Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 22, 2010, 04:26 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Discussion
Syma S022 Big Chinook outdoors

Hi all

Killbuckets earlier 'Big Chinny' thread seems to be closed so I thought I'd post a few pics of mine flying outdoors this morning - was just starting to enjoy it when that damn wind got up...typical!

This heli really looks and sounds the part when it's up high, I was doing big lazy circuits and it looked superb. The beauty of this model is that it has forward/back trim buttons too so a couple of clicks of forward trim had it moving against the slight breeze.

Best to take it slowly though as if you use too much trim the nose tilts down too much and you get blade strikes - very unnerving at that height as it suddenly drops!

I also flew the Alloy Shark (S006) but this simply couldn't handle ANY breeze. Was very stable though and easy to fly but will need total calm to fly at all.

You can all play 'spot the chinny' in the last pic
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2010, 11:45 AM
Joined May 2010
24 Posts
Woah...thats looks awesome. I didnt know that the chinook can fly outside like that. Was there NO wind that day or what?
parth95 is offline Find More Posts by parth95
Old May 22, 2010, 04:39 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
When I started there was no wind at all but then a slight breeze appeared, which was where I needed the forward trim to help penetrate.

I did well to get those few pics as I had to quickly take my right hand off the stick, grab the camera out my pocket and snap away - not easy! Will have to try and get a neighbour to video it for me as it really does look and sound great up there.
Old May 22, 2010, 08:38 PM
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
60 Posts
S022 Charge Time?

I know this doesn't exactly fit the thread, but I just got my S022 a week ago and I absolutely can't get it charged. I got one flight because it came pre-charged, but since then nothing. Have any of you had this problem, and is there a fix? I plug it into the wall and then into the adapter, and the green power light comes on, but when I plug the battery into the adapter nothing happens. The translated instructions seem to say that while charging the red charge light should flash, and then turn solid when fully charged, but the charge light never comes on. Is my adapter broken? I'm chomping at the bit to get airborne again. Appreciate any help.

I'm also new to heli's, so maybe I'm just missing something. This is my 4th.
1. Air Hogs Twin Thunder
2. Syma S008 (Hughes 500)
3. Syma S107 (ordered same time as S022)
4. Syma S022
bechtelfriend is offline Find More Posts by bechtelfriend
Old May 23, 2010, 02:48 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Bechtel

On my charger, it has a red light on the right which always stays lit and a green light on the left which is lit when charging but then goes out after about an hour or so, when the charge is done. Syma seems to have different kinds of box packaging for the same model - maybe they also have different chargers included too.

Check your connections - the white plug on the heli can be a bit stiff and maybe it isn't going in far enough to connect.
Old May 23, 2010, 05:43 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
If you've been continually trying to 'use' the battery, it is likely destroyed now.
A battery of this type typically has an 80% shelf charge. If you ran the battery down fullly before charging it, game over.
You get ONE chance to run a lipo 'dead'.
Unlike the old-school NiCads, you basically keep a lipo topped off, and only use the top 80% or so of the charge capacity.
In other words, the charge it comes with is about 60% usable, at best.
If you run a lipo down all the way, even once, it's done for.

It will act exactly as you describe- charger will never go off.
Have you looked physically AT the battery? Is it puffed like a berry?
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old May 23, 2010, 09:31 AM
Joined Apr 2010
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
Unlike the old-school NiCads, you basically keep a lipo topped off, and only use the top 80% or so of the charge capacity.
Wrong information.

Lipos are not supposed to be stored "topped off"; they're best stored with a 40% charge. And how far you run a lipo down depends on the voltage capacity of the battery, but it's a heck of a lot more than 80% - more closer to 30% of full charge.

The rest is correct; never run a lipo battery dead.
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Old May 23, 2010, 03:28 PM
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
60 Posts
Great. It's probably dead then, although I still think there's something wrong with the charger I got. Redbaron, my charger has a green light on the LEFT, when you're holding it with both lights at the top, and that one stays on when it's plugged into the wall. The other light, on the right, is allegedly red but I've never seen it come on. I have the white connector ("three foot" in the instructions = "three PRONGs") pushed in as far as I think I can get it. I plugged it in right out of the box, but since it didn't look like anything was happening, and since I was so eager to fly it, I decided to try and see if it had any charge, which it did. I got three laps around my living room and I didn't run it all the way down initially, but now after trying to charge it and then trying to fly it several times, the battery is completely dead. The lights will come on and the front rotor will spin, but that's it.

Killbucket, I've looked at the battery several times and it's flat and square, not puffy. I'll take your word for it on never running a LiPo down, although I've been doing that with my S008 since I got it in January, thinking that if it was like my laptop battery I didn't want to give it a "memory." It still works great.

How much should a new battery and maybe a new charger run me? And since I need to buy new ones, can you suggest any upgrades while I'm at it.

Thanks for all the info. Not what I wanted to hear, but at least now I know. :-(
Old May 24, 2010, 12:24 AM
Joined Apr 2010
647 Posts
I've had pretty bad luck with Syma's batteries. I have two mini-Chinooks and both of those had bad batteries right from the start. You can replace the batteries, but I think most of the Symas require them soldered in.
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
Old May 28, 2010, 02:11 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
I've had pretty bad luck with Syma's batteries. I have two mini-Chinooks and both of those had bad batteries right from the start. You can replace the batteries, but I think most of the Symas require them soldered in.
You may wanna look at my s026 mods thread, it shows alot of their insides, 2 of my 4 mini chinny need new lipo, I took a gamble and ordered 2 X 420mAh cells, I'll fit them an post it there.

It's ALIVE, IT'S ALLLIIIVVE!!!!!as some of you who have been to the end of the closed s022 thread will know my s022 lost a rear blade in it's 2nd crash, not it biggest but the it needed new rear lower blade grip this time.

I got it back up and running today, Popped into my RED5 and a very sound member of staff (it's prob best for that member to remain nameless) gave me a s006 outer shaft with lower blade grip...

It looked about the same size, got home and it wasn't (my rear lower blade diamiter is now about 2cm larger), but I tried it on anyways, It was not as snug a fit as the grip made for the s022 but it went on ok, screwed in just fine and it took off.

Can't really tell if it's a complete success untill it's fully charged and the wind is a little less.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old May 28, 2010, 09:25 PM
Denver, CO
Joined May 2010
60 Posts
So I contacted the vendor toptoyexpress.com and got an immediate reply asking for pics of my charger and all the connections. They are now sending me a replacement charger and adapter - and I requested a charger that will directly fit into a US wall outlet so I don't have to use a converter. We'll see if the new charger/adapter will actually work, but I've been impressed with their service so far, and the prices were low although shipping was high from Hong Kong. I got the S022 and an S107 for $86 incl. shipping. The 107 was only $20.
Old May 28, 2010, 09:52 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bechtelfriend View Post

...I got the S022 and an S107 for $86 incl. shipping. The 107 was only $20.
Shipping is normaly high if it's eBay, I just had a look at that site.....
wish I had not I just seen thhis lil fella!
http://www.toptoyexpress.com/remote-...pter-gyro.html

Specification:

* Length: 120mm
* Width: 25mm
* Height: 65m
* Weight: 16g ONLY
* Main rotor diameter: 110mm
* Transmitter requires 6 x AA dry cells (not included)

I so want one!

I had a charging problem with my s022, red would come on when plugged into the heli, even when not plugged into the wall (I think this is normal), problem was the green "charging" light would come on when it had mains power but it never seamed to turn off, I saw it go off once, but it came back on a few seconds later, RED5 swapped the adaptor and charging bloack for new and swapped my lipo with the shop demo model.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Last edited by djdavies83; Jun 10, 2010 at 02:52 AM. Reason: had charging light colours inverted
Old May 29, 2010, 11:46 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Just took mine out for an early, dead-of-morning flight. I really, really like this item. After reading threads about tandems (mostly comprised of sad-crash and quick-fix data), I could excuse somebody for being a bit timid to buy Syma's low-cost alternatives, be it the S022 here, or the equally-good S026 mini.

I keep expecting carnage, and it just bounces and waits for me to right it again for another go.

I ordered a second body, and it's very likely that I will never need it. As much as I like my dry-brush paint on mine, I may re-do it in a sinister Black Ops motif soon.

That would give me a good reason to peruse the gutz of it first-hand.
And make the battery dock bigger, tee-hee.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:22 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Well mine dropped from quite high up onto the grass after a blade strike with no damage at all - that flexible plastic it's made from is certainly working well.

Imagine what an even bigger 'S031' sized version would be like
Old May 29, 2010, 06:44 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Dang, that question made my socks move up and down.

Syma, get ON this.

Nevermind, I'll Hack-N-Slash my two defunct S031's myself!

EDIT:
I hate you...I hate you,...I hate you....*
What a sweet, sweet, idea!

*I am going to lose sleep, and possibly fingers, thank you.
Last edited by killbucket; May 29, 2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Off, to drive around Hackenslash City.