Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Jun 2012
185 Posts
Did a minor paint job to the blade tips…should’ve went for lighter color. And also blacken the exhaust a bit. She’s still flying great!!!
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:12 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Looking good.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:13 AM
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2013
921 Posts
What say ye Pilots?

I am a proud owner of a hand-me-down, beater Syma S022 with the 49hz set.
It was in crap shape except for the radio and mainboard.
There was quite literally not a square centimeter of space that didn't have liquid tape or ca-glue holding it together.

The stock battery and replacement battery(NRG 800mah) were puffed. The stocker spun the blades but that was it and the NRG was puffed but I got about 6 mins of good flying before it went slushy.
Beaten,Broken and vibrating badly due to molested motor mounts, it flew anyway,
Man, how do I say what you guys have already said that won't sound like me just saying something someone already has?

I found this thread and read every word of every post and have since done the following:

Got me 2 replacements for parts from Syma S022 Complete with Radio and No batteries I was surprised to find all the electronics in place and functioning.

These units had the 27mhz boards and looking at them with my bud-scope can see that they had very poor quality solder as most of the joints were corroded.
The unit that looked the best(absolutely zero exterior flaws and no internal flaws) and inspected it's electronics.
Aside from noting the poor solder joints, all the output transistors were smashed against a resistor near the power wire solder points.(I may be wrong about the component nomenclature but I think you guys know where and what I'm, talking about) and there was a pretty smoke stain beneath them.

Look at the antenna now, wrapped so tight around the rear wheels that it had broken inside the insulation at the half-way point. Looking at the controller, it is glued to a broken solder joint with a red, chewing gum-like adhesive that I had also found inside the other replacement. I figure the assembler borked the routing and then tried to cover it up.

It powered up and flew but was glitchy. I had mine in-hand after the first glitch to test full-power, forward,left,right etc and had no bad vibes.

Swapped in my 49mhz board and battery and have had 13 cycles between two fresh ProtekRc Supreme Power 7.4v 850mah 2s LiPo, and extended the antenna fully and used a wheel off the landing gear of my old one and left about 3" free floating with no glitching.
I may take it and it's radio to a CB repair shop and have them 'dialed', I know bit about CB's but have no way of doing it,aside from the very rough experimenting. I figure they could do it for $20 and then I'd know I'm spot-on.
They might even be able to boost the Transmitter by swapping out resistor or cap here and there, they do it with radios all the time.

I also added 2 connect buckles to the flybar/balance bar. Not sure if I notice a difference in flight characteristics, but have seen other models that come with 2 so I figure it must be a good thing.
I cannot say as I have had any blade strikes while doing hard maneuvers, or forward to backward direction changes as reported by others.

This thing is a fat chick with teflon tights doing the "Hustle" in windless conditions, and have flown it about 65 feet high.
I fly between 4am and 8am pst most days as that's when it's been the most calm, and evenings between 9pm and 11pm.
The shape of the houses and whatnot around here make for some wild rides because of the randomness of the airflow.
Despite any interference from the wind, I've kept from doing any damage even though I've hit pretty hard. I owe that to this thread. read in here somewhere to just go dead throttle before the blades hit anything.

I have never flown before getting this heli and cannot imagine my life without it now.

I have no plans to add a gyro as it's pretty danged stable already.

I do plan to install a 9-LED flashlight pod into the body in front of the landing gear, behind the cockpit. I plan to power it with a Redcat Mini C50 Airplane 7.4v 180mah LiPo.
The flashlight came with 3 'AAA' batteries, so I figure I can take the 2 hot legs off the balance connector and have 3.7v 360mah to keep them bright.

I plan to buy a few more replacements in time and look for a quadcopter controller and some brushless motors maybe for an upgrade.

**Been looking, and can't really find a brushed 'Upgrade' as I am not really sure what the specs are on these motors.
They impress me with their lifting capacity, mine is roughly 245g in ready-to-fly format.
I get the feeling it would lift another 40-50g without being too much a burden, any thoughts?

It's an old thread and this heli has just about gone the way of the dinosaur, but I am deep in like with it and can't help myself.

I offer my sincere thanks to everyone that posted here.

Here's a poorly shot outdoor vid at the shop I volunteer at, Space Age Rc as I attempt to buzz the rock crawler course.
S022 outside

**Edit:

I have figured out that this unit consumes 100mah per minute of flight with 60-70 percent throttle, including pre-flight trip check and trimming by monitoring final charged capacity after flight and cool-down.
I also assume there is some degree of +/- to be taken into consideration.
EhnTeePee is online now Find More Posts by EhnTeePee
Last edited by EhnTeePee; Apr 14, 2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:01 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,698 Posts
Congratulations on restoring one of the icons of the r/c helicopter stable. I still have a couple of these flying and they are so much fun. I love the noise they make from the rotors. I hope you keep posting your videos and keep us up to date with your progress

cheers John.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Jun 2012
185 Posts
Awesome, great work rebuilding that bad boy...These are great heli's for sure.
-Rick
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Apr 2013
921 Posts
Bleh....

Three sets of one bad motor or other... Be it front or rear, rudder or elevator.
I am beginning to suspect these motors need a break-in of some kind.
They pull hard and fast and work great about 10 full flights of 9 mins or less each.
Swap in a burned out unit, get about the same amount.
Gonna order a set of motors both front and rear and see if I can break them in first like any other brushed motor.
If all else fails I'll only have $40 into this adventure and already got that in return of fun times.

I may jump to the S34 or maybe an Blade MCX Tandem 4 channel as my next joint of choice.
I flew in and rappelled out of a CH47 so there is this thing I need to keep going with tandem theme.

Thanks gents.
Old May 06, 2013, 04:54 PM
Motto - fly it, crash it = fun
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
Battery Type

I haven't used my S022 in a while and need to charge the battery and spare. However, I don't rememeber what type of battery came with this heli nor what the maximum voltage should be at the end of the charging. Can someone help me, please? Thanks.
fs2flyer is offline Find More Posts by fs2flyer
Old May 06, 2013, 05:47 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
8.4V is normal for a fully charged 2S (4.2V per cell). I wouldn't charge hobby cell in the stock charger though, it's notoriously unreliable at the best of times, not to mention its not a real charger, it relies on the OverChargeProtection PCB in the LiPo pack, hobby cells like those from HobbyKing do not have these PCB fitted as they are made use with real chargers.
Old May 07, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Apr 2013
921 Posts
I agree with the above post. I charge the replacement batt at no more than .8 amps. Even though I use a battery that can be charged higher. The mainboard needs better contact for the +/- (i used some pretty fat stuff). I'll get a pic up later showing how I soldered mine. I get no more "warm wires/battery/mainboard" and also no "brownouts" when doing high throttle manuevers. Got to in a new rear motor later today. Man, O love this heli.
The stock battery in mine was a 2s 600mah. I replaced it with a protek 2s 850mah 25c.
Last edited by EhnTeePee; May 07, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2013, 09:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Cobbitty
Joined Sep 2013
11 Posts
So, just got one of these for fathers day. Perhaps im on the wrong forum being im from Australia but this seems the biggest source of S022 information out on the interwebs.

Maiden flight - sucker got away from me and landed with a little less grace than intended. The issue i have is that the pin that holds the blades to the rotor is now half as long as it should be. It can still fly albeit I'd like to think its to blame for my poor flights so far (first heli purchase tho so i may be kidding myself)

Q: Are those pins meant to go through the middle of the rotor i.e is it 1 pin, or are there 2 tiny pins that hold the blades up. ...http://www.feala.com/images/S022G/DSCN7458.jpg should be what im trying to describe.

The only whole 'repair kits' for an s022 i can find are either shipped out of china or UK for approx 40 - 50 including shipping. thats almost what i paid for the heli. And for that much i'd rather go by an s026 or 2 at least.
Cheers
MrSteel is offline Find More Posts by MrSteel
Old Sep 07, 2013, 03:11 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
I have two partly stripped down S022 in my attic, I'm sure I have the part you need, I'm heading out now but I'll look them over when I get back, just cover shipping and he part is yours.
Old Sep 07, 2013, 07:18 AM
Australia, NSW, Cobbitty
Joined Sep 2013
11 Posts
RC Fever

Thanks heaps. Had a quick browse and shipping unless im mistaken is on avg upward of $20 AU.

Just found RC Fever and for roughly the same price shipping included I should get 4 replacement rotors, 4 sets of blades and 2 balance bars as most parts were discounted to $0.99 US.

The internet - bringing me closer to helicopter perfection one click at a time.
Old Sep 07, 2013, 08:22 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
No worries, if you do need me to have a look through my junk pile I'll see what shipping costs.

Just had a look at shipping for the sake of it, a 200g package cost £4.50 ($7.70 AUD) to send as airmail small package and takes about 5 days.
Last edited by djdavies83; Sep 07, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2013, 06:15 PM
Australia, NSW, Cobbitty
Joined Sep 2013
11 Posts
too good.

Mate as soon as I get home I'll work out what I'd ask you to get. Who knows what I was looking at.. ill trust an RCG member over poor reputable internet company any day. Cheers heaps.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:52 AM
Australia, NSW, Cobbitty
Joined Sep 2013
11 Posts
Ok so i've tried private messaging and its not working so im going to i guess get the gist of it out here.

Parts wise - dont wanna abuse the generosity but the main things i need to get her back to good flight would be the rear inner rotor shaft and the rear blade sets A and B.

Only because they're a little hacked up from me trying to fly it with a mostly unhinged top set of rear blades..my bad - new hobby often reads as new addiction for me

.. That all said - wanna work out how to fix you up payment wise for the shipping etc. Can email you if thats easier as to those details but yeah lemme know.

Appreciate the open offer and the help already. Love taking that chinook out for a chilled hover around the backyard when its still.. eldest son (2yr old ) i dare say loves it even more. So i know he'll be happy to know the hellicotta's not broken anymore haha.