SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by trees, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 22, 2010, 07:49 AM
Slope Sauce
White Salmon WA
Joined Oct 2009
770 Posts
Discussion
1990(ish) - Glow Heli

I was approximately 14 and my dad bought me a glow powered heli. I don't remember the brand, model, engine size, etc. It had a kind of baby blue plastic canopy with black painted window. The boom was aluminum if I remember correctly and it had a rubber belt running through it to power the tailrotor. A glow heli starter (with a groove) was used vertically to spin a belt attached to the motor. It must have been about 3 feet long. It was an insanely cool thing for him to do but he wasn't a hobbyist and the thing was way over my head without guidance. The shop he bought it from built it. I tried to use it but couldn't really get it started let alone fly it. I would revisit it from time to time with no luck. As I grew older I eventually got it started and off the ground (with wooden dowel and wiffleball training wheels). I had it at full throttle and it didn't want to pull more than 1ft off the ground. All of a sudden it flipped upside down disintegrated the blades and other parts on the pavement. It was tragic. I was in shock. I was too young and naive to the technical details but I think it was determined that the gyro was installed improperly. If I remember correctly gyros were not always installed back then. Not sure what the norm is these days.
trees is offline Find More Posts by trees
Last edited by trees; May 22, 2010 at 08:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts