HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:05 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
A more robust helicopter???

I'm reading the posts while assembling two projects 9053 is one I'm wondering about new motors in the new variant. I'm at the point where I'm leaning toward looking closer at bearing less maybe? what do you think??
Kmax is offline Find More Posts by Kmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:03 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKODS View Post
I believe I have found another solution to better forward flight. I am using a 2S1P1600 lipo with 1/2oz nose weight plus I put a slight crimp in the boom to give it forward angle. Then I got a 5 x 4.5 thin electric prop and put the smallest reducer in the hole. I then got a servo mounting screw which is just the right length to go through both props and into the gear mount. This may eventually overtax the tail motor be we shall see. Forgot that I also had to move the vertical fin forward a bit.
That's a very cool idea! But right now I only use the tail rotor for minor adjustments and let the heavier front keep me moving forward. Even with a slight sigh of wind the current tail motor just can't seem to do much at all. Maybe replacing the tail prop altogether would not be a bad idea. Can't wait to hear how your mod flies
tacoballz is offline Find More Posts by tacoballz
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:16 AM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
892 Posts
Foward flight with no wind is very good now. In a slight breeze you can at least turn into it and hold rather than being blown backwords. I remeber the first time my son tried it we couldn't believe that once it was 12ft up that we couldn't get it back. Now it is much more enjoyable. So much so that I just ordered an HK500CMT!!!!!! Last time he bought something it was the Slash 4 x 4 and I had to get one of those to........damn kids!
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:27 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Quote:
Foward flight with no wind is very good now. In a slight breeze you can at least turn into it and hold rather than being blown backwords. I remeber the first time my son tried it we couldn't believe that once it was 12ft up that we couldn't get it back. Now it is much more enjoyable. So much so that I just ordered an HK500CMT!!!!!! Last time he bought something it was the Slash 4 x 4 and I had to get one of those to........damn kids!
I'm still new to the Heli hobby, is the HK500CMT a motor / prop /or another RC heli?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:53 PM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
892 Posts
Not to stray off this forum but it is a heli http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14862
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:25 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Not to stray off this forum but it is a heli http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=14862
Hi Makods,
Considering the main topic of this thread is 9053 and many of the threads original writers have stepped out, and even the mention of 9053 elsewhere is taboo. I don't think showing another heli is too off topic The two main guys making mods are inhancing the 9053 to their liking and moving on to another helicopter is natural I'm rather a subdued heli pilot only one of my heli's is 3D capable but I'm into Arial ballet "another type of flying"

I'm also into building kits and mods where the "Crap" heli usually becomes more than a handful.We all have to do bench work now and again so at the bottom is a tool to help.... The photos of the kit below is my next heli which is very old school but has colletive and 3D posibilities. As our weather out here in the north is bad right now the 9051 is comming out of the box and going to be used. Ask anyone around RCgroups and they won't give 9053 much of a comment. Just between you and me I think the majority of posts are a farce with "no" real basis other than to stear a new heli pilot into a bad experience!!!! I hope everyones flights are positive...........
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 25, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:05 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,201 Posts
i dont know about the hk 500, i have the exi 500 plastic version. the only thing i changed on mine was the plastic tail to the hk500 metal tail . the new hk500 looks nice and the tt version looks really neat i would try it if i didnt have 3 already ..
back to the volitation, i did a nice tail mod and i have to say it works great , i cant wait to get it outside to try it in the wind, its way too fast even on slow in the house
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Last edited by jombo; Dec 20, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:02 AM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Jombo, you so crazy! That is some massive wingspan for that tail rotor, LOL!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:19 AM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
i dont know about the hk 500, i have the exi 500 plastic version. the only thing i changed on mine was the plastic tail to the hk500 metal tail . the new hk500 looks nice and the tt version looks really neat i would try it if i didnt have 3 already ..
back to the volitation, i did a nice tail mod and i have to say it works great , i cant wait to get it outside to try it in the wind, its way too fast even on slow in the house
Jombo,
What is the little guy in the photos? Seems like I've seen that nose on the Ozone3 is that an old syma 001? And I'm pretty sure your making some great differences in the 9053. What kind of machine are you looking at for Xmas?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:21 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,201 Posts
tacoballz
its the lower half blades of the s002 from xheli , the heli is 24.00 and all you need is the lower blades or you can get the replacement parts . you need to cut them down about an inch and it will work great, the other thing is you will need a longer screw . it flyes really good now and at full throttle at slow tilts it alot , on fast it tilts it between 45 to 60 degrees and if you go full throttle on fast in one shot the blades will smack into each other and you will have a crash , same goes for a fast turn . got the battery charging now and going to check it out outside in a little breeze .
christmas lol, got too many toys now as my wife points that out to me every day !
as for projects i have a HK250 GT about to finish and a V1 HK450 getting metal head and tail upgrades, then when those 2 are done i have the exi 450 pro and hk 450 pro to start . i want to see the flying differences between the 2 are , so far for the extra 15.00 the exi 450 pro looks closer to the align pro than the hk . then i will finish the 500's but i have been saying that for almost a year
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:47 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
OEM Blades

As I read back through the 9053 discussion I didn't see much about the condition of the blades where the flybar hits. Since I wanna keep mine flying for afew years "10" We know knicks occur when this happens. I haven't really read about anyone breaking a blade. Since I've been hording parts and Xheli got their blades in I must say that they are the same weight thickness and feel strong.I've tested the pc boards and Syma is consistant in that respect

I did notice that the bottom gear is out of stock,so that may indicate either dumb thumb or some serious crashes. The blade holders are holding up after 3 weeks since I got 9053 but have enough to relax on those parts top and bottom. Going to order pillar kits and two new sets of frames though I think you have to drop this toy from a 100 feet to bend it "the frame". All the new screws are from a 4x4 Tamyia spare stock as the original seem to strip too easy. The overall disassembly of the 9053 is easy if you keep your bench tidy and organized. New shells are out of stock.
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 26, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:32 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
KMax: I have some serious nicks in my blades but thank goodness they haven't broke (yet). My blades came very loose out of the box. I'm not sure if that has helped reduce blade breakages or if I need to tighten them up a little bit.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:55 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoballz View Post
KMax: I have some serious nicks in my blades but thank goodness they haven't broke (yet). My blades came very loose out of the box. I'm not sure if that has helped reduce blade breakages or if I need to tighten them up a little bit.
Sure by all means Taco do tighten your blade holders. I have those same ruts in the middle of mine as well. As you know if one gets into trouble with their coaxial they should always "Get off that throttle" You know as well as I do that's the one cause of tooth decay in many RC helicopters. My Venom Ozone3 use to break blades because of blade strikes because of how loose they were. You got any secrets Taco for 9053 students?

There are lot's of ways the newbie can safe guard their toy such as : Payout that antenna wrapper around the skid legs. Indoors one can fly an intire basketball court with no problems. Again batteries have to be the number ONE cause of failure out of the box! I'm still using the OEM packs as I bought them at the same time as the 9053. I use "labelle 102" Gear oil to freshin up twice in three weeks. No WD-40 causes tooth decay!!! Make sure things are tight. Check the models balance out of the box as the pack could be out of position.

How I check balance is with a straight 6 inch piece of coat hanger, I bend each end in my vice then I bend the hanger in the center. The end bends should facing outward now you have a way to balance the model and hang it out of your way.

The charger with this kit has a box that is plugged into the heli then plugged into the wall. I unplug the power into the toy and charge the pack until the green light shines brightly. One hour and 45 minutes.. 8 minute flights heli will crash if you don't watch your time!!! These were in my learning experiences since 1982....
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 26, 2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:34 AM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Rule #1: Don't ever buy a RC copter from a Mall vendor, no matter how cool it is and how much you want one. (300% markup anyone?) Buy online!

Rule #2: Don't show off to friends! Even if you are being careful, Murphy's law goes into effect and some gust/dog/table/garbage can will appear out of nowhere and cause you to crash.

Rule #3: Invest in a good mini screwdriver set. After just my first couple flights, I was taking apart the tail motor because it was not responding. Apparently a rough touchdown (see Page 4) caused the rotor to separate from the motor housing and was not making contact. Careful disassembly and reassembly solved the problem and made me feel awesome. But I couldn't do it without a good screwdriver kit.

Rule #4: The uglier the helicopter looks, the better it flies (probably). The 9053 looks really really cool. (based on Internet reviews, I feel like I got the Yugo of large 3ch helis. BUT I still enjoy the hell out of it!)

Rule #5: Buy spare batteries and parts! (Maybe should be part of Rule #3)
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:00 AM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoballz View Post
Rule #1: Don't ever buy a RC copter from a Mall vendor, no matter how cool it is and how much you want one. (300% markup anyone?) Buy online!

Rule #2: Don't show off to friends! Even if you are being careful, Murphy's law goes into effect and some gust/dog/table/garbage can will appear out of nowhere and cause you to crash.

Rule #3: Invest in a good mini screwdriver set. After just my first couple flights, I was taking apart the tail motor because it was not responding. Apparently a rough touchdown (see Page 4) caused the rotor to separate from the motor housing and was not making contact. Careful disassembly and reassembly solved the problem and made me feel awesome. But I couldn't do it without a good screwdriver kit.

Rule #4: The uglier the helicopter looks, the better it flies (probably). The 9053 looks really really cool. (based on Internet reviews, I feel like I got the Yugo of large 3ch helis. BUT I still enjoy the hell out of it!)

Rule #5: Buy spare batteries and parts! (Maybe should be part of Rule #3)
Yeah Taco,
The mall dude has "NO" vested intrest in anyones future in RC helicopters. Taco 9053 is as good as the big lama and my CX-2 but because it's such a large toy it's hard to figure out because of how the instructions read. I don't like to fly in front of too many people as wreckless thoughts are always a part of owning something others don't. Anymore I don't realize people are watching it's just me and the helicopter. It's too bad the search querries don't really bring guys to this thread as so many 9053's are getting beat to death because of the lack of seeing what Taco and Smokes have done to inhance the toy. As I said I'm three weeks into this heli and it's like she came out of the box lastnight.

I don't always fly 9053 because of other hobbies but one should always surge the battery once a week.