hey , did you try the TPs yet ?

Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2003, 12:09 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,133 Posts
Today's the day! I had to go to a HS graduation yesterday and didn't get home until after dark.

I just need to figure out how to mount the TP packs, as they came as two separate packs, one 3s4p and one 2s4p. For the E-Techs I used two lengths of carbon rod that I attached under the cells before shrink-wrapping them. I'll probably just put the same rods under the packs and use tie-wraps to hold them.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Jun 20, 2003, 03:52 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , well I got my new motor 600 17 in the heli today and tested it out on a 12 cell 2400 and the head speed 1650 , motor temp 100 , esc 100, batteries 90 f , way cooler and almost the same head speed , well the way I like it anyway . 2 pole sure makes a big difference on the heat buildup , tomorrow I will test the lipos out , 4s4p head speed should go up about 100 with those

Tony
Old Jun 20, 2003, 04:40 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,133 Posts
Tony --

Glad to hear you got your new setup. I'm interested to see how our numbers compare, especially with the TP packs.

I'm afraid I got hijacked again today. This time it was work related but I'm hopeful I'll get the time tomorrow to wring out the TP packs. I want to just fly this weekend but first I'm going to have to rebuild the beast with new sideframes and landing struts. These power tests have taken their toll, along with the last couple of crashes! The left-side frame was in four pieces and the right side two. Both struts are "patched" in 3-4 places as well. I'm getting pretty good though with carpon rods, kevlar thread and black CA!

-- Gary
Old Jun 20, 2003, 10:42 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , the aveox needs a 70a esc it seams to run right on the logo 10 gear ratio for the hot setup huh? maybe today the wind will die down for the test today , Tony
Old Jun 20, 2003, 01:32 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,133 Posts
Actually, I think the 70-3P is overkill. I also have an Aveox controller (SH-48) that should handle up to about 50 amps and up to 30 cells. The Aveox contollers have dip switches for switching between aircraft (w/brake...) and heli (w/o brake...) modes. The heli mode has another switch to enable an auto governor mode that lets you program a knob to control the desired throttle setting (i.e. -- 80%...). It starts out normally but after a bit it automatically switches on the governor. As soon as I give the TPs a try with my existing setup, I'm going to try this unit.

-- Gary
Old Jun 20, 2003, 04:39 PM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
thats the same set up as the new schulze 18.46 that I have , I use normal mode lenear setup , like 0 to 100 curve and mode 2 75% an all the curves and that will kick in gov , mode 2 89% gov

Tony
Old Jun 21, 2003, 02:58 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , well , I got in a flight with the lipos . all I can say is WOW!! wow wee, I charged the pack 3 weeks ago , huh? cool , head speed at 1748 at 75% .
after 5 minutes , landed , checked temp , motor 100 , esc 100 , batteries 75 F ,
next 5 minutes , head speed the same 1748 at a hover , landed , temp motor 105 , esc 105 , didnt check batteries ,
flew another 5 and landed , motor 120 , esc 115 , didnt check batteries , head speed still the same 1748 , tail tach sure works good , well the last time it flew for 8 minutes and 4 of those was at the same headspeed , 1748 , the last 4 minutes was hovering waiting for the batteries to dump , and when the HS fell below 1600 I shut it down , motor temp , 110 , esc 120 , batteries 128 F I did notice the motor bogging alittle , but not much , and if I went to a 14 t pinion and bumped the esc to 85 % I would see that go away , man , what a stabile heli , perfic ,

Tony
Last edited by misskimo; Jun 21, 2003 at 03:01 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 04:08 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,133 Posts
I finally got some time today but I finally decided that I really needed to replace the frames and the struts. There were just too many patches and because of that, I couldn't make the TP packs fit. I thought about leaving the pack(s) next to the heli but the pack adds a level of "support" that keeps things from flying apart.

Anyway, I have it all apart right now. This is almost like starting from scratch. I'll finish it up in the morning and then try the TP test.

Sounds like your new setup is running fairly cool. Your numbers are very similar to mine, including the headspeed.

-- Gary
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:28 PM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , yeh , they are way better than the aveox set up , and also mine is alot lighter too I charged the 4S4P up today and it took 7000 ma. hell I had some left over that I could have used , but o well , I need to check things over today , because its raining , dangit , and I need to work on my eco , took it apart to take it home last week , Tony
Old Jun 22, 2003, 03:13 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by misskimo
2 pole sure makes a big difference on the heat buildup , Tony
What the??? The # of poles has nothing to do with heating in a motor! What does have a big effect is the % throttle you are using. Anything much less that 85-90% means big losses in the motor and controller.The closer to 100% you can run the more efficient the system.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Jun 22, 2003, 03:26 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
true ! didnt see that , but I can drop the % down to 75 and with the 600 17 motor never gets over 120 , esc 115 , that aveox was just to hot for the gearing on the logo ,
Old Jun 22, 2003, 05:27 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,133 Posts
Gearing and the right voltage for the KV rating is what keeps the motor in its "comfort zone". I couldn't get the 36/30/1.5 to run cool either but I was only using it with LiPos, which wasn't a good fit for the voltage range, and it really needed a smaller pinion but 13 is the smallest available for the Logo 10.

The 36/30/2, however, is another animal alltogether. It has been working quite well with LiPos, especially in the 5s configuration I'm using now. Gobs of power, low current and temps low enough that I'm not going to worry about replacing the 12V fan I fried.

As soon as I get the Logo back together, and I can finally run the TP packs, I may try some other higher wind motors, like a Hacker C50-18L or the Kontronix 600-15, to see if they will also work at the higher voltage with the same kind of performance. I really think that LiPos are opening up some additional options that haven't been pursued before.

-- Gary
Old Jun 25, 2003, 05:11 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,133 Posts
I finally got the beast rebuilt with new sideframes and struts (see below...). I attached the whattmeter to the front strut this time and added a small video camera to the tail boom support brace. This camera has a 200mW transmitter built-in and I'm powering it from a couple of Kokum 1020 cells.

I attached the receiver to a video camcorder. This setup works pretty well. I've recorded several flights and the picture stays relatively glitch-free.

Anyway, I decided first to give the TPs a try in the same "strapdown" mode that I did for the other tests. No real surprises here, except that the TP "numbers" seemed lower for the same power settings. For instance, the max readouts for full stick were 430-480W/23.1-27.2A/18.9-18-6V. This was only a couple minutes in so it might be different over time, but it seemed that "pulling" power with the the E-Techs would draw more current and the voltage would drop more while under load. I need to verify this later. The max headspeed, after about 1-1/2 - 2 minutes, fluctuated from 1890 - 1910. Temps after about 6 minutes were similar to the other tests.

The following pic shows the two TP packs (2s4p and 3s4p...) re-wrapped into a single long pack. For support, I added two 3 mm carbon rods before I added the shrink wrap. Based on a tip from Danal Estes, I added some spacers to the front mounts to get the TPs to fit.

Since the headspeed is pretty high, I may switch to the Aveox controller which has a governor mode. It works differently than most, however, in that you program a knob to control the headspeed, The controller starts out in a normal mode and then automatically switches into the governor mode after a few seconds

Finally, the whole purpose of attaching the whattmeter and the video camera is to get real-world numbers in-flight. Unfortunately, the strapped-down tests ended abruptly. It turns out I forgot to lube the mainshaft and the swashplate locked up, which fried all three of the servos. Expensive lesson. Anyway, I didn't get to do any actual flight tests today. I've replaced the servos now (with DS368s...) and re-charged the packs so I will give it a try in the morning.

-- Gary
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:51 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
Man , you have a long pack , cool ,