HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2010, 11:08 AM
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
60 Posts
Couple of questions on the S022 -
1. Does it make any difference what you do with the "antenna" on the helicopter itself? I have just left mine wrapped around the rear wheels and it seems to be ok. I didn't like how it looks with a tail hanging down.
2. Mine came with only a single flybar linkage on each rotor - would that have any effect on performance?

I'm not having any noticable problems flying, just curious if I could improve anything. Occasionally I have trouble turning right, but I think it probably has to do with the amount of throttle or torque at that moment. It seems to want to pivot around the front rotor, so I think turning must involve slowing that motor down enough to make it counter-rotate. Otherwise, I love this thing. Yesterday I thought I would test my skill by taking off in the bedroom and flying down the hallway to the living room where I have a vaulted ceiling and plenty of room. It drifted into the door but it actually maintained a hover for about two seconds while both rotors were thumping against it. It probably could have gone longer but I grabbed it rather than find out. I'm amazed at the power and durability. My blades are starting to get some bumps and notches, so I'll probably be ordering new ones soon.
bechtelfriend is offline Find More Posts by bechtelfriend
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:38 PM
Birmingham UK
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
Checked the motor housing are in place, so OK there.

I'm going to swap the blades from front to back to if that helps, but I'm thinking it's a motor down on power. They all seem to be working OK, free and no notching so will probably best to order a new complete set and rplace the lot.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Bones126 is offline Find More Posts by Bones126
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:45 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
This maybe of some help, it's a video of what the S022 looks like inside.
Inside the Syma Big "Chinook XL" S022 (2 min 42 sec)

you may want to take a look at a post I made in the last S022 forum
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=40
This post shows my front motor unit forced out of whack by... Well... A very heavy WHACK from slamming into the ground inverted after getting hung up on a telephone wire.

It's is possie that a motor "end bell" has slipped out of place a little with just normal use and the brush is not in full contact with the communicator or "com" so it's not giving full power. You can see in the post I've linked that happened in my crash.

EDIT:-
I didn't see the last 3 posts before I wrote this the first time, before buying new motors/units, if the cables are long enough try swapping the front and rear units and thier connectors, if it starts to drift forwards then one of the motors in that unit is not at full power.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Last edited by djdavies83; Jun 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Spelling and unit swap around.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 12:49 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Bingo. I'd mis-recalled your Chinook's problem.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:17 PM
Birmingham UK
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
This maybe of some help, it's a video of what the S022 looks like inside.

It's is possie that a motor "end bell" has slipped out of place a little with just normal use and the brush is not in full contact with the communicator or "com" so it's not giving full power. You can see in the post I've linked that happened in my crash.

EDIT:-
I didn't see the last 3 posts before I wrote this the first time, before buying new motors/units, if the cables are long enough try swapping the front and rear units and thier connectors, if it starts to drift forwards then one of the motors in that unit is not at full power.
Thanks for that, I'll take it apart again (will have to anyway if buying new motors) and check the motor brushes etc as you suggest.

Cheers
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:16 PM
Birmingham UK
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
Firstly, I appolagies for Hi Jacking this thread with my problems. If these posts can be moved to a more appropriate thread please do.

I have re-opened it up and checked the motors, what I found was that on one of the rear motors there is a wire that is soldered to the body of the motor which has broke loose. I think that the motor may not be fully powering up because it's not earthing properly.
I shall get it soldered and then build it back up to test.

Retested the trims too, which you can hear are working so the Tx must be OK and not the problem.

I'll let you know, but thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:35 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
I unsoldered mine to reseat the endbell, I remembered to put it back when I was finished so I can't say how much effect that wire being off will have if any but in my opinion, if it's on there coming from the factory then it should be there now, I would say YES solder it back on.

I'm not in charge but I would say I'm happy for this to stay on the thread, It's 100% related to the model in question and this is the first place I would look if I wanted to get help.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 04:33 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
My $.02 on the antique wire hanging out the rear:

I've meant to look this up a zillion (OK, five or six) times, to see how it was done, "Old School"...

Needless to say, mine's wrapped around my wheels too.
Bummer, 'cause I'd taken the time to hone the wheel centers for "rolling takeoffs" (mostly aborted into furnishings- the S022 prefers some brute on the throttle for departure), and the wire is now dragging on every one.

Maybe we could get a more experienced member to show us a Big Chinook "done up"?

found on the web
A trick on RC trucks (was) to wrap the antenna wire around a thin strip of plastic, in a wide spiral, and put it under the body. I was considering something like this...too lazy to make the laughably simple part.

If the antenna's going to be wound up into a pretzel anyways, I don't see any reason it can't be hidden inside craftily.

What I know about old, spindly, easy to shorten because you know no better* antennas:
Straight, fully extended, and parallel to the Tx antenna, and not crossing itself, is "correct".
What I've actually seen operating is much less than that.
*Guilty!

EDIT: Never cut an antenna wire to shorten it!
Last edited by killbucket; Jun 19, 2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:45 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,671 Posts
I can quite easily say what NOT to do with it.....

I unwound mine then wraped it around all 4 wheels in a sorta rectangle, I had got my partner to agree to filming m trying to fly through some branches on a tree but... not good results for the antenna, Throttle started to stick and cut out and yaw control became almost useless.

Now it's back around the back wheels like when I got it mt only problem is needing a new lipo.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:13 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
disclaimer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post
Yeah, I really like the part where the guy comes in and justifies Killbucket's behavior to him. Insuring that he posts another off topic post with a picture and continues to do so in multiple threads.

This isn't about his opinion. It's about the tone, and content of his posts. I may be a know it all and opinionated when it comes to coaxials, but I've earned the right to be. It's one thing to imply expert knowledge on a subject when you actually have it and another to imply that you're an expert on a subject when you aren't.
He's right!

Meanwhile, I stuffed my pesky Aunt Emma into the Fuse El Lage`...
And found it works just fine...keep in mind I'm not flying much more than 40' away or so, but no ill behavior.

Now I'll pull the screws BACK out, and replace my blue tape with bitty dots of hot-melt glue, so the antenna doesn't try to meet gears in there.

Just how I did mine, not an instructional, K?
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:58 PM
Birmingham UK
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones126 View Post
Firstly, I appolagies for Hi Jacking this thread with my problems. If these posts can be moved to a more appropriate thread please do.

I have re-opened it up and checked the motors, what I found was that on one of the rear motors there is a wire that is soldered to the body of the motor which has broke loose. I think that the motor may not be fully powering up because it's not earthing properly.
I shall get it soldered and then build it back up to test.

Retested the trims too, which you can hear are working so the Tx must be OK and not the problem.

I'll let you know, but thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Unfortunatly resoldering this wire had no affect, so it looks like a/the motors need replacing
Old Jun 22, 2010, 02:04 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Nothing to lose time!

Pry the motor end cap off (you're gonna toss it anyway, right?).

Take a look inside, you may get lucky and spot something...it will at least be interesting.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 03:15 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Anyone else think those motors look very cheap and trashy??? I used to have slot cars with motors like that.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:26 PM
Newcastle, England
Joined Jun 2010
6 Posts
they might well be cheap trashy motors, but i bought a syma s006 about 6 months(this is what got me hooked on heli's) and crash after crash after crash, i just pick it up and fly again, i have not bought a single spare for this heli, i havn't even used the spare blades you get in the box.
The only damge it has is a snapped skid, and that was my fault, it was bent and I "straightened" it in two. lol

Anyway i really fancy the big version of this chinook. Anyone tried the big one, whats it like.
Slim_uk is offline Find More Posts by Slim_uk
Old Jun 22, 2010, 04:42 PM
Birmingham UK
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
Nothing to lose time!

Pry the motor end cap off (you're gonna toss it anyway, right?).

Take a look inside, you may get lucky and spot something...it will at least be interesting.
Totally agree, I'll strip it down again when I find time. But for now I'll have to enjoy my Mini Chin and my S107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim_uk View Post
Anyway i really fancy the big version of this chinook. Anyone tried the big one, whats it like.
Hi, what we are discussing is the Big One and it's superb, equally as good as the mini, but the sound off it is sweet. Needs a largish room to fly it indoors though as in a small room it creates enough turbulas to blow it off course.

Go for it.