SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:47 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowman17 View Post
Boy everything looks great Jan! I'm still cutting holes in the deck probally half way there!
You are inspiring me to work harder at it.

Marc
Hi Marc,

Just do not to many holes at the time 20 or 30 off them and then go on with something els then it will be more fun to do.
I was completely done with the Kit after the flood-holes job and still having inspiration issues but posting this build is also inspiring for me

Don't rush it Marc, have fun doing it.

However it really pays of because the Hull will be awesome.

Jan,
Horseman is offline Find More Posts by Horseman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:50 AM
BUCURESTI
Joined Feb 2009
198 Posts
@Horseman

THANK YOU,

There are some dealers ho sell these?.
profesorul is offline Find More Posts by profesorul
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:16 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Techrek battery compartment mod

I continue with the Techrek now, and I decided not to use the NC battery's Engel proposes because I don't like the money I need to pay.
I decided to use Lipo battery's. They are smaller, lighter (no problem) but they are much cheaper (HK) China.
But (there's always a but) they don't fit in the revolver stile space Engel want you to use. with is intend to use the NC battery's

So I take out some of the middle Aluminum beams and the middle bulkhead with all of the outer ABS beams.

So these are the left overs,

I want to make a solid base plate just under the holes where the two spindles of the both dive-tanks will enter this room (you don't want to penetrate a Lipo battery.....

Where I believe to put two Lipo's 3cels with 4000mA and at the underside also 1 or 2.

What gives me 14volts 12 Amp to 16Ams power supply to drives the Dive system and the engines.

I uses ABS plate 8 mm thick (I don't have a thinner piece) and bolt that between the two bulkheads with 4 x M 4 screws It will hold I guess.

Here the parts I want to use,

And here the plate built in the Techrek,

And just for the check into the Tube, the battery's mounted in the Techrek,

Its a tight fit but it works.

However I have found new battery's but with a slightly other dimentions, so I need to modify my new compartment already

So I took out the battery plate and make some room in one side of it, now I'm able to set one battery on its side against a other battery,

Then I need to solve the little problem that the dive tank spindles need there space and now one of the battery's are laying almost on the spindles,

So I will make a kind of tube for them and then the battery's will be save..

When the battery's are mounted on the base plate they now slide very nice into the WTC tube.

Looks cool or not?

Will be back.

Regards,

Jan,
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:02 AM
MFR
just a ordinairy guy
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
371 Posts
Hey Jan,

Still going strong, neat solutions for your new battery pack, the amps will give you a nice long run with this boat, keep up the good work.

Manfred.
MFR is offline Find More Posts by MFR
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:40 PM
ir3
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Batteries

Hi Jan,

Nice work on getting the batteries installed. I am still waiting for Engel to send me the new bulkheads for the updated battery pack. If I have to wait too much longer I will be following your lead and install a pair of LiPo's.

Keep the updates coming,

Iran
ir3 is offline Find More Posts by ir3
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:05 PM
alligator
Venice Fl.
Joined Jul 2004
153 Posts
Hello Jan,
A very clever setup you have arranged there.
You should have enough battery power for a trans-Atlantic cruise

I'm envious.

Al,
alligator is online now Find More Posts by alligator
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:43 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Thanks for the compliments Guys, much appreciated

Jan,
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:30 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Hello again,

After making the new battery bay for the Lipo's I have build in the two servos for the aft dive planes and the rudder.

However Engel sells the Futaba 3001 also for this Kid, the place to mount them don't fit at all .
Then when you enlarged them take care that you make room for the servo wire, You have to make also some room for them because you can not tilt the servos to get the wires past the hole caused by the battery bulk head.

Not really a problem but a bit surprising that Engel did not noticed this.

Then I started to mount the depth sensor in the front of the Techrek,

When trying to fit the sensor its collided against the top support beam?

So I enlarged the hole in the underside of the front Techrek section and also the hole in the vertical support to be able to lower the pressure sensor.

And now its fit well..

Then I adjusted the central bayonet lock so its stops when the both Hull parts are strait and true with each other. The key hole need to be enlarged to do this but this was no big issue.

Now a easy task the aft rudder servos,

Then I have mount the steering cables to the servo's and into the aft bulkhead,

In the bulkhead sits a busing where you slide in the outer cable till it stops and you can glue it there,

The INNER cables running trough the bulkhead into the free flood room in the stern.

But that part you know already.

Jan,
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:21 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Front Bow planes

Hello all,

Getting on with the front bow planes,

Engel tels in the manual that you must glue the front dive planes support frames in the hull, and when you must maintain your dive planes you can break them out the Hull

No Go for me

So I had to come up with a better solution, and I did.

First I drilled the holes in the Hull, by the dive plane bearing but it went wrong you can see.

So I need to repair that..

And half way the repair,

The plan are to insert the dive plane frames in a kind of bearing/wheel collar to be able to insert the dive plane support frame in and out of the hull.

So I use 4mm wheel collars where I solder a brass strip on to make a firm frame where the glue have a nice firm grip.

Then I insert the two dive plane support frames into the hull and slide the two collars on the brass inserts from the dive plane frames,

I prepared the dive planes and ad a 2mm brass bolt at the (lose) separate dive plane, So I'm able to pull the dive plane assembly apart when needed

I also prepared the brass linkages for the front dive planes and the rudders.

Then I put Vaseline grease on the protection frame inserts, slide the wheel collars on them and start to glue them firm and secure,

And its sitting tight now..

Then I put in the dive plane bearings,

And start to align the dive-planes and Then I put in the dive plane bearings,

And start to align the dive-planes and protection frames,

And let it cure over night,

Then I start to assemble the linkages to the front dive plane servo.
Its just a dry fit just to check the proper function and it is,

This a better solution than breaking off the dive plane support frames.

Will be continued,

Regards,

Jan,
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:14 PM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
Hi Jan,

It never ends . I did put the forward planes mounts permanent. Hopefully I won't bust up the planes once I get it running and not have to make repairs. Had to use some filler to fix the cracking of the Gel Coat.

It looks like I will not get a response on the new bulkheads for the battery compartment so the Tech Rack comes apart once again and I will be installing the LiPo's just as you did. Did you consider 4S packs and the possibility of having enough room to install them? I haven't looked yet but were there any NiMh packs that would work?

I am a bit concerned about the LiPO's being in a confined space but I think that the instantaneous power demands will never be close to what the demand is for flying electrics and so heating will not be a problem.

How do you plan on wiring the LiPos together?

Keep the updates coming,

Iran
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:27 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir3 View Post

I am a bit concerned about the LiPO's being in a confined space but I think that the instantaneous power demands will never be close to what the demand is for flying electrics and so heating will not be a problem.
Iran,

there is no concern running a sub on lipos, just make sure your ESC is either lipo aware, or you install a lipo-saver between them and the ESC. all but one of my subs use lipos, and i have never had an issue with them.
tsenecal is online now Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:43 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir3 View Post
Hi Jan,

Did you consider 4S packs and the possibility of having enough room to install them? I haven't looked yet but were there any NiMh packs that would work?

How do you plan on wiring the LiPos together?

Keep the updates coming,

Iran
Hi Iran,

As tsenecal already mentioned, no worries about the Lipos we use them for a few years now in Holland and no problems so far.

Regarding 4 cells, well they are to big but your motors can handle more than 12 volts so a 4 cell will give you more voltage but I think we do not need it either.
Or do you want to jump out of the water with this one

Dolphin (2 min 36 sec)

I plan to use a Bec for the receiver power and lipo savers to stop the motors and bring the Sub up if dived.

I planed to use two Battery's to power the motors and two battery's for the dive system and receiver.

Regards,

Jan,
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Jan 2006
80 Posts
Hi Jan,

I was not aware you were building a VIIc. are you planning on putting a deck gun on there ?
If so I have some reference material for you. PB me if you're interested
raalst is offline Find More Posts by raalst
Last edited by raalst; Mar 10, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:24 AM
The Netherlands, FR
Joined Aug 2008
628 Posts
Again flood holes

I start to again with the Hull to grind more holes for the free flood room under the Tower.

My first feelings where that it might decreasing the strength at that part of the Hull, but Alexander Engel promised me that it will be strong enough so I started to grind them also away.

I have marked the little bulkheads with a black marker so then I'm able to see the mark wile drilling the flood holes,

and after I done it, Its really nicer and more authentic and the deck are still strong so no problems expected in the future

Just take a look at the photo's,

So I'm happy with the hull now, its now really ready concerning the flood and vent holes.

Now it will be time to get the WTC organised but that will take a wile, I need still two ESC's capable to accept 3 cell lipos and brushed electric motors and most urgent the money for that.

Regards,

Jan,
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:47 AM
ir3
Joined Dec 2007
289 Posts
New Flood Holes

Hi Jan,

Once again, great work on the flood holes. It looks like I will be switching to Li-Po's whether I get a reply from Engel or not. They are the correct fit for the ESC's and the brushless motors. Yes, getting the ESC's and brushless motors from Engel is a bit expensive but I think well worth it. The ESC's are programmable which is a nice feature. To make the change, he supplies the motors and a new aluminum bulkhead which is a perfect match for the existing non brushless motor installation so the change was easy.

I am currently cleaning up another project and will be getting back to the VIIC very soon.

As usual, keep up the great work and keep the updates coming,

Iran