HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2010, 08:43 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post

Nevermind, I'll Hack-N-Slash my two defunct S031's myself!
this sounds ace, one question...

As the two receivers are on the same band that's great for throttle, left and right but, with the s026 and s022 doing forward and backward by chaning the power balance between front and rear pairs, how are you you going to do forward and backward when the s031's have tail motors?

I'll admit I know nothing about the s031 other than they are 9.6v (ok 11.1v in your case) huge cat slicers.

I have one idea, as all the controlls will work in tandem you could place both tail motors sticking out at 45 degres of each rear corner then they could push up or down on the back end and hopefully work as they would normaly.

Oh! Just had another idea one sticking out the nose (blades down) and the other sticking out the tail end (blades up as normal), when you move stick forwards front will pull down and the back will push up and of course, the same deal in reverse, kinda like a see-saw.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:22 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
Erm guys? I think I have some how killed my s022 lipo, should a lipo always feel solid? I unscrewed the door to have a look after it only lasted about 3 mins on a full charge and it was warm and squishy feeling, is it cannon fodder now?

Looks like I'll have to buy that 5 pack I saw on eBay.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 05:18 PM
Joined May 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bechtelfriend View Post
So I contacted the vendor toptoyexpress.com and got an immediate reply asking for pics of my charger and all the connections. They are now sending me a replacement charger and adapter - and I requested a charger that will directly fit into a US wall outlet so I don't have to use a converter. We'll see if the new charger/adapter will actually work, but I've been impressed with their service so far, and the prices were low although shipping was high from Hong Kong. I got the S022 and an S107 for $86 incl. shipping. The 107 was only $20.
Yeah it was fast shipoping for me as well. I just ordered multiple stuff and the shipping became cheaper as i added on. I also got the wrong charger with my s022. They replacedit no questions asked. Unfortunately my s022 still wont fly properly. I still cant figure out whats wrong with it.
Anthony70 is offline Find More Posts by Anthony70
Old Jun 09, 2010, 10:38 PM
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony70 View Post
Yeah it was fast shipoping for me as well. I just ordered multiple stuff and the shipping became cheaper as i added on. I also got the wrong charger with my s022. They replacedit no questions asked. Unfortunately my s022 still wont fly properly. I still cant figure out whats wrong with it.
Yeah, they replaced my charger also and I'm now in business. I've been very happy with the service of Top Toy Express.
I've only had time for a couple of test flights in the living room (loft ceiling helps for space), but I'm loving every minute of it. I haven't had calm enough weather yet to take it outside. What is yours doing or not doing "properly"? Mine is really sensitive on the controls, so I have to make fine movements with the sticks otherwise it overcompensates. I spent my last flight just practicing a hover to get it trimmed and to get a feel for how turns / rotates, and once I had that I took a few laps around the room with successful landings and takeoffs.
bechtelfriend is offline Find More Posts by bechtelfriend
Old Jun 10, 2010, 12:58 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
I found flying the big Chinook very similar to flying my fixed-wing rudder/elevator planes - once the heli starts to turn then that's the time to 'kill' the turn by a little opposite rudder. If you hold the turn on too much you'll go past where you want to be

Basically you just have to think a second or so ahead all the time - no 'instant stop' like a gyro-equipped model has. You should enjoy it outdoors, it looks and sounds most realistic - pity I rarely get any calm days where I live.
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Jun 10, 2010, 03:46 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,685 Posts
Here's my S022 out in the calm air of a sorta common garden type area.
S022 outdoors with tree crash (3 min 20 sec)
Old Jun 10, 2010, 05:44 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
One of the best low-priced copters, pssibly the best tandem.
I usually own more than one of something like this- just in case I need a spare.
I haven't needed anything for mine, it's almost two months old now.

Does look strange to see one all pristine, mine's been dry-brushed.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined May 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bechtelfriend View Post
Yeah, they replaced my charger also and I'm now in business. I've been very happy with the service of Top Toy Express.
I've only had time for a couple of test flights in the living room (loft ceiling helps for space), but I'm loving every minute of it. I haven't had calm enough weather yet to take it outside. What is yours doing or not doing "properly"? Mine is really sensitive on the controls, so I have to make fine movements with the sticks otherwise it overcompensates. I spent my last flight just practicing a hover to get it trimmed and to get a feel for how turns / rotates, and once I had that I took a few laps around the room with successful landings and takeoffs.

It nose dives every time. It flew for correct about 1 minute when I first got it. I havent been able to figure it out yet. It has noting to do with battery or trim and the rotors seem to be fine.
Anthony70 is offline Find More Posts by Anthony70
Old Jun 19, 2010, 05:46 AM
Birmingham UK
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
Hello and help please

Hi Guys, new here and looking for some help with my S022.

I've been enjoying flying it indoors so far with no problems until now, all was fine when I put it on charge but when I came to fly it again it will only take off and then start flying backwards and in a circle .
I have tried both my batteries in it and it does the same, also tried all the trims and the ballance weights are all in tact.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help
Bones126 is offline Find More Posts by Bones126
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:01 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I assume you've been bumping the trims to no avail. Something is 'off', but likely not permanently damaged, unless you also crashed it. I don't think that's likely- mine's been bounced around mercilessly, and still works fine.
Will it fly forward if you move the stick, and does it otherwise respond?

I'd be looking for something possibly dragging the rear rotors, maybe hair wrapped around the shaft?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 06:12 AM
Birmingham UK
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
I assume you've been bumping the trims to no avail. Something is 'off', but likely not permanently damaged, unless you also crashed it. I don't think that's likely- mine's been bounced around mercilessly, and still works fine.
Will it fly forward if you move the stick, and does it otherwise respond?

I'd be looking for something possibly dragging the rear rotors, maybe hair wrapped around the shaft?
HI, thanks for the response.

Yeah, tried all the trims. It does respond to other inputs and fly forward but then looses power so drops to the floor.
I'm about to take it apart and look to see if all is in place and whether as you suggest there is any hair or anything dragging the rotors.

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:27 AM
Birmingham UK
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
OK, Ive had it stripped down and checked what I can. All connections are OK and all motors seem to be working OK too.

Tried it again and it will hover but I have to steer to the right to make it hover without rotating, the trim does not cure this. If I just power up it hovers but rotates anti/counter clockwise very quickly?

Could it be a problem with the TX? Or anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:15 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I'm still thinking it's a mech problem...but I could be wrong.

Do all four rotors rotate freely when turned by hand? It sure sounds like you have one that is slow.

I haven't popped my Big Chinook open yet...is there a chance you have a whole drive assembly cocked to one side?
Are the Prop shafts parallel as you look down the length of the heli?

Some of the earlier Chinooks actually used leaning a whole drive assembly for steering, so I know this could cause the condition you describe.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:49 AM
Birmingham UK
Joined Jun 2010
9 Posts
I'm thinking the same, I'll pop the TX open And check the connections are all ok in there first. If I can't see anyhing wrong in there I'll order a new set of motors.

The blade tips are not inthe best of condition, what would that afect?

Thanks for your help
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:05 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I'd leave the Tx as-is for now, I don't feel there's much chance that's the issue.
Blades can be pretty ragged and still work "OK", as long as all are equally so.

The drives in the Chinooks are located by pins that go into socket location inside the body, and I've seen pics of one knocked out of place.

If you can get into a hover, albeit a bad one, the Tx is probably not the problem. If adjusting the trims has SOME effect, that's all the more true- it's trying to work, it's the heli's ability to follow suit, that is the issue.