow! Many, many, many very nice restaurants. Good food for sure. We ate well, never had a bad meal (even the hot dog I bought off a cart). I'm going back,... not this spring, but next spring, just for the food if nothing else.
Get Real,... that looks good. To really impress your guests,... same recipe on black plates really makes the rice dish stand out. We found a few black plates at a second hand store, tried to find a new set but no luck.

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:06 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,908 Posts
I think the subscribe to thread notifications still are not working here. Im not much on the big city stuff myself either.. grew up in Chicago and other than missing some of the food have no plans on ever moving back. New York is almost identical and is compared quite often to the foods served in the city out here from everything ive seen in the media etc. Great food and nice place to visit im sure but im more of a simple life kind of guy. For sure a black plate would jazz up looks,Presentation is nice but im no chef and its all about the taste and keeping things simple for me.

Never really planned on sharing much on cooking but this thread has been where i add cooking related stuff on a rc site so here's a quick vid of something i made a couple weeks ago. I have given thought quite a while back about starting a thread in the forums instead of the blog for general chat on food and sharing pics and videos.

Meatballs (3 min 58 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread