SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:55 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
I stop in here to see what's going on occasionally, but I don't have one. It LOOKS like a really nice heli, but it would be a lot better if it shared technology with the 4 channel heli's. In one of the pictures, the frequency is something I have never heard of before. See, it's not compatible with other heli's. Anyway, a shorter flybar is to get rid of porpoising. It's the phenomena you get when flying forward and the heli stops and levels off before continuing on again. It does it about every 10 feet or so and is very annoying. On a Lama 4 or CX2, the stock flybar length is about 8". A shortened flybar can be anywhere from 4 1/2" up to 6 3/4". It DOES make a difference.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:40 AM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
889 Posts
The forward flight on this is bad. Has anyone done any mods to the tail such as larger prop or perhaps changing the angle some how?
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS
Old Oct 17, 2010, 02:17 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I stop in here to see what's going on occasionally, but I don't have one. It LOOKS like a really nice heli, but it would be a lot better if it shared technology with the 4 channel heli's. In one of the pictures, the frequency is something I have never heard of before. See, it's not compatible with other heli's. Anyway, a shorter flybar is to get rid of porpoising. It's the phenomena you get when flying forward and the heli stops and levels off before continuing on again. It does it about every 10 feet or so and is very annoying. On a Lama 4 or CX2, the stock flybar length is about 8". A shortened flybar can be anywhere from 4 1/2" up to 6 3/4". It DOES make a difference.
Hi Kodak,
I've had mine two weeks today and she's alomst like putting a bridal on a drunk to some who have it. It shouldn't be flown outside and the radio eats batteries. I think it flies as well for me as my CX-2. But it's still a Coaxial built for fun not 3D. "Play Times" are good on this RC at 12 min. I will study it's lifting capabilities over the winter. Parts are available and indicate minor crashes as per Xheli.com.

Many of the guys in this thread seem to be patient with it or atleast ones who are giving it a benefit of a doubt. It is big and looks good hanging up when not in use. Smokes did the mod as an answer to flybar strikes causing the Volitation to crash. The gyro works well indoors forget outdoors. All in all only time will tell where this toy ends up. As for me I like it. Great Fun!!!!!
Kmax is offline Find More Posts by Kmax
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 18, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:17 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKODS View Post
The forward flight on this is bad. Has anyone done any mods to the tail such as larger prop or perhaps changing the angle some how?
Funny 'bout that. I made up a larger tail rotor a while back but it made the chopper more likely to have blade strikes. When I shortened the flybar I figured it was time to refit the modded tail rotor to see what happened.
It certainly makes a difference, gets a bit of extra thrust especially when the switch is on 'quick' but still not enough to make it really perform. Don't try it without the shortened flybar folks, it tilts the chopper even more than normal.

I just used a bit of rigid clear plastic sheet stuck to the rotor with sticky tape so from a distance it looks normal and can be removed easily. It needs to be trimmed around the hub to clear the gearbox. I'm sure it could be made a bit larger but watch the clearance.
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:48 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Volitation comments.. How to fly it!

Name: 4.jpg
Views: 261
Size: 37.8 KB
Description: Before you fly is a good time to set your trims to make sure your close. There is a switch in the top left corner on the radio that "you bet your A$$ works"! It governs the rotorspeed please turn it to "Slow" The trim setting to your top right the dial should be full left. Your left trim for throttle is full down. The right which is the control has several axis and does work as well This has two places to set the trim. Vert and horizontal

My left control trim is set in the vertical to center,the horizontal is set to full right . That gives you the baseline to spool up and get into a stable hover. Since this radio shows you the power setting in LED it seems easier rest your thum to make corrections on the right to drift. F or R it is a nice heli to watch fly Caution: make these adjustments prior to turning the RC on . Remember to always TURN ON THE RADIO" THEN THE HELI". Make sure the throttle is full down!!! The lights on the PC board show red and blue but I haven't really understood their perpose yet. All other trim settings can be adjusted in flite ever so slitely. With this chopper controls are) less is more in fast mode and much more controlable in Low mode.... I'm pretty much talking to anyone struggling with the Volitation helicopter or even the new guy who just got it. The users manual is not easy to understand because of translation from "Manderin Chinese" to American. I bought it because it's a cool heli and like a challange. Let me know if my trim setting work for you. Remember "Slow" mode until you learn these controls

By the way I've had this heli for 2 weeks and for $75.00 bucks it's a HOOT! Enough parts to build two others "kind of a given" Even my CX-2 has it's parts stock. Next time I want to chat about the screws they use in the Volitation that strip easily.... Also replacing the flybar control linkage to an adjustable link. It keeps the blade travel on the flybar more shallow holding my heli in a better hover than original. Seems to work quite well

I know this all seems a bit long winded,but one becomes an expert in any heli you buy. You become the pilot and mechanic. The linkage was inspired by the flybar problems the Volitation has and if you break a ball top or bottom it can be turned over and re connected. Since my rotor head was still usable I just took my pinvice drilled a tiny hole and fitted two new balls to match the link it's like 2 mills longer than the OEM link.

The pack takes exactly 1hour and 40 minutes to completely charge. The radios batteries need to be changed every two weeks or sooner as per usage.
There is plenty more to discuss but I figure You'll want to try things on your own. I cant stress enough to get those bags of odd parts because you do break parts in this hobby. Syma or ???? you need them parts.
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 17, 2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmax View Post
Hi Kodak,
I've had mine two weeks today and she's alomst like putting a bridal on a drunk to some who have it. It shouldn't be flown outside and the radio eats batteries. I think it flies as well for me as my CX-2. But it's still a Coaxial built for fun not 3D. "Play Times" are good on this RC at 12 min. I will study it's lifting capabilities over the winter. Parts are available and indicate minor crashes as per Xheli.com.

Many of the guys in this thread seem to be patient with it or atleast ones who are giving it a benefit of a doubt. It is big and looks good hanging up when not in use. Smokes did the mod as an answer to flybar strikes causing the Volitation to crash. The gyro works well indoors forget outdoors. All in all only time will tell where this toy ends up. As for me I like it. Great Fun!!!!!
The larger the heli, the less adaptabe it is for indoor use. I have a CX2 and a Lama 4 and that is about as big as I dare to even hover in the house, let alone try to "fly" inside.
The motor on the tail is for looks only. Stability comes from having counter-rotating blades. Forward flight and the tail BS aren't related. Take the tail motor and rotor off and it'll fly just fine.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 18, 2010, 02:22 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The larger the heli, the less adaptabe it is for indoor use. I have a CX2 and a Lama 4 and that is about as big as I dare to even hover in the house, let alone try to "fly" inside.
The motor on the tail is for looks only. Stability comes from having counter-rotating blades. Forward flight and the tail BS aren't related. Take the tail motor and rotor off and it'll fly just fine.
Hello Kodak,
We fly indoors in a gymnasium with plenty of room. Let us know how you fare on the omittion of the tail rotor from the lama Have you been able to try any of the trim settings on your lama? Got any ideas on how to make a lama rotorhead fit the volitation?
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 18, 2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:36 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokes View Post
Funny 'bout that. I made up a larger tail rotor a while back but it made the chopper more likely to have blade strikes. When I shortened the flybar I figured it was time to refit the modded tail rotor to see what happened.
It certainly makes a difference, gets a bit of extra thrust especially when the switch is on 'quick' but still not enough to make it really perform. Don't try it without the shortened flybar folks, it tilts the chopper even more than normal.

I just used a bit of rigid clear plastic sheet stuck to the rotor with sticky tape so from a distance it looks normal and can be removed easily. It needs to be trimmed around the hub to clear the gearbox. I'm sure it could be made a bit larger but watch the clearance.
Smokes,
Seems like you've got a genuine intrest in making this tantrum of a helicopter fly better. I imagine its summer where you are across the IDT. I'm confident I have enough parts now to keep her flying for awhile. Even the chasis parts from Xheli were cheap enough. I have to drop in to the LHS today to order screws as the factory ones are to soft for a sharp screw driver where they were placed such as where the canopy is connected. Great show on all of your remedies for the Volitation.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 03:47 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
How's it flying Taco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoballz View Post
My new flybars and battery arrived! My old flybar was really jacked up. However I had a hell of a time trying to pull the metal pin out of the flybar. I was using a thumbtack to try pushing it out and the thumbtack actually bent! I eventually got it out but man, that was harder than it should have been. Any chance they put lock-tight on that pin at the factory?
Hi Taco,
I told someone in another thread that the waiting for the parts is as hard as busting the model itself. Is your heli flying any better? Are you more comfortable with it's control? Winter is comming out here in the West coast so much of my time will be in mods for this heli... and heavy drinking!!!!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:55 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
How to fly your Volitation.

Name: MAIN.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 42.7 KB
Description:

Once you have your trims set "slow mode" the fun begins! Select an open area your choice, but with atleast 15 feet by 15 feet enough room to manuver your helicopter. Since the radio's throttle toggle doesn't have a spring you can begin to apply power slowly. You will see your heli begin to become light on its skids. If you see movement "right" or "left" adjust your top right trim knob accordingly. Once the heli is sitting with NO movement under power apply more until your heli lifts into the air.

For an Electric heli this has alot of power! Concentrate on keeping the heli close and let the GYRO do it's job. Once youv'e mastered a steady hover it's simple to begin to use the tail rotor to move forward and back. Indoors is where you'll realize how much control this heli has. Focus and confidance come with practice so get as much as you can. While the set up of the trim and applying power are the same indoor or out, You realize much more steady flight indoors.

This how to is based on 2 weeks two days of off and on flights. It's mainly here for the guy who either just got their heli or has one and is not having very good results To date I have had NO problems with this toy and from what I've read consider myself lucky.

I don't mean to take away from the orginal thread owner, but time is critical in this hobby where there seems to be more bad with this heli than good and for the Volitations size out of trim it is a handful to say the least. Again I stress Fresh batteries and a 1hour and 40 minute charge on the pack.

There are two other guys Smokes and Tacoballs that seem to have a good idea but havent made comment on their flights. Looking forward to their input. Remember to take it slow and work with your heli. Good Luck and enjoy the Helicopter........... Kmax AKA alp
Old Oct 20, 2010, 01:36 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Hi All,
I guess I did steal this thread."Not my Fault" just wanna make sure there is enough fair info for you. I figure the closer to the holdays we get the better for those new 9053 owners. As of October-20th 2010 Xheli had a shipment of blades $6.00 per 2 sets free shipping.And a flybar $18.00 "not bad" ordered parts from Esky big lama "linkage rods" to update the the flybar as a second alturnitive to the flybar problem Smokes fixed. The ability to adjust that part goes along ways to keep damage to a minimum. a centered buble on the flybar has proven to give a Rock solid hover and a real big rush to fly this model now!!! Just like the S-107 accept bigger.
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 20, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:48 AM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
The heli is flying much more stable now. And now that I have some practice and know it's limitations, I am much more gentle with how I maneuver it. I haven't tested flight time with the new battery yet. Weather is changing down here in Southern Arizona and the winds are really picking up outside.

More videos to follow both from the ground and on-board with my ipod nano...
tacoballz is offline Find More Posts by tacoballz
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:07 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,179 Posts
mine flys forward faster now since i cut the tail boom to ballance the heli. it lifts off level , no more holding the forward trim to keep it level. i also added a rino 1020 lipo to it and now my flight times are even longer . i could probably get away with a 1200 lipo up there ,one day i will give it a shot .the best part of this heli is i can throw a 450 class fusalage on it and it will fly like a scale heli . you would need to loose the tail boom of course and mount the tail fan somewhere in the back but anything can be fixed with 2 part epoxy
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:32 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Hey Taco, how do you mount your nano? How about a few photos. I have one of the Gen5 nanos too but there's no way I'd send it up on a chopper.
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:07 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Awsome

Quote:
The heli is flying much more stable now. And now that I have some practice and know it's limitations, I am much more gentle with how I maneuver it. I haven't tested flight time with the new battery yet. Weather is changing down here in Southern Arizona and the winds are really picking up outside.

Great to hear that your still in business Taco! I had a chance to hover a Big lama and found it to be the same as accept the Big Lama had the benefit of my experience with 9053 The guy says he'd never seen anyone hover as well just picking up the radio. Might have to buy one of those TOO. Wind out here near Vancouver is rain 30 mile an hour gusts winters comming. Good luck to the Coyotes this Season