HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:23 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,835 Posts
John, you are in the DSM2ir project with Dave?!?! I LOVE you guys!!!
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:38 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
John, you are in the DSM2ir project with Dave?!?! I LOVE you guys!!!
Yes I am in the same project and can tell you I have been flying my S102G, S107, S109 and S111G with the "gizmo".

I also have a few UDI helis and I have flown all of them using a stock 2.4Ghz Tx so I am only using four AA batteries lol and I can also switch the lights on and off the helis.

I am expecting a different "gizmo" soon that will convert my S022 to 2.4Ghz.

It is a great idea and I hope everything works out as we hope it will
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:08 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,835 Posts
Keep up the good work. You guys are my heroes. I just hope that I could afford it when it's ready.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I was checking out the Syma site a few days ago and they have the S022 now with a gyro, that is one beast I would like to have a fly with.

The S026G is a great little heli to throw about, here is a video I did with one of my mini Chinooks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9aq3Y83Dgw
Yes, I saw that too. Too bad I already ordered my standard S022. I would have definitely paid more for the 022g.
WoodyBoater is offline Find More Posts by WoodyBoater
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:31 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyBoater View Post
Yes, I saw that too. Too bad I already ordered my standard S022. I would have definitely paid more for the 022g.
The S022 is great to fly and it makes a terrific sound, you just have to be ready to give some opposite stick when turning. I'm sure you will have good times with it
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:50 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Apr 2010
3,500 Posts
Quote:
I am expecting a different "gizmo" soon that will convert my S022 to 2.4Ghz.

It is a great idea and I hope everything works out as we hope it will
Erm John, this version supports S022, it need a little refinement with the trim settings but the version we have can do S022, you just need to solder a servo connector onto a S022 PCB and cut the trace between the two chips like in the photo on the product info page, like a say the S022 protocol needs a little more work (bug finding etc, our job :s ) so I would not try it indoors until you know how well it will trim. If you do try it indoors by carefull, and also film it just in case some thing funny happens

For everyone who would like to see it working......

Here's a short S107 test from a Friday night.
DSM2ir product sneak peek (1 min 36 sec)

The video is currently "link only" so it will not come up in searches, once I have done more testing I'll be making a proper video review, this may have it's own thread soon.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jan 09, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
I was checking out the Syma site a few days ago and they have the S022 now with a gyro, that is one beast I would like to have a fly with.

The S026G is a great little heli to throw about, here is a video I did with one of my mini Chinooks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9aq3Y83Dgw
Wow Scotsoft, you are truly the Airborne Nureyev of the Living Room! I am inclined not to show this wonderful video to my junior partner in mini-aviation (my son) because he is heartbroken by our rear motor breakdown on day 2 of our adventures with the our Christmas Big Chinook! We patiently are awaiting parts for repair.

But this is really inspiring. Also, keep us posted if you see availability on the G version of the S022. Will that update reflect any other engineered improvements, I wonder? (like longer lasting motors?)

Toltec21
Toltec21 is offline Find More Posts by Toltec21
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:25 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
1,941 Posts
Have not been around here in sometime and was surprised to hear about all the motor failures being experienced with the s022
My S022 from Aug 2010 still flys great today and has alot of flight time on it.
I Purchased a New S022 back in Nov just to have a spare for when my current one experiences a failure. Have not even opened the Box But I guess I better get it out and test fly it.

Question for the ones that had motor failures, Were you putting multiple batteries thru it without allowing the motors to cool between batteries?
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:29 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
1,941 Posts
Actually the very first S022 I purchased back in Aug 2010 thru amazon had this exact same problem as you are having.
Suspect it had a Controller Board problem and returned it to amazon and ordered a replacement that has worked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Hi all,
1st off, the first time I turned on my S022 and set it down, the blades kicked on full throttle automatically, sending it crashing into the ceiling. Thankfully it was not badly damaged.
Being more carefull, and taking it outside, I found it continued to do the same thing sporadically giving itself full throttle, even with the controler on. One touch of any control knob and it was back in control, but this does not sound like a normal thing for it to be doing. Any comments?
Also one more quick question ... should I un-wrap the antena wire and let it hang while flying? Or should it stay wrapped around the rear landing gear at all times?
Thanks in advance for you help.
ST
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Jan 10, 2012, 05:44 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post
Wow Scotsoft, you are truly the Airborne Nureyev of the Living Room! I am inclined not to show this wonderful video to my junior partner in mini-aviation (my son) because he is heartbroken by our rear motor breakdown on day 2 of our adventures with the our Christmas Big Chinook! We patiently are awaiting parts for repair.

But this is really inspiring. Also, keep us posted if you see availability on the G version of the S022. Will that update reflect any other engineered improvements, I wonder? (like longer lasting motors?)

Toltec21
You are too kind - Nueyev? More like Kamikaze
I just like throwing these little helis about and pushing them till they drop.

I tried to help you and little toltec out with your motor problem, sorry I had mentioned the wrong problem

Any info I find on the S022G will be posted after I have placed my order
Last edited by scotsoft; Jan 14, 2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Message amended
Old Jan 10, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
Have not been around here in sometime and was surprised to hear about all the motor failures being experienced with the s022
My S022 from Aug 2010 still flys great today and has alot of flight time on it.
I Purchased a New S022 back in Nov just to have a spare for when my current one experiences a failure. Have not even opened the Box But I guess I better get it out and test fly it.

Question for the ones that had motor failures, Were you putting multiple batteries thru it without allowing the motors to cool between batteries?
Jtravel, in our case, we first read through every page of both of the active S022 threads before even opening the box of our S022 and a few other helis, as well, so we were cautious to approach this from the battery management standpoint: less than 5 minutes of total flight time, as well as long cooling periods, and no overcharging. By recollection, we only had Christmas Day of glorious living room excursions and some the following day. I can recall how ecstatic were were about the Big Chinook's sound!

At some point the second day, and again, with minimal overall flight time, the rear upper rotor largely gave out. Handling it a time or two produced a few seconds of that rotor spinning a bit, which lead me to believe it was a physical connection, but then it was dead.

I admit I probably did not have the right tools, so getting the screws off the fuselage was a bear, and I stripped a lot of the screws (that's a problem for another day) and when I got her open, I swapped the connections to the motors on the PCB board. The front motors still ran correctly, the lower rear motor ran, but the upper rear motor still did not. So we know it's not the PCB board and I think I've isolated the problem.

We ordered a rear motor set from Xheli that should arrive any day now (someone here pointed out the parts shipping discount! thanks again, mate!) and I still have a stripped screw holding the motor frame to the fuselage to deal with. Ive just got to find a new source for these screws!

So I think we just had a little bad luck with a faulty motor set. I can't say it's been a widespread problem, but some of the S022 info seekers here on RCGroups have encountered this problem, but more handily replaced the motors, and then got back to the skies.

It never occurred to me to try and return the Heli, but having opened her up, I'm sure I've voided any warranty and opportunity for that.

But I'm somewhat chalking it up to a lesson in repairs and taking hints from the good flight engineers here on the Big Chinook Thread.

Toltec21 in Austin
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
You are too kind - Nueyev? More like Kamikaze
I just like throwing these little helis about and pushing them till they drop.

It was your S026G I helped you and "little Toltec" get back in the air on Christmas day wasn't it?
If I remeber correctly it was a lost flybar weight turned out to be the culprit, you found it and put it back with some CA

Any info I find on the S022G will be posted after I have placed my order
Scotsoft, you HAVE been most helpful with your direct encouragement to perform our repairs, and we've learned from your many troubleshooting comments to other proud Big Chinook Owners, but sadly we've been grounded for a while!

FYI, to raise the excitement level, I just checked my delivery status on our replacement rear motor set and it says "delivered Jan 9th", so I'm going to try and chase that package down. Looks like things are in my court to get that last stripped screw off the motor frame. It's the upper screw of the two screws that hold the motor frame, and it's about 80% stripped!

T21
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Hey Lads,
Have any of you seen this video (not an S022)? It is definitely the best Chinook I've seen and the guy can fly the hell out of it. The Alps make a fantastic background.
Chinook mit Turbine (6 min 31 sec)
WoodyBoater is offline Find More Posts by WoodyBoater
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Aug 2008
20 Posts
Are you sure that is not a S022?
forrestsmith is offline Find More Posts by forrestsmith
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:08 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,677 Posts