Australia, NSW
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
SOLD! pending payment....
beatlejohn is offline Find More Posts by beatlejohn
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:04 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2 Posts

I received a 9053 yesterday and this is what happened the first time I tried to fly it.

It was a very clam day I felt no wind at all, I applied the throttle and the machine took off and was hovering stable (after a little trim) about 20 feet high in front of me. I tried to make the machine go forward, while I cold see the tail rotor spinning the helicopter would not go forward at all, all of a sudden while the machine was still hovering I could hear the balance bar hitting the rotor, the machine wobbled uncontrollably, fell like a rock and broke the landing gear.

Having flown smaller RC helicopters before, I could clearly see this disaster happened solely from a flaw in the machine, there was no wind or operator errors that caused this crash. Since this happened in under a minute I dont even want to fix it and fly it again, if the helicoptor can't hover on a clam day without going into a wobble and stall how can I expect to fly it?

I just wanted potential purchaers to read my experience with it.

Max
Maxila is offline Find More Posts by Maxila
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Waterfall
Joined Jun 2011
1,171 Posts
Isnt a Purchase Funny....

I took mine out of the box two weeks ago, and after a charge instant lift off. I have flown it out doors and in the garage under my unit and no accidents or blade strikes to date. I have just bought beatlejohn's machine for spare, but to be honest I cannot fault my 9053 thus far. Will be doing some mods this long weekend in Aus and let you guys know.

Cheers
Trelos05 is offline Find More Posts by Trelos05
Old Jun 07, 2011, 08:29 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
im sure they are fine if u have a large indoor or in yr case trelos05, a garage big enough to fly them in. i dont have enough space inside to fly mine and everytime i attempted outdoor flights it just wouldnt cope with any wind at all. i was dissapointed

they have their place im sure if yr fine just wanting a nice easy float about but even a breeze i could barely feel would effect the flying of my 9053. looking at the size of it so many people get fooled into thinking that cos its so big it will be capable of so much more but for me they just dont do wat i was expecting so ive moved on to 4 ch helis and im glad i did. my little solo pro pushes straight into a breeze and handles it VERY well and its only 20cm long!!! thats a TRUE indoor and outdoor heli
the 9053 isnt a BAD heli it just seems to be so hit and miss with this heli thats all. some people have good experience with them and others dont im just glad that someone will get some use out of my 9053 and it was a learning experience for me so i did gain something from it
beatlejohn is offline Find More Posts by beatlejohn
Last edited by beatlejohn; Jun 07, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 01:54 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelos05 View Post
Isnt a Purchase Funny....

I took mine out of the box two weeks ago, and after a charge instant lift off. I have flown it out doors and in the garage under my unit and no accidents or blade strikes to date. I have just bought beatlejohn's machine for spare, but to be honest I cannot fault my 9053 thus far. Will be doing some mods this long weekend in Aus and let you guys know.

Cheers
I think mine might have been defective right out of the box, even when it was hovering it looked a bit wobbly as if the balance bar was not balanced, or a shaft has a slight bend? I'm not sure what was wrong with it, I just know it didnít look right from the instant I applied throttle.

After my last post above, I fixed it up (landing skids), and modified the balance bar as I read in this thread. I tried to fly it again, keeping the altitude low, even with the balance bar being an extra 1/2-inch away from the rotor; in a short time I could hear it striking the rotor. Because I kept it low, and I was ready for a problem I did no damage to it. I made a few more attempts and the copter is not stable and flies like crap when I can get a short run before the balance bar starts striking the rotor.

Maybe mine is just defective and yours is not? Potential owners should see that some people have problems with it and some are not. I should also mention for its price and size my expectations were not high; however my personal experience is that the helicopter is not even worth the $55.00 plus shipping I paid for it. I bought it from ThinkRC.com and it appears I have no recourse to return it or exchange it.

Max
Maxila is offline Find More Posts by Maxila
Old Jun 08, 2011, 04:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
9053 problems.

Had this heli for just over a week. Blade strike number 4 today. Ive only managed to keep it flying for a couple of minutes before it falls from the sky.
Ive already done the lower blade grip mod. Bent the balance bar upwards but it makes no difference.
On on my second set of blades.
Third tail rotor blade.
Third top blade grip holder.
Canopy mounts are busted but i managed to use a pair from a Syma S031.
This thing just self destructs in flight.
Ive watched all the youtube vids to see if there is a fix. Many recommend changing the balance bar from a DH9077. So i have ordered one.
Today the air was really still. Hardly any breeze at all. Took the heli up to about 15 feet. As soon as i initiated the first turn.BANG! down it came and piledrived into a fence.
Another big dent in the lower blade. Balance bar bent AGAIN! Top blade grip sheared off both blades and the tail rotor is nowhere to be found. Nice big scratches on the Canopy aswell. Cost of todays 20 second flight= £15 in spare parts. Ive spent more in spare parts than the whole heli cost in the first place.
Ive done all the recommended stuff.ie blade grip mod, Making sure the blades are snug in their grips without being too tight. Moved the battery forward to balance it a bit better(Even removed the boom bracings)
It hovers nice. Forward and backward control is fine. It seems to fly nice but then out of the blue the dreaded clatter of a blade strike and i am picking up the bits again.
Pics of todays damage.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
mojomad is offline Find More Posts by mojomad
Old Jun 08, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
My balance bar mod

Got absolutely fed up with blade strikes so i got drastic.
Here is my balance bar very technical modification.

[IMG][/IMG]
Cant try it yet. Waiting for new top blade grip to arrive.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Oct 2010
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomad View Post
Got absolutely fed up with blade strikes so i got drastic. Here is my balance bar very technical modification.
Cant try it yet. Waiting for new top blade grip to arrive.
Just order the E-sky Big Lama metal upgrade from Ebay and you wont need to buy these 9053 blade grips so often. The Lama-s shaft fits perfectly and its stronger.

It will pay off soon!
piito is offline Find More Posts by piito
Old Jun 08, 2011, 07:39 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,716 Posts
Rubber Band Mod

Mojo,

You need to try this....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377669

It really works, but becarefull how much you use or you will lose control

Good Luck
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piito View Post
Just order the E-sky Big Lama metal upgrade from Ebay and you wont need to buy these 9053 blade grips so often. The Lama-s shaft fits perfectly and its stronger.

It will pay off soon!
Is that the E020 0ne?

Like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Esky-Big-LAMA-...item3a66a55dc4
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
Did a little tinkering.

The balance bar simple mod didn't work. Bending the ends of the balance bar upward meant that it was no longer balanced. Got the new top blade grip today and went out for a quick test. It shook and rattled. (balance bar)
At the same time i managed to clip the side of my shed and broke 2 inches off one of the blades.
I decided to shorten the balance bar to try and avoid the blade strikes. It was a simple case of unthreading the end weights. Wip off an inch from each bar with a dremel cutter. I used a small drill, to drill out the threads in the weights and i soldered the weights back on to the bars. Checked for balance and it was good.
I removed all four blades and cut 2 inches off every blade. 1 of them was already missing 2 inches. So i figured, In for a penny,In for a pound.
I fitted a Syma S031 tail blade as a temp measure.
At last it flies like a dream.
The smaller blades and the smaller balance bar means forward speed is way improved. Even with a tiny tail rotor.
The smaller blades has meant that the blade speed has increased and the balance bar works much better rotating at a faster speed. Flight times are about the same.
The motors are cooler aswell.
I think ive stumbled upon a very good fix for this heli. It really does fly very well now and there is absolutely no chance of blade strikes.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 06:08 AM
Joined May 2011
12 Posts

nice heli! also check out their 9104 for only $69 at http://www.360hobby.com
tony1983 is offline Find More Posts by tony1983
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:26 AM
ColdwaterBob
United States, OH, Coldwater
Joined Mar 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomad View Post
I removed all four blades and cut 2 inches off every blade. 1 of them was already missing 2 inches. So i figured, In for a penny,In for a pound.
I fitted a Syma S031 tail blade as a temp measure.
At last it flies like a dream.
The smaller blades and the smaller balance bar means forward speed is way improved. Even with a tiny tail rotor.
The smaller blades has meant that the blade speed has increased and the balance bar works much better rotating at a faster speed. Flight times are about the same.
The motors are cooler aswell.
I think ive stumbled upon a very good fix for this heli. It really does fly very well now and there is absolutely no chance of blade strikes.
After reading this post, I had an extra set of blades so I cut off the 2" from both the A and B set. I installed them and tried it. For me, at full throttle, there seemed to be barely enough lift to get her off the ground just a couple inches.

I replaced the B set (Lower blades) with the original length blades and that seemed to help. I need to do a flight outside to give it a real test. I donít have the room inside.

With the original blades on the bottom and the cut-off blades on the top, I held on to the copter with my hand and gave it full throttle. It seemed like it was getting lift; I could feel it pulling up in my hand. I then pitched the copter forward and back with my hand probable more violently than it would see in flight. I watched the top blade set and there appeared to be plenty of clearance between the top and bottom set. I would not expect to have any blade slap issues between the upper and lower set.

I should note that I lowered the canopy by relocating the side pins to the lower position in order to get more clearance between the bottom blade set and the canopy. I let the bottom of the canopy float without securing it. I am also running the 9077 plastic balance bar as opposed to the stock one.

My only concern at this point is if I will have yaw issues from having the shorter top set verses the standard lower set. I thought I would throw that out for consideration.
ColdwaterBob is offline Find More Posts by ColdwaterBob
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:38 AM
Australia, NSW, Waterfall
Joined Jun 2011
1,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlejohn View Post
im sure they are fine if u have a large indoor or in yr case trelos05, a garage big enough to fly them in. i dont have enough space inside to fly mine and everytime i attempted outdoor flights it just wouldnt cope with any wind at all. i was dissapointed

they have their place im sure if yr fine just wanting a nice easy float about but even a breeze i could barely feel would effect the flying of my 9053. looking at the size of it so many people get fooled into thinking that cos its so big it will be capable of so much more but for me they just dont do wat i was expecting so ive moved on to 4 ch helis and im glad i did. my little solo pro pushes straight into a breeze and handles it VERY well and its only 20cm long!!! thats a TRUE indoor and outdoor heli
the 9053 isnt a BAD heli it just seems to be so hit and miss with this heli thats all. some people have good experience with them and others dont im just glad that someone will get some use out of my 9053 and it was a learning experience for me so i did gain something from it
Y
Your rebuilt bird has it's first test flight tomorrow after a few tweaks. Will update how it goes...fingers crossed.
Trelos05 is offline Find More Posts by Trelos05