HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:00 AM
Joined Oct 2006
849 Posts
vasa

this is what it really was supposed to have looked like.....sorry to digress.....all that's missing is the ferris wheel....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Last edited by yancovitch; Mar 17, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 09:10 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
this is what it really was supposed to have looked like.....
Strange colors -...- I prefer yours, Sir!

PS:
And the amount of ornaments and the way they appear is much to overwelming from my point of view.
Mayby she actually sank because she scared Neptune off?
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Last edited by disabled; Mar 17, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2011, 02:55 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,634 Posts
Stad arrived in Baltimore's inner harbor this morning. I plan to go down Sunday to visit - I'll let everyone know what I find.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:26 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,634 Posts
Been there, done that

I made it into town and visited the ship, taking pictures every step or two. Gotta love digital cameras.

I'll post them after I've had a chance to go through them ( a lot were pictures of Constellation for my "details collection") and sort them out.

Here's a teaser
Old Apr 04, 2011, 06:26 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,409 Posts
Boy, those are some beautiful harbor furls, the crew is skilled!

Looking forward to your photos, Jerry, Thanks!
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Apr 04, 2011, 07:32 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,634 Posts
Stad Amsterdam visits Baltimore

The lady and I took the light rail into the city to avoid the idiocy that is parking downtown.

I was told the ship wasn't allowing anyone on board till 4pm Sunday so we didn't head into town till 1pm. First thing, we buzzed over to Baltimore's version of the World Trade Center (built around 1977) and took the elevator up to the dizzying height of the 27th floor - called "The Top of the World." If that impresses you, you need to get out more, but It's a nice view of the harbor, albeit through some grungy windows.

A few photos, pointing out various landmarks to the lady (who ain't from these here parts), and of course - areal shots of Stad Amsterdam and Constellation.

Then it's down and over to the visitor's center to look at the 1:25 scale model of the Pride of Baltimore II being built there. (I'll post that somewhere else).

By now it's 4pm, so we go over to the Stad Amsterdam and sign the waiver that says we won't sue them if a cable should snap and cut us in half. Is this new - I don't recall this sort of CYA stuff just to walk about a visit boat before.

Anyway - we get aboard and I basically take pictures of everything a modeller would - and here you have them. I think they all made it up, if not I'll post what didn't in another message.

She really is a beautiful ship - a really a clipper ship in line and rig. And a bar! What a life to work a square-rigger with beer on tap!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:29 PM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,349 Posts
2 Clippers sailing together, Stad Amsterdam and Drommen sailing together on the same pond... what a great sight

RC model clipper Stad Amsterdam en Drommen (10 min 5 sec)
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber
Old Dec 22, 2011, 04:08 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,094 Posts
Great Video!!!

But the text should be in English.
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Old Apr 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,634 Posts
Is there a build log on a forum, or a web site for this model somewhere?
Old May 01, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Oct 2004
86 Posts
The Drommen was originally built as American clipper Witch of the Wave. Of course she had a black hull back then.
Bill Zebb is online now Find More Posts by Bill Zebb
Old May 06, 2012, 12:23 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,409 Posts
Somehow, Jerry, I missed your photos, very nice, Thanks!

Questions/comments:
1. There is less coning on the Jarvis winch drums than I expected. I'd avoided ever making some for my squareriggers due to worries the line would slip on the steep cone, becoming entangled...but maybe that worry is unnecessary :-)

2. What are the 3 holes in the deck for? (nicely picture-framed installation in deck planking, row 9, picture 4). One is supporting something of blue cloth.

3. I see the topping lift for spanker boom has exterior shiv, do you suppose this is due to metal spars, ie. don't make hole in metal, just risks corrosion? Also looks like same for wooden(?) yard photo (3 rows below the 3-holes-photo), but not sure it's for lift or for sheet (shiv looks too flimsy for a sheet, though).

4. Was the "cargo hatch" in right location to allow access to engine room? I know tugs access engine room from above, and the hatch is welded shut after engine installation, something not allowed with a wood-planked deck.

Thanks again, I'm envious of your trip aboard :-)
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old May 06, 2012, 08:53 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,634 Posts
She takes on provisions and luggage through the side hull hatches. They drop open and become platforms. The three holes you mentioned are sockets for awnings, tables, and umbrellas. She's all about the passengers. Fit and finish are really very nice. She's neat and clean and a very pretty boat. She's doesn't look over top-hampered like Sea Cloud or some of the sail training boats. She really is a clipper ship.