HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:08 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,135 Posts
here is the modified tail tube , now i have another problem , the upper blades are spinning in the plastic . i fixed that tonight by drilling a hole through the metal and plastic and putting a screw through it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiPlpTUBSiE
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
mine flys forward faster now since i cut the tail boom to ballance the heli. it lifts off level , no more holding the forward trim to keep it level. i also added a rino 1020 lipo to it and now my flight times are even longer . i could probably get away with a 1200 lipo up there ,one day i will give it a shot .the best part of this heli is i can throw a 450 class fusalage on it and it will fly like a scale heli . you would need to loose the tail boom of course and mount the tail fan somewhere in the back but anything can be fixed with 2 part epoxy
Hi Jombo,
sounds like you found a battery that pitches the nose down enough to move forward.Does the tail still stop you? Does the tail rotor still slow the heli down? Let us know if your heating is different with the new battery cause there are heat fins that would help.
Kmax is offline Find More Posts by Kmax
Old Oct 21, 2010, 10:55 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,135 Posts
the battery thats in this one is the hobbypartz blue lipo 800 milliamp battery 20c . its alot lighter than the stock battery . the one with the rino battery is waiting on upper blades , i think i orderd the last set from xheli the other day lol . the heli still acts the same as it did with the stock battery so there is no change there , the only thing i need to do now is make some tail supports because the stock ones now are too long. i was so use to using it in fast flight because i always needed to keep the heli level , now fast is too fast inside in the small space .
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:49 AM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokes View Post
Hey Taco, how do you mount your nano? How about a few photos. I have one of the Gen5 nanos too but there's no way I'd send it up on a chopper.
LOL, okay back on page 4 of this thread I posted some stills from the video I first took. Well, I mounted the ipod nano with some duct tape and I only intended to hover around 5 or 6 ft just to see how the weight would affect the flight, however it worked out so well that I kept going... until the tape vibrated loose.

Helicopter Adventures (0 min 49 sec)
tacoballz is offline Find More Posts by tacoballz
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:54 AM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Not Bad for a "whad they say" Cheap toy heli ???

JomboAwsome skills!! That's the 3rd decent demo besides my own flites that show how well this "Toy" flies. Great responce in slow geeze if you ever get it in a Gymnaisum You'll have a blasTTT. Are you going to shorten the original tailboom struts? Are you going to HORD parts to keep you heli's run long long time? You've shown that 9053 a step above what some are saying about her. But even more so you've shown how you can get great results without butchering the thing. Thanks for that great snip it!!!!

Off topic.
How do you put subtitles in your vedio? Do you think she's just as fun a the tiny S-107? Damn that was Great
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:02 AM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Taco,
Try some 2 inch Velcro it may work for you. Hmm 9053 as a spy could get some neighbors in trouble....
Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:35 AM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmax View Post
Taco,
Try some 2 inch Velcro it may work for you. Hmm 9053 as a spy could get some neighbors in trouble....
I have some ideas for better mounting in the future. I have plenty of velcro as well. It's a public street, nuthin they can do about it... or so I heard on CSI or something like that
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:27 AM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoballz View Post
Well, I mounted the ipod nano with some duct tape and I only intended to hover around 5 or 6 ft just to see how the weight would affect the flight, however it worked out so well that I kept going... until the tape vibrated loose.
Love it! Ouch! I was waiting for that but it was still a surprise when it happened. Pity there's nowhere to mount a safety line on the iPod. Maybe a rubber band will do next time. Send it to Apple to show how robust the iPods are. (Then claim it under warranty ha ha yeah right)
What I did with my camera was tie a bit of string to the loop, then a clip on the other end clips onto a convenient part of the metalwork. If it falls off, (and it did when I dropped it onto the roof) then at least it stays attached to the heli.

That thing glued on the back of the camera is a quick release from a cheap tripod.

BTW loved the crop circles in the middle of the road there.
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:43 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,135 Posts
Kmax , at this point i have some CF 250 which may be the right size, or i may make some out of wood dowels. right now all those extra parts on the tail do nothing but add weight . if i had the rino battery in this one i would put them on since that battery is heavier. the other thing i found is the plastic canopy is alot heavier than a fiberglass 450 canopy.

tacoballz , that stinks ! hope the nanno wasent too damaged . i guess putting my iphone would be a big no no. i saw they sell a keychain camera , i may pick one up since its 30.00 bucks.
i can only fly mine outside in the morning which right now is 50 degreese or at night sometimes , the wind mocks me . everytime during the day i see its calm i pull the heli out for a flight and the wind starts to blow
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:27 AM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Smokes: great idea! LOL yeah, those are our utilities, never noticed that pattern before! I guess when you see something everyday it becomes ordinary.

Jombo: Luckily I had that ipod acrylic case on it. It took most of the impact however the ipod is a bit dented in the corner.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 01:16 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Great helicopter.

Well I don't think any more proof is needed to ease the minds of future 9053 volitation buyers. Just take it easy out of the box would be a fair statement wouldn't it guys.? I have a Century Hummingbird to build this weekend and that will be my next heli to master. Has colective and gyro 4 channel I'll post photos and such as we go along. Great show guys. This is a heli I got in the 80's and think I can work with. Not to get too far off topic.
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 22, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:59 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Here is some short clips of me re-testing the ipod nano as an onboard camera. External video was taken with a flip-cam.
flipcam heli1 (0 min 52 sec)

Volitation 9053 heli buzzing around my garage (1 min 57 sec)

On board video is kinda boring, my dog gets in some shots however. I think my ipod nano microphone did not survive the previous impact!
on board camera (2 min 40 sec)
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:18 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,135 Posts
here is the 2 i have , the 3rd is still in the box (gonna give it to my nefew for a birthday present) . did'nt cut too much off the tail to ballance it off and the new battery life works out great. gonna try a bigger lipo maybe a 1500 or 1800 and see if it will ballance it out even more without cutting the tail or removing some of the parts on the tail .
Last edited by jombo; Dec 20, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 08:23 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,135 Posts
i dont know if anyone else has the tail move on them but i pinned the tail . i just got a tiny screw anl drilled a hole in the plastic throught the metal and screwed it down , did the same to the upper blades but put 2 screws on either side to hold it.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:36 PM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
887 Posts
I believe I have found another solution to better forward flight. I am using a 2S1P1600 lipo with 1/2oz nose weight plus I put a slight crimp in the boom to give it forward angle. Then I got a 5 x 4.5 thin electric prop and put the smallest reducer in the hole. I then got a servo mounting screw which is just the right length to go through both props and into the gear mount. This may eventually overtax the tail motor be we shall see. Forgot that I also had to move the vertical fin forward a bit.
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS