SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Get Real, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:24 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Discussion
Making Pizzas

Finally got some san marzano tomato puree.. eventually i'll get san marzano tomato's but there difficult to find around here and imported from italy. Made some quick pizzas to test the sauce,sauce is tomato puree,fresh garlic,fresh oregano,fresh basil and some sugar and salt. The fresh herbs really infuse there flavor well after leaving the sauce sit a day in the fridge and has an even richer flavor. I rarely make pizzas the same way,sometimes i use a roller for the dough sometimes not,some times more toppings sometimes less etc. Made three quick pizzas,one in a cast iron pan,another thin on the pizza stone and the last with a thicker crust and a lot more cheese.. really have to mix pizza up and try different methods but i like a lot of different pizza styles. Next time will probally be naples style pizza on the grill with fresh mozzarella instead of the dry skim mozzarella and parmesan but pizza is about trying different styles and toppings for me.

Making Some Fresh Pizza's! (2 min 0 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Mar 03, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2010, 12:00 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Looks dang good!! I need to learn how to do that.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old May 24, 2010, 03:18 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Pizza can be pretty simple even from scratch(depends on the style and what you want to put into it),you can always use some boboli ready made crust and store bought pizza sauce and cheese with what ever toppings you like as well. The boboli crust is good and tastes good even baked on the oven rack or a cookie sheet. Pizza bread is good as well and fast(use french or italian loaf breads for that sliced in half.. similar to making garlic bread but with pizza sauce,cheese and toppings. Link To Boboli Crust and heres a link to an earlier blog post with a pic of Pizza Bread and some deep dish pizzas.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2010, 01:29 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Hey thanks!!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,040 Posts
..... "more pizza",... here's one of mine - a seafood pizza (don't use scallops, too moist, makes dough soggy). I love making pizzas. I haven't been to a pizza restaurant in probably 6 years minimum,.. ever since I started making my own.

I would be interested to know about how hot your cast iron pan was when you put the pizza in. I tried a flat cast iron pan on the BBQ grill, but I got it too hot, burned bottom almost instantly. Did you pre-heat the pan like on low or medium? (gas). I've tried pizza stones in the BBQ but they break very quickly. So, whenever I BBQ pizza it's right on the grill - hard to get real hot pizza toppings that way crust cooks too fast.
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:33 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Thats a nice lookin pizza,im not a seafood guy myself,do you coat the crust with olive oil prior to the toppings? You can also drain soggy toppings ahead of time.. just like when using fresh mozzarella or pre cook the toppings in a skillet to reduce any fat or moisture content. For the cast iron pans i grease the pan and make the pizza then throw it in the pre heated oven(pan is at room temp),no different then a restaurant with deep dish or stuffed style pizzas. I use a pizza stone in the oven at 500+ degrees,for the grill theres a few methods but you have to watch the heat. Some use bricks on the grill just like a brick oven and lay them on top of the grill,some make the crust on the direct side over the coals with non stick oil applied to the surface then cook crust about half way and then put toppings on pizza and throw it back on the indirect side to bake and absorb flavor from coals and wood. You have to improvise sometimes to get an authentic pizza taste,real italian pizza is baked at 800+ degrees in brick ovens with wood fires. I still get take out pizza but home made is just as good when you have the time. When ive cooked pizza on the grill ive never tryed the brick method but it seems to work well.

Heres a video of the brick style grilled pizza,there channel is all bbq and grilling.

Grilled Brick Oven style Pizza by the BBQ Pit Boys (8 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 02:23 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Pizza In 2 Minutes?

This is why authentic pizza is so much different than frozen or most restaurant pizza. Brick oven,wood fire, 800+ degrees. You can get pretty close though and still make a good pizza without the brick oven but having the right tools for the job helps a lot.

Wildtimes @ The Wildwood Test Kitchen: Pizza (6 min 5 sec)

Di Matteo - la pizza (2 min 15 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 05:31 PM
Joined May 2003
4,040 Posts
That's probably where I went wrong, preheating the cast iron flat pan. I'd like to be able to use my BBQ without having to cook the crust on each side. I tried suspending a pizza stone over the top of the cooking pizza to reflect heat down on top, but the stone cracked and fell into the pizza. I came >real< close to building my on wood fired pizza oven in the backyard http://www.fornobravo.com, but I decided that was a little rediculous for occassional pizza or bread making. I'd sure like to have one though .

Btw, sometime you should try Caputo "00" flour imported from Italy.,.... OMG, it really makes a nice crisp but chewy crust with more air bubbles in the crust. You can get it mail order on line or at better food stores. I found some locally and have been using it recently and probably will not go back to All Purpose flour when I'm trying to impress people. It's available at the link above,... also the recipe for making, it's a little different. Must handle more gently.

On the scallops in pizza, yeah,.... I smear O.O. on my pizza and dry the scallops, but they seem to have so much moisture internally , that they make the crust soggy whenever I try to use them, at least so far.

More pizza to you,.... I'm happy to share my knowledge, learn from others, and eager to save the "unaware', of how easy it is to make far better pizza yourself at home.

Btw, attached is another of my pizzas: pepperoni, black olive, hot Italian sausage, and onion. It's sitting on the cast iron pan tried to use in my BBQ.

Cooking is fun.

Fred Guilfoyle
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:50 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
There is a caputos italian deli in illinois,havent been there but they import san marzano tomatos and other authentic italian foods. Found a san marzano based tomato puree thats pretty good for sauces and just add some fresh ingredients. In italy the brick oven also heated the home so it was more practical then building a brick oven in the states,commercial grade stainless ovens get pricey very quick. Id build my own backyard brick oven,grill etc if i had more space.

I mix up the toppings as well but mostly stick to the stables of pizza.. crust,sauce,cheese. For toppings sometimes i like ham,pineapple or supreme styles with ham,green pepper,onion,pepperchini or what ever else i have. Jalapeno rings on pizza are pretty good and margarita style pizza is good once in a while to with parsley or basil,i like making bruschetta to. English muffins or french bread makes a good crust and a different taste when you want something quicker than a dough crust for pizzas and bruschetta is similar and a real italian appetizer but not quite the same as pizza. Mixing cheeses gives more unique flavors to when adding a 50/50 mix of mozzarella and cheddar for mexican style with jalapeno and ground beef with seasoning. Now all this talk of pizza is making me want to make one,maybe tomorrow or during the week,btw for a more light and airy crust a dough docker might be the tool you need for working with all purpose flour,some mix flour though for dough like 2/3rds all purpose and 1/3rd semolina for different taste and crunch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2010, 12:09 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Hey guys!

Well, making my own pizza has been in the back of my mind ever since I read this thread last May. Well tonight I finally made one!

Baby steps I know, compared to you guys.

I used the Boboli crust and sauce. I cooked up some Italian sausage, sliced some red bell pepper, and sliced some canned mushrooms (only mushie's we had in the house). And used Mozzarella cheese.

It turned out pretty well. In fact, it tasted great! Both my wife and I really enjoyed it. I am hooked now!
Old Aug 06, 2010, 11:37 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Looks great,once you see whats involved and how its done it makes things easier. Sort of like assembling rc planes etc. As you assemble more pizzas youll pick up tricks to make the process go quicker and incorporate more toppings you like and mix things up a bit more for different tastes and textures. You can experiment with crust and styles of pizza as well,deep dish pizza rocks if you ever try that style.. one similar size slice is about 3 times as filling as a similar sized thin crust slice usually depending on the amount of cheese and toppings used,you can make a few smaller pizzas to try new things and decide what you really like and then incorporate what works into larger pizzas when you cook for even more people. Calzones and pizza puffs are good to,basically a pizza with the dough folded over and stromboli is like making bread with the ingredients rolled inside,made calzones a few weeks ago with ham,green,pepper,cheese and a little sauce. Looking forward to more pizza pics .
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined May 2003
4,040 Posts
Kmot,.... once you start making your own, you will never accept resturant pizzas again. And frozen pizza will make you puke. It looks great, good job.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,990 Posts
Thank's fella's!
Old Aug 09, 2010, 08:39 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Some other toppings that may be of interest,giardiniera and also fresh salsa(pico de gallo)does well on pizzas if you like a little kick. Pico de gallo is also good with fried mozzarella sticks if your up for something other than marinara sauce. With giardiniera or pico de gallo i usually add it after the pizza is done but it can also be used in deep dish style pizzas.. just let it drain well before adding if your going to try it in a fresh deep dish pizza.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:08 PM
Joined May 2003
4,040 Posts
This sounds silly, but one of my favorites is pear, sweet onion, and Feta cheese with just a little Mozzeralla. Get away from the standard pepperoni, and a whole new world of pizzas opens up. ( I still like Pepperoni too tough ). I'll find the recipe if anyone is interested or just do a google search for pear pizza

Fred
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread