HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2011, 03:29 AM
Australia, NSW, Waterfall
Joined Jun 2011
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlejohn View Post
what mods are u talking about? this heli has so many mods that needs done to it just to get it working half decent (at least for me) none of the mods really worked. this heli is so hit and miss... some people get a great one and others get rubbish. its not really worth all the messing about modding in my opinion, get a better heli. i have a 4ch nine eagles that flys indoors and outdoors just fine. its only 20cm long and runs rings around the double horse.
It's flying really well mate and now has a camera installed in it's nose. BTW 9053 says Hi.......
Trelos05 is online now Find More Posts by Trelos05
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Arundel
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
Hi all
Got a 9053 for my birthday end of July. Been following this thread for a couple of weeks.
Done the blade flip, added weight to the nose cone, fitted Sky King tail rotor and swapped the flybar for the 9077 model. Had 2 great flights yesterday in a moderate wind and boy does this thing go. Only got the battery upgrade to do so I can fly for more than 15 mins. Thanks for the advise and ideas.....I'm here to stay!!!
LeChef is offline Find More Posts by LeChef
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:26 AM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Blade mod

I am unable to do the "reverse lower blade mod" due to the fact that the screw on the shaft that holds gear "A" in wont come all the way out. It backs out a little then stops. I've even tried needle nose pliers as well to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
tgsantini is offline Find More Posts by tgsantini
Old Aug 21, 2011, 08:09 AM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Update..... with a little trouble I finally got it and completed the mod
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
Glad you finally got the mod done, you'll notice a huge difference when flying - no blade strike and more stable.
Wind starting to get up now so I've invested in a Max Z mini 3ch indoor heli so I can keep practising in all weather.Now every day's a flying day.
Just ordered a 4ch Silverlit Z Century single rotor (due to arrive Tues) for my first try at 4ch flying, has anyone seen or flown on of these?? Be interesting to read your comments.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Won't start up

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and a new owner of a 9053.

I've had a few test flights and then decided to take the advice of the more experienced owners on the mods that needs doing to this helicopter.

The lower blades have been flipped successfully. However after fitting the new balance bar the helicopter now refuses to start up.

When applying the power, the blades attempt to turn but then stop. I can seeing a red LED on the circuit board which starts off as a solid red, but starts to flash after the blades attempt turning and fails.

I've removed all the blades and shafts and without anything connected to the motors, they begin to turn then stop. There is also a strong electrical smell from the circuit board (which is also getting hot!).

Has anyone any clues as to the cause and possible remedy?

TIA
Grenjs is offline Find More Posts by Grenjs
Last edited by Grenjs; Aug 26, 2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
MY new RC helicopter

Hay averyone i got this sweet R/C helicopter that some of you may have to. The Volitation high speed 9053... anyways am here to ask for help or if any one knows that i can call or talk to about this helicopter ..ok i will get to the point. I seen some videos on how to fly this RC and i thout it was prtty cool so i got one and tryed it out but whan i got this helicopter it did it fly instead it would spin left and go around and around and around and around so i thout i can just trun the trimmer to the right and it wold stop spining but still would not even get one littel inch off the ground i dont get it i tryed so meany things but it still would not even lift off the ground even on a full battery i thout it was to heavy but i did not what to touch anything so i tryed to hold it in the air but it feels like it would just fall to the ground so do you think you know whats the matter with this helicopter that cant fly ??? anyone know dam thing cost me 170 bucks and it cant lift off the ground LOL????
MasterEmpire is offline Find More Posts by MasterEmpire
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:30 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenjs View Post
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and a new owner of a 9053.

I've had a few test flights and then decided to take the advice of the more experienced owners on the mods that needs doing to this helicopter.

The lower blades have been flipped successfully. However after fitting the new balance bar the helicopter now refuses to start up.

When applying the power, the blades attempt to turn but then stop. I can seeing a red LED on the circuit board which starts off as a solid red, but starts to flash after the blades attempt turning and fails.

I've removed all the blades and shafts and without anything connected to the motors, they begin to turn then stop. There is also a strong electrical smell from the circuit board (which is also getting hot!).

Has anyone any clues as to the cause and possible remedy?

TIA
O.K. Since nobody else said anything yet, I'll just give you my experience. First of all, I'm an old man whose reflexes aren't nearly as good as they were in years past. And, I'm a total newbie. This was the first helicopter I have. My step son gave me a Double Horse 9050 for my birthday, guess he thought it would be easy enough for an old (78) man to learn to fly. The first time I tried it, it promptly got away from me. Naturally I did some damage, I replaced the blades, and the balance bar. Next time I was more prepared for what it was going to do and took it very slow. I flew it several times, just trying to hover it in one place. It got close to a very small palm tree, and clipped a frond, It was flying O.K. so I just slowly moved it away, and then it dropped. Not far, only a couple of feet. Then it wouldn't start anymore, it did what you say yours did. The blades would just move a quarter turn or so, and stop. And the led would start blinking. And I smelled that hot smell. The front drive motor was also hot. I replaced both drive motors and the controller assembly. That did the trick and it works fine now. Maybe I didn't have to replace both the motors and the controller, but I did, and it works fine now.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:45 AM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
O.K. Since nobody else said anything yet, I'll just give you my experience. First of all, I'm an old man whose reflexes aren't nearly as good as they were in years past. And, I'm a total newbie. This was the first helicopter I have. My step son gave me a Double Horse 9050 for my birthday, guess he thought it would be easy enough for an old (78) man to learn to fly. The first time I tried it, it promptly got away from me. Naturally I did some damage, I replaced the blades, and the balance bar. Next time I was more prepared for what it was going to do and took it very slow. I flew it several times, just trying to hover it in one place. It got close to a very small palm tree, and clipped a frond, It was flying O.K. so I just slowly moved it away, and then it dropped. Not far, only a couple of feet. Then it wouldn't start anymore, it did what you say yours did. The blades would just move a quarter turn or so, and stop. And the led would start blinking. And I smelled that hot smell. The front drive motor was also hot. I replaced both drive motors and the controller assembly. That did the trick and it works fine now. Maybe I didn't have to replace both the motors and the controller, but I did, and it works fine now.
Thanks FastMike for your reply.

I did think that would be the situation (new board).Perhaps I will do things one at a time - new controller board first and then if that doesn't work, the motors.

It's very annoying because I've only flown the helicopter a handful of times
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:33 AM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenjs View Post
Thanks FastMike for your reply.

I did think that would be the situation (new board).Perhaps I will do things one at a time - new controller board first and then if that doesn't work, the motors.

It's very annoying because I've only flown the helicopter a handful of times
Like I said, I'm a total newbie. The reason I changed out the motors too was because one motor was running very hot, and I thought it may have burned out, and may cause the board to burn out again too. They are quite inexpensive.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Aug 28, 2011, 05:19 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterEmpire View Post
Hay averyone i got this sweet R/C helicopter that some of you may have to. The Volitation high speed 9053... anyways am here to ask for help or if any one knows that i can call or talk to about this helicopter ..ok i will get to the point. I seen some videos on how to fly this RC and i thout it was prtty cool so i got one and tryed it out but whan i got this helicopter it did it fly instead it would spin left and go around and around and around and around so i thout i can just trun the trimmer to the right and it wold stop spining but still would not even get one littel inch off the ground i dont get it i tryed so meany things but it still would not even lift off the ground even on a full battery i thout it was to heavy but i did not what to touch anything so i tryed to hold it in the air but it feels like it would just fall to the ground so do you think you know whats the matter with this helicopter that cant fly ??? anyone know dam thing cost me 170 bucks and it cant lift off the ground LOL????
Try to hold the gear with one hand, then turn the blades with the other, a gear is slipping maybe?
viper1 is offline Find More Posts by viper1
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
22 Posts
Check to see if the lower blade spins when you hold the top gear. Thats what happened to me. A few good blade slaps or into the dining room wall will make the lower blade come out of the shaft holes.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 11:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
18 Posts
can any one tell me what the volts are on the tail motor please thanks
peter29 is offline Find More Posts by peter29
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:41 AM
Joined Aug 2011
23 Posts
SO PROUD OF MY 9053!!! A breezy day and managed a full battery's worth of crash free flying. All the mods have finally paid off. Took off nose into the wind with a little reverse power to the sky king rear rotor, held in a steady hover - swiched to high speed and flew INTO the wind no problem, even did some drifting and racing with the wind. Got to be my most enjoyable day of flying since I had this heli. AND NO CRASHES OR DAMAGE. THIS HELI IS GREAT FUN IF YOU PERSEVERE.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 02:19 AM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
Like I said, I'm a total newbie. The reason I changed out the motors too was because one motor was running very hot, and I thought it may have burned out, and may cause the board to burn out again too. They are quite inexpensive.
New board arrived and fitted. The 9053 in back in action! No idea why the board malfunctioned.

Thanks mikefast.