Big_Kid is offline Find More Posts by Big_Kid
Last edited by Big_Kid; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: double post
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:25 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
71 Posts
Rhino Batteries

Ok, finally got the Rhino batteries. They are longer and wider than stock but thinner. I bought 4 and their average weight is 35.1275g. They fit in the heli fine, you just have to be creative and tuck in the leads, which are 60.5mm for the charge lead and 114mm for the battery. These would be the largest battery you could get in there without any modding. Performance is fine, get a good 7 min out of a charge, which takes about 45-50 min on stock charger.
Not a bad battery for the price, as long as you don't mind the wait from China, which took 19 days to ship to NJ. Hope this helps.....Have fun.

O yea, I forgot to mention that these batteries have Zippy labeling, so maybe they're relabeled Zippy's.
Last edited by Big_Kid; Oct 10, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Jun 2012
173 Posts
Thanks Big Kid, I'ma check it out...

-Rick
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Kid View Post
Ok, finally got the Rhino batteries.....
Performance is fine, get a good 7 min out of a charge, which takes about 45-50 min on stock charger.....
Dude I I were you I would get a real charger ASAP! I've opened up dead stock cells and they have the over charge protection PCB fitted to each cell, the Rhino/Zippy cell do not use PCBs as they are Hobby cells not toy ones, Hobby chargers have charge cut off/voltage detection build in, S022 charger does not.

S022 charger has been noted as problematic at best by a lot of users.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:29 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Jul 2011
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Dude I I were you I would get a real charger ASAP! I've opened up dead stock cells and they have the over charge protection PCB fitted to each cell, the Rhino/Zippy cell do not use PCBs as they are Hobby cells not toy ones, Hobby chargers have charge cut off/voltage detection build in, S022 charger does not.

S022 charger has been noted as problematic at best by a lot of users.
Thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to get a real charger but just haven't figured out a good one at a decent price, I'm kind of a cheapskate .
That being said, the stock charger is performing just just like it did while charging stock batteries: green light on when charging, off when charged
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:45 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,297 Posts
Not sure if this is a good price for you, but this is the charger I have:

http://www.xheli.com/thunder-ac6-charger-power.html

and I've been very happy with it. Any plugs that it doesn't come with can easily be ordered online and/or adapted for your needs.

Also check nitroplanes.com and hobbypartz.com for the same charger. Sometimes the 3 different sites run different kinds of sales. I'd definitely watch for Black Friday sales the day after Thanksgiving.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:58 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Apr 2010
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Kid View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I've been meaning to get a real charger but just haven't figured out a good one at a decent price, I'm kind of a cheapskate .
That being said, the stock charger is performing just just like it did while charging stock batteries: green light on when charging, off when charged
I still would not trust it with new unprotected cells, if you happen to have some 0.1 inch pin headers...

And your dead stock cell (to harvest balance plug and protection PCBs from) I can show you how to make a simple protection cable to go inline between the stock S022 charger and you new unprotected cells.

This would be based on a mod a did a while ago that allowed my S026 charger to charge my unprotected miniaviation cells. True a real charger IS THE BEST option but at least with a DIY protection cable it would be safe then without.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:15 AM
In my Prayers
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Not sure if this is a good price for you, but this is the charger I have:

http://www.xheli.com/thunder-ac6-charger-power.html

and I've been very happy with it. Any plugs that it doesn't come with can easily be ordered online and/or adapted for your needs.

Also check nitroplanes.com and hobbypartz.com for the same charger. Sometimes the 3 different sites run different kinds of sales. I'd definitely watch for Black Friday sales the day after Thanksgiving.
+1. Mine performs beautifully

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:26 AM
me, right now.
United States, NC, Clayton
Joined Nov 2009
497 Posts
Plugged my battery in backwards, and cooked my chinook. lights come on, but the motors are a no go. Let me know if anyone wants if for parts, I also have two 500mah batteries.
hooligan russ is offline Find More Posts by hooligan russ
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:48 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
I just got a SO22 as a lovely Christmas Present! It flies rather well when I'm gentle and in control of it. Unfortunately, it will randomly rev up even when my fingers not on the throttle at all. It has done this mid flight or when on the ground. If its in mid flight the throttle just opens up and then it plumets to its death. Ive managed to avoid any real damage to the copter other than its shell popping out of place in the nose and some blade damage when it took off inside without my command to do so. It has done this with my transmitter off and with it on. I have done some research and found it could be my transmitter, receiver, or the copter is getting random radio signals from something else. I have read about others with this same exact problem which may eliminate rogue radio signals. It does this with my transmitter on or off while the antenna is fully extended so that would leave my receiver, which is on the circuit board. So my questions are has anyone else had this problem. If so, how did you fix it, and if its my circuit board, I found three different versions when I looked up the part (27mhz, 40mhz, or 49mhz) so I would like to know which one would be best for my copter and how to tell if there is a way. Thank you for any help I am given.
fishyslick is offline Find More Posts by fishyslick
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:58 AM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,370 Posts
had this problem and by making an adjustment to the PCB it flew maybe 10 times reasonably well. After that I gave up on it. The part on the PCB is covered in some kind of wax. Someone had suggested to remove the wax then use a screwdriver to turn the screw inside a tiny bit left or right until it stops flying on its own and listens to the controls. I did this many times until I found the right setting. Search the thread for more info on it.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyslick View Post
I just got a SO22 as a lovely Christmas Present! It flies rather well when I'm gentle and in control of it. Unfortunately, it will randomly rev up even when my fingers not on the throttle at all. It has done this mid flight or when on the ground. If its in mid flight the throttle just opens up and then it plumets to its death. Ive managed to avoid any real damage to the copter other than its shell popping out of place in the nose and some blade damage when it took off inside without my command to do so. It has done this with my transmitter off and with it on. I have done some research and found it could be my transmitter, receiver, or the copter is getting random radio signals from something else. I have read about others with this same exact problem which may eliminate rogue radio signals. It does this with my transmitter on or off while the antenna is fully extended so that would leave my receiver, which is on the circuit board. So my questions are has anyone else had this problem. If so, how did you fix it, and if its my circuit board, I found three different versions when I looked up the part (27mhz, 40mhz, or 49mhz) so I would like to know which one would be best for my copter and how to tell if there is a way. Thank you for any help I am given.
Welcome fishyslick, This might be it:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...248398&page=59
post #875.....Good luck my friend, It's a great bird if you get her flying right.
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2012
205 Posts
Hi guys, I have 2 -S022's and I made a thread on modifications to it that help it out alot!
Has anyone tryed a 7.4 800mAh 20C battery? You will be amazed with what the bird can do with this battery. The specs say that it is suppose to come with an 800mAh but that's not true. What you get is much less, more like a 5 or 600.
I also like to fly it outdoors with mild wind........it can really move!

Check out my thread in the Coaxial Heli Forum under SYMA S022 (CH47 CHINOOK) MODS.
Thanks.
Evercopter4 is offline Find More Posts by Evercopter4
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
had this problem and by making an adjustment to the PCB it flew maybe 10 times reasonably well. After that I gave up on it. The part on the PCB is covered in some kind of wax. Someone had suggested to remove the wax then use a screwdriver to turn the screw inside a tiny bit left or right until it stops flying on its own and listens to the controls. I did this many times until I found the right setting. Search the thread for more info on it.
Thanks, it seems to work now, but I only got it in the air for a bit because my battery was running low and I had some other things to do. I will commence more testing tomorrow with a better charge on the copter and hopefully the winds here will die down. If it gives me the problem again I know what to do, and if the worst comes we have a spare circuit board on order. Thank you for all the help and hopefully my future posts will be of how much I like my SO22!
fishyslick is offline Find More Posts by fishyslick
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:08 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Only the 27MHz version seems very common.

The receiver antenna is a fiarly long wire that should be unwrapped from the back wheels on unpacking. Unless it is dangled to its full length the signal from your Tx seems to easily be swamped by spurious signal sources in the same band, and an altered length or coiling seems to de-tune the Rx a bit as well making things worse.

I'm not sure whether that inductor is an antenna loading coil or what, but I would not recommend adjusting the slug in it as described above.

This can be a tricky bird to fly with no heading hold gyro. But they're fun little monsters outside. Not what I'd call an indoor flyer considering how many ways they can get away from you and jump to the ceiling or go into a spin. On my second one now, having lost one high in a tall tree early last summer. They can really get up there!
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT