HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 21, 2010, 08:37 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
Yippee!
Found this steam boat at a swap meet

I found this boat at a swap meet for full size vintage boats. I'm not a steam guy and am considering removing the steam power plant and converting it to electric. My question is will I destroy the value of the boat by doing so? It appears to have never been fired. I posted this on dock talk and tried to have it moved but must have done it wrong. It has a Wilesco D48 butane fired reversible engine with whistle.
Robert Pulse is online now Find More Posts by Robert Pulse
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2010, 10:22 AM
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2007
946 Posts
Yippee! Found this steam boat at a swap meet

It would be a shame to alter it's originality.
It is worth more just as is.
Regards,
John
jaguar75 is offline Find More Posts by jaguar75
Old May 21, 2010, 10:59 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Well, there's a lot to be said for original design and build.

That is a horizontal engine in there, which (from what I've seen) is ususual in a non-paddlewheeler, at least on the hobby side of things.

So, if you want to stay with the original, that's probably a great idea. If you want to change things out, that setup would be very nice in a paddlewheeler. I'd probably keep the boat steam based though and put a more standard style engine in it. Nick's new Cirrus motor ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235148 ) would be beautiful in that boat, or you could use lower cost PM Research double ocillator if you want to build the engine yourself and get some experience with that.

Going electric on that boat would be easy, but probably lose a great deal of its charm and possibly value on it. Leaving it as it is, and learning to fire it up and care for it would be the overall easiest thing to do.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old May 22, 2010, 12:06 AM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Nice find!!

She is nice-- I love steam but now she is yours..have fun deciding to do. Whatever pleases you and what will get her and you out to the pond is a good choice!!
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old May 25, 2010, 09:57 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
I put it on e-bay before I take it apart
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140410622712
Old May 25, 2010, 10:43 PM
Z0Z
Jack of the Dust
47.46N 122.11W +282 Seattle
Joined May 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Pulse View Post
I put it on e-bay before I take it apart
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140410622712
Thanks but no thanks. Almost sounds like you wanted to do this all along. I hope you were not using our expertise in this forum to increase the value of your sell, not that I have any to offer, I'm just green belt.

Good luck with the sale!

Gary
Z0Z is offline Find More Posts by Z0Z
Old May 26, 2010, 07:39 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,648 Posts
Can't see how any of the answers given have hinted on how to "INCREASE" the value of the sell?? Since he wanted to take the steam plant out of HIS boat and fit electric, perhaps he would have a better "Rip off" value by selling the steamplant separately ??

OH yes Robert, if you do go down that road, don't forget to add the word "Vintage" in front of the plant. Surprising how many "Vintage" items appear on the illustrious Flee.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old May 26, 2010, 08:10 AM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
I didn't list it as vintage as it is a current model steam engine still being sold. As for increasing the value of the boat, that too was not my intention. I just wanted to know if anyone recognized the boat. I put it on e-bay to give someone that wanted have the boat and wanted to keep the steam boat complete and original the opportunity to do so. Personally I hope it doesn't sell. It would make a great electric boat to add details too and run.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:23 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
It's not a bad price for the rig, assuming it is all in working order and without up close shots, it's hard to tell if the model itself is worth it. That almost takes an in person inspection. Again, I wouldn't leave that motor in it but would probably put an 8M engine it in with a simple boiler.

Not a bad starting deal Robert. Will have to see how the price goes...
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old May 26, 2010, 06:51 PM
Davenport, Iowa
Joined Apr 2007
1,408 Posts
I started it at what it cost me. The guy selling it had 8 or 10 boats for sale and I only had enough money for one. He had a nicely done american scout but it was filthy. He wanted $300.00 for it and I almost bought it instead, but it wasn't sealed inside. He also had several (vintage) boats from the 20's Clockwork I think.
The only other one I was intrested in had an old sea fury gas outboard shaped sorta like a peapod only with a cabin. sorry I dont know how else to describe it. If I would have had the money I would have bought the lot for the right price and figured out what to do with them later saving him three days of people going oooh- aaahhhh Mommy can I have it LOL. The guys in the club thought he left with most of them. It sorta brings to mind a place in Leclaire Iowa that had this great old rc fishing boat for sale but wanted $800.00 for it. I must have drooled for months about it. It was very cool and had kraft servos and reciever in it but no tx. The store closed so I have no clue where it went. Leclaire is the home of the tv show the pickers btw.
Bob