HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2012, 03:05 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Another flight with antennas extended today and sure enough, no interference. I'm not betting on this as the answer but it looks good so far.

Dragtenna spoils Dolly's looks or what?
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
United States, FL
Joined Jul 2011
64 Posts
S022 Flybar

I've been struggling all day trying to replace the flybar after replacing the rear inner shaft.
The pin doesn't want to come out. Is there any tips on how to accomplish this task?
Thank you
marsol is offline Find More Posts by marsol
Old May 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Had my S022 in the air today with a Mini DV cam strapped aboard.

I managed to get it up too high trying to avoid it getting on the roof when the wind caught it. Silly thing got away from me. I chased it for a bit then lost it when it went behind a tree.

Across the street, through one neighbors' back yard, down a hill, through a muddy swale, through the yard on the next block... I was thinking "oh crap, high in a tree or something for sure."

Crossed the next street into the park where I should've flown in the 1st place (but I'd only anticpated one very short flight when I started). Started scanning around and sure 'nuff I spotted the heli sitting in the center of the field.

Dragtenna well wrapped anound the rear rotors and the DVR had come off but everything was intact and still working... except:

No video on the μSD card. Dang, dang, dang! And that sucker got up high too.

I assume either the power ran out (seems unlikely) or crash shock prevented the data from being stored properly.

Oh well, have to try again.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsol View Post
I've been struggling all day trying to replace the flybar after replacing the rear inner shaft.
The pin doesn't want to come out. Is there any tips on how to accomplish this task?
Thank you
Those pins sometimes need a little persuasion to get out. On smaller pins I have successfully used a plastic-head push pin. On tougher jobs I place the flybar over the center of a roll of electricians tape and then tap it it with a sharp nail. I also use a watch pin removal tool.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old May 14, 2012, 04:37 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I just tried this myself and at ~60 degrees it has calmed down immensely but did act up for a second... I'll try a few more degrees to see what that does. Looks promising!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig_31 View Post
I removed the sticky thing from the coil and turned tiny screw inside it CW by 180 degrees from it's initial position.(turning it CCW changed nothing) Then i started heli firmly holding it in hand and... it didn't budge. Then i turned on transmitter and it worked perfectly!
Well, I've flown around 10 flights since making this adjustment. The S022 went from useless to just fine.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
22 Posts
Hello again to all

This battery can be good for the Syma S022?

1000 mah 30-45c

I tried it and fly
Power is fine but I wanted to know?
risk of burn engines ecc pcb if I use it for long?
thanks
ruainicus is offline Find More Posts by ruainicus
Old May 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
If it is a 2S pack (7.4V) and you have a charger that can handle it without overheating/damage and the heli can lift it ok... I'd say it should be fine. The main issue with the motors would be running them too long and overheating, which this larger battery might permit.
Old May 15, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
One thing about flying with the dragtenna extended is that anything but a mild descent can result in it wrapping around the rear rotors.

I'm almost tempted to re-route it though a hole closer to the middle of the body and add a small weight (fishing sinker?) at the end. Does this sound as nutty to you as it does to me? Just a thought.
Last edited by SubtleT; May 15, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 01:12 AM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,445 Posts
I've wrapped my antenna in a square around the 4 landing gear. The problem I'm having now is after getting the sensitivity adjusted and working for a solid week or so, suddenly now I can't get it to tilt forward or backwards. I'm not sure what the problem is - I've even added weights to the nose and it still doesn't want to tilt. I think mine's a dud all around.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 02:15 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
I don't know the exact reason but when I wound my antenna in a square I had almost no control became limited, I would it back around the rear wheels again free just one flight.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old May 23, 2012, 08:53 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post
One thing about flying with the dragtenna extended is that anything but a mild descent can result in it wrapping around the rear rotors.

I'm almost tempted to re-route it though a hole closer to the middle of the body and add a small weight (fishing sinker?) at the end. Does this sound as nutty to you as it does to me? Just a thought.
What about stringing the antenna through a lightweight plastic straw? That might give it sufficient rigidity so it wouldn't blow around and get caught up in the rotors. Of course, you'd want to affix the straw to the fuselage somehow to provide strain relief to the antenna wire.
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I've looked at a few ideas. The problem is this is electrically a base-loaded umnidirectional whip antenna, so (a.) it must be straight, (b.) it must be vertically aligned, (c.) it needs to be close to 22" long, and (d.) it cannot have things like 90 degree bends. Violating any of those conditions "detunes" the antenna and you're back to higher amounts of interference and surging and diminished control range.

A weird idea I had was using a thin rigid wire, with a loop bent around one of the rear wheels' axles so it can "pivot" freely from horiz. to vertical on takeoff - then cut the existing wire short and solder it to this rigid wire. But on landing it'd just be a mess.

This makes the "rock on a string" idea look best so far... and not good enough to even be worth trying.
Old May 24, 2012, 06:04 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,445 Posts
maybe I'll drill a small hole in the nose and pull the antenna out through that, then along the bottom of the fuselage and tape it in place so whatever's left of the wire hangs off the back.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 04:48 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
FIY:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=11

Quote:
The new Gyro S022 will be ready in 2 months.
I'll believe it when I see it though. Seems like every source has been saying real soon now for several months.
Old May 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
22 Posts
Hello again to all,

does anyone know how much weight can manage to raise the S022?
ruainicus is offline Find More Posts by ruainicus