Old May 21, 2010, 11:15 AM
w6fg
Morro Bay, CA
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Discussion
This HZ Champ is a Blast!

Hey All,

Just wanted to say how happy I am with my HobbyZone Champ! I first picked up a Playmate, looking for something smaller than the EZStar to fly in the local parks. But after accidentally mashing the sticks on the Playmate xmitter, bending the prop shaft, making several attempts to secure the prop to the shaft, and seeing how fragile the Playmate is, I decided to try the Champ.

It looks, to my untrained eye, about the same as the champ... at least in size and construction. But the Champ has proven to be much more durable, and therefore more fun! Not only is the xmitter better built than the Playmate's transmitter, but the plane itself seems to be stronger AND easier to fly. It's just been a kick to fly right out of the box and I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a relaxing, easy to fly, park flier!
radiocycle is offline Find More Posts by radiocycle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2010, 12:19 PM
Joined Jul 2009
77 Posts
not to mention, you can fly the champ with ANY DSM2 compatible transmitter... meaning any transmitter with a spektrum DSM2 module in it, any spektrum or JR 2.4Ghz transmitter, etc. so you are not limited to the included RTF transmitter when you get more planes.

you CAN fly the champ with a DX5e also, but it has no model memories, so i would not recommend it, as you will soon want to get another plane, such as the UM P-51, which will ALSO work on any spektrum compatible transmitter/module system.
avirnig is offline Find More Posts by avirnig
Old May 21, 2010, 02:18 PM
w6fg
Morro Bay, CA
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avirnig View Post
not to mention, you can fly the champ with ANY DSM2 compatible transmitter... meaning any transmitter with a spektrum DSM2 module in it, any spektrum or JR 2.4Ghz transmitter, etc. so you are not limited to the included RTF transmitter when you get more planes.

you CAN fly the champ with a DX5e also, but it has no model memories, so i would not recommend it, as you will soon want to get another plane, such as the UM P-51, which will ALSO work on any spektrum compatible transmitter/module system.
Ah, thanks for the info avirnig! I wasn't aware, as I haven't been keeping up, of this kind of technology. I hve a Futaba T9CAP but I think I might try and unload it and go for something with DSM2. What do you think of the Spektrum DX6i? It looks pretty cool from the product description...
Old May 21, 2010, 02:38 PM
Harford Co, MD
Joined May 2010
23 Posts
I just bought a champ yesterday, and flew it today for the first time flying in 6 years...it flew great! wish it came with 5 battery packs though
rickyfB is offline Find More Posts by rickyfB
Old May 21, 2010, 03:59 PM
AMA #953123
Eugene, ORYGUN
Joined Mar 2009
2,203 Posts
I have a DX6i and its a great radio.
VROOMSTER is offline Find More Posts by VROOMSTER
Old May 21, 2010, 04:09 PM
w6fg
Morro Bay, CA
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VROOMSTER View Post
I have a DX6i and its a great radio.
Tnx VROOMSTER, think I'm goin' for one of those. The LHS has 'em stock.

radio
Old May 21, 2010, 04:19 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,135 Posts
Dx6i is a nice radio. You can usually find one in the classified in good shape for ~$100.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old May 22, 2010, 01:25 PM
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
Lewes, DE
Joined Mar 2010
284 Posts
Radiocycle

I did the same thing as you and bought the playmate (for me it was my first plane) but have had nothing but problems with the prop/prop shaft/gearbox. So after reading so many good things about the Champ I finally gave in and ordered it yesterday. I have heard it handles wind better and is a little more durable. Cant wait to get it and fly it!

-Drew
drewwrx is offline Find More Posts by drewwrx
Old May 22, 2010, 02:08 PM
w6fg
Morro Bay, CA
Joined Mar 2005
103 Posts
Yeah, good luck Drew! I think you'll get a kick out of the Champ. You're more likely to damage it carrying it around and pulling it in and out of the box than flying it. Just use the box for your handy carrying case and it should last even through some 'tough landings'. Also the transmitter is sturdier so that was another plus. Let us know how your maiden voyage goes....

radio
Old May 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Harford Co, MD
Joined May 2010
23 Posts
I had the champ out yesterday in winds 5-10 knots, and if its around 5 its def possible to fly but at 10 it was nerve racking and i had alot of trouble keeping it level. at one point I cut the throttle and the plane just started coming straight down while remaining level (cool site to see!) My point is, the plane has plenty of power for some light winds but I much prefer it in super calm conditions. Good luck with your champ, and since this is the newbie area, One more thing which is probably common knowledge to all you seasoned pilots out there, when you take it out of the box and you notice the prop and shaft are facing down and right, THIS IS NORMAL, thankfully I didnt try and force it straight, but at first I thought it was defective. Happy flying!
rickyfB is offline Find More Posts by rickyfB
Old May 24, 2010, 11:06 AM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
Dx6i is a great radio, the DSM2 technology is hard to beat, and these little micro flyers are like potato chips; you just gotta have more!
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
Old May 25, 2010, 07:59 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,729 Posts
So I'm debating between the Champ and the Playmate.

What do the judges say?
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old May 25, 2010, 08:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy Steve View Post
So I'm debating between the Champ and the Playmate.

What do the judges say?
I bought a Playmate while waiting on the Champ preorder. Great little plane. Both fly well but the Champ can take more wind. Also, the Champ transmitter can be bound to other BNF planes. Champ just seems a bit more sturdy IMO. Buy both, but get the Champ first.

Brian
BrianSch is offline Find More Posts by BrianSch
Old May 25, 2010, 09:49 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,729 Posts
I LIKE the idea of better wind tolerance, and certainly a more sturdy plane can only help w/ the unexpected.

Sounds like the CHAMP is the winner so far....
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old May 25, 2010, 10:24 AM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
Guys, if you're on the fence on this one, c'mon over and read the Champ thread.

This plane has absolutely no, zero, nada issues right outa the box. An outstanding choice for a beginner. No one yet has expressed any regret with their purchase. I think this plane will turn out to be a huge boost to the hobby. It'll get more first timers to give it a try, and because it's SO stable, and has excess thrust to get out of trouble, they'll be sucsessful and stick around.

As far as wind, up to about 10 mph, it's actually enjoyable to play the breeze, instead of fighting to keep it in the sky.

It gussys up raht nice, too.
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump