SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Better to buy a COMPLETE, fresh, perfect one and have the 'old' one for a full spares kit. IMHO.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:16 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bechtelfriend View Post
The sound is what gets me - it's just so loud, and I always wanted to be a military chopper pilot growing up, so it's a bit of reliving childhood fantasy.
It makes a realistic 'droning' noise doesn't it? Sounds even better if you take it high up (see my pic in the first post) .Looks very realistic.

You're right in what you say; this is a cargo ship and just needs to be gently guided round the skies. Very small stick movements and thinking slightly ahead will do it.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:48 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron25 View Post
It makes a realistic 'droning' noise doesn't it? Sounds even better if you take it high up (see my pic in the first post) .Looks very realistic.

You're right in what you say; this is a cargo ship and just needs to be gently guided round the skies. Very small stick movements and thinking slightly ahead will do it.
deffo need to be gentle with this green hotdog, from full forwards (with 3-4 forward trim clicks) to backwards and turn WILL ALWAYS result in blade strikes!

Anyone know a reasonable uk supplier for a new cell pack?

I've been tempted the make a harnes for 2 of the 950mAh nokia N95 BL-5F LiIon cells I have.

I have a iPhone 3Gs and yes while the internet is so much better I do still miss my dear old N95 :'(
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Last edited by djdavies83; Jul 20, 2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: correct image
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:26 AM
3ne2dbone
Trinidad and Tobago
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
Im really getting the hang of this thing and its pretty fun. Just now I realised I forgot the batter was charging and it charged about 3 or 4 hours now I noticed the battery is squishy.

I flied it and it seems to last the same amount of time as before but will it get worse?
CptAwesomeTT is offline Find More Posts by CptAwesomeTT
Old Jul 22, 2010, 02:03 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
timer charging the S022

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptAwesomeTT View Post
Im really getting the hang of this thing and its pretty fun. Just now I realised I forgot the batter was charging and it charged about 3 or 4 hours now I noticed the battery is squishy.

I flied it and it seems to last the same amount of time as before but will it get worse?
Personally I'm not sure, from what I remember mine was wirking fine then on day it got really short, and next time a little shorter, once I get new cells I think I'll have to do the same Ghetto chaeging method as my old 603 Syma with NiMh 7.2V pack..

It had no smart charger or timer with it's charger, just a standard adaptor, I looked at the rating on the pack and thhe output of the charger and could see it was about two hours.

so I plugged the charger into one of those socket timers that people use for thier tv's and table lamps when they go on holiday, They can be found in most pound stores, or inn the back of one of grandma's cupboards.

I just set the time on it to just before 12:00 and told it to come on at 12:00 and off at 14:00 worked a treat, especially when I forgot it was on or when I would want it to charge overnight

Of course it would be set for 12:00-13:30 with the S022.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:02 AM
3ne2dbone
Trinidad and Tobago
Joined Jul 2010
32 Posts
Roger that. I ordered two replacement batteries just in case.
CptAwesomeTT is offline Find More Posts by CptAwesomeTT
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:51 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
See my mild Pack mod here:
http://www.air-sharp.com/chinooksbattcopter.htm

These batteries give you a LOT more power and runtime than the stock replacement does. I was shocked at how much, I seem to just fly and fly on a pack now.
IF you want a FAST helicopter, the SYMA S022 Chinook is exactly what you're looking for.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:15 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Where is the cheapest place to buy this heli?
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:09 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Cheap-fast-correct.
Remember, it's only possible to get two out of three here!

EBay, doan' cha know. I'd go xheli or Hobby-estore on this one, tho, and GET it fast-er, and correct-er.

This one's truly one of the gems of RC, folks. It just works.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 06:37 PM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
GET it fast-er, and correct-er.
Actually, for an unkown reason it's the exact same time. From HK or CA, USA to Montreal, Qc, Canada.

I gotta agree on correct-er.
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:12 PM
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
See my mild Pack mod here:
http://www.air-sharp.com/chinooksbattcopter.htm

These batteries give you a LOT more power and runtime than the stock replacement does. I was shocked at how much, I seem to just fly and fly on a pack now.
IF you want a FAST helicopter, the SYMA S022 Chinook is exactly what you're looking for.
Remind me how the battery specs affect performance... is a lower mAh rating a slower discharge, and that's why your 600mAh one lasts longer than 800 or 1000? I would have thought you get _less_ power with a slower discharge, but you said you get more power and runtime. Also, how does the weight of your 600 compare to the stock battery? Can't be too much more if you still get longer runtime. I might try this out. After I buy a new bird. I'm pretty bummed we can't find a way to fix my front rotor. I've gotten very attached to this one.
bechtelfriend is offline Find More Posts by bechtelfriend
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:06 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Have you tried swapping the fron and back motors around?

If it drifts and does weird things in the oposite direction to before, it's a motor fault
If it drifts and does weird things in the same direction, it's a mech fault, gears, shafts, blades etc.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 08:10 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I think the 600mAh pack I installed has more surface area per fold- I'd noticed that the long skinny S032 packs were wimpy compared to other 450mAh packs that were wide and flat- so I think the battery heats less, hence higher efficiency.
I had quite a few cycles on the stocker, but it should have still been getting better, not worse at that point in its cycle lifetime.
Also- I think the stock charger stops a bit short of full charge, as a different one I have seemed to get the cells perkier after a charge session.
Last edited by killbucket; Jul 28, 2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:30 PM
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Have you tried swapping the fron and back motors around?

If it drifts and does weird things in the oposite direction to before, it's a motor fault
If it drifts and does weird things in the same direction, it's a mech fault, gears, shafts, blades etc.
I opened it up again the other night and took out the motor mounts, but then I got cold feet (and my 3 month old twins started crying) so I buttoned it back up. I wasn't sure about removing the motors from the mounts to swap them to the back, and it looked like maybe I would need to unplug them from the circuit board and swap them there too. While I had it apart, I fooled with the lower blades on the front too, and somehow when I put it all back together the imbalance in the front rotor was gone - perfect rotation. Maybe the mount was loose and I tightened up, I don't know. I flew it in the house and it wasn't too bad. Then last night it looked pretty calm outside so I thought, what the heck I'll give it a shot. Best flight I've had since I bought it, it was awesome. I took a video of it that I'll post as soon as I can get it uploaded from my camera. I managed to take off and land in almost the exact same spot, and I had one flyby in the video that looks like the intro to the original Star Trek where the Enterprise zooms straight at the camera. I got a solid 5:30 of flight time out of a battery I thought was on it's way out. The coolest flying was actually when the charge was almost gone, because it got down close to the grass and the ground effect kept it 3-4 inches off the ground, even going up a hill. I had about 4-5 clicks of fwd trim so it was constantly in a slightly nose-down pitch. I could go on and on. I LOVE my Chinook!!
bechtelfriend is offline Find More Posts by bechtelfriend
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:41 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I do agree, this may be the best value, fun per dollar, in ALL of RC.

I really need to order a second and third one of these things.

I have other paint ideas, but like what I've done with this one.

I'd previously shown how I hid the antenna wire inside...this great for indoors.
Not so great out. I had her out back a few evenings ago, and about 15 feet up, lost radio link. Wild spiral ensues, and it chops its way down through the fig tree, to a relatively uneventful bounce. Whew! Still fun.

If I had any interest in flying a camera around (I don't in the least), this would be the copter I'd use, and I'd mount the camera aimed to the side, not the front. That way, it could fly AND keep items in frame.