HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:48 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Can we get some pics of your mod Smokes?
tacoballz is offline Find More Posts by tacoballz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2010, 08:57 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Well, here's a shot of the two flybars, the top one has been shortened, the bottom is normal. You can see the difference. I didn't take any step-by-step shots during the mod process but at least you can see what the results look like:

I can't pick any changes in stability using the shortened bar. If anyone is interested I'll mod another one and take detailed shots of the steps involved. It's all pretty easy.

Warning: Considering the weights will be spinning at some rate of knots, if the glue doesn't hold then something interesting is going to happen. Use the GOOD epoxy (not the fast setting type) and if you choose to do what I have done and anything goes wrong, I'm not here, I never was, and I never suggested this mod, OK?
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Oct 05, 2010, 12:45 AM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Smokes I'll tap the ends and redrill and thread the weights as well then. "Whew that would do a number on an aquarium. I don't think the flybar has to gimble that much on the rotorhead either.mili washers would take up any slop within that space where the flybar fixes to the head. I used two of the old airhog weights that they gave out to balance the ship itself. The CG on these is easy to find just hang it from the flybar and see, since we know that she is tail heavy this worked out well. This thing is great flying around the shop. "FYI" Bell and Hiller counter balance isn't that slopy other wise they'd never have gotten through a turn. I experienced the strike in a turn onto my helipad. It left a notch in the lower blade! These helis are F!%&n fun!

I also replaced the bottom screw to the canopy with velcrow and put old fashoned pins to hold the canopy where the stock ones were. This after seeing a guy who broke/ripped the canopy in that area. My attach points on the inside of the canopy are reenforced with that shipping tape that has fibers in it for more strength. Weight can accumulate making these mods. The battery is held in with velcrow as well. Dark horse has done a good job on this heli.With enough repair spares on your wall a guy could fly this as is for quite awhile. Be worth it to put an Eflite CX-2 Radio package in this.

There is a webpage tha's called "Pimp my helicopter" that gives alot of ideas on how to modify helis and I recomend it as a sencible site to get inspiration to mod many of the RC's in this Forum. The only thing we don't have for this chopper are the anodized upgrades Yet. There is one guy on this forum who probably could do this type machining You know who you are....
Kmax is offline Find More Posts by Kmax
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 05, 2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2010, 01:59 AM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
[QUOTE=00z00;15416281]Hey everyone. Before I get started, I'll apologize right off the get go if my terminology is wrong. This is my first heli I've purchased and so far I like it a lot. However, I was flying it yesterday and out of no where, it started wobbling and started coming down really fast. I was able to land it (not crash it) and when I looked at it I saw that one of the weights on the balancer sheared off. Since the paperwork that came with the heli was transferred from Chinese, it's very hard to understand it. I went to a couple local hobby stores near me and none of them knew how to replace the balancer nor knew which part would replace the balancer. If anyone can help, I'd be greatly appreciative of it. Here is a picture of my heli to help out.
[/QUOTE

00z00, Just take care and follow some of what you read on any forum you can tell if someone is helping you or intends to tryan screw you up. Smokes idea is viable and this machine doesn't really need all that much energy to run the blades up so shortening the fly bar makes perfect sence. keep her flying my friend!!!!
Old Oct 06, 2010, 04:44 PM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
I have a new flybar, and some other volitation parts left over, I listed them on ebay...
if anyone here can use them I will combine, and end early for RC group members...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1034

just drop me a message.
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Old Oct 09, 2010, 04:32 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1 Posts
Double horse 9053

Hey Guys,
My son broke the main blade grip, is it easy to replace, i have ordered the part, but no instructions on how to replace it
rangerwazza is offline Find More Posts by rangerwazza
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:13 AM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
I think you will learn everything you need to know from this video... he goes a little deeper than you need to, but its easy to understand how to do your repair.

edit video was already posted here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=54
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Last edited by Pontiaddict; Oct 09, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 07:11 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Syma brand helicopters can "last "10 years Easy!

So many new 9053 rc helicopter pilots with one radio frequencie each unit is exact the same as the other and ready to blame Syma for oversites in workmanship bla bla bla "No" its Pilot ERROR every time I'm of the opinion that one should plan to buy enough parts for three of these toys to last a long long time

Why not if you use this helicopter the way they do in Japan/China thes toys will live along time. Another guy on this forum has proven that,but Always buy parts because this hobby is to fun to be down for too long. S-107,CX-1,2 and 3 Walkara. It doesn't matter almost a given to need parts. From the time you crash your model it's a defanate BUMMER and so having everything on hand NOW is vital to your "not being bored" fixing them is up to you unless you have the funds to send them back to the Factory

10 sets of blades 12 Pcboards are un heard of to the Average heli freak but to a Freak it's a must. The S-9053 is a great heli it's the pilots that Suck!!! Even me.....

Don't take it to hard it's a situation of learning with this one. They told us it flies outdoors but when one does you either you have a hand full or it flies away or you scatter it across the pavement. It only takes 50 minutes to charge this machine. There are alot more good points than some lead us to believe on this forum. If I name just one is that it hovers indoors as well as it's mini cousin the 107. I'm a weekend pilot so I've experienced our little machine work it's magic on casaul observers. Did you know that you have to unplug the power into the heli befor you charge the battery. I't can fry your circuts gyro everything!!! That Red and blue light on the PC board tells you that your bound to the radio and all is well. There is so much to learn on these toys that many never get to realize the good.

I strike a cord in many forums over the issue of facts which are a typical "Man" can't take care of their toys! Why? ADD. Pipe dreams and a Beer cause many problems, and on the other hand kids don't have any more patience for these toys either. I only see 20 credible heli pilots on RCgroups and the rest are??? well should just read posts...

Really it's up to you if it is a good 16 minutes or bad. I don't recomend any heli to anyone if you want to fly these toys buy one. If you don't have patience forget it drive RC cars and see what they do for breaking hitting a curb. This Heli will be replaced and we'll start again with a similar cool looking heli.The 10 years applies to those who fly twice a week indoors. Well Christmas is coming get your parts in stock be ready to wait its a punishment for nonconformance..................I consider my point of view true and based on 8 months of working on and breaking this toy in to how well it flies. So all you skeptics Shhhhhhhhhhh sleep well and go fly a dragonfly......
Last edited by Kmax; Oct 11, 2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: more to say
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:57 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,056 Posts
i didnt know there was a thread on this heli . i have read that this heli is tail heavy and people put weight in the front . i added a lipo 800 battery to mine because the other battery would last 3 min before it needed to be recharged , i think mine was bad from the get go.
i fixed mine by cutting the tube shorter , mine is about 13-3/4 inches from the tail block where it goes into the heli , to the last screw to the tail motor. it flyes perfectly level now ans its easy to cut . i cut mine with tin snips and re cut the side clip so it dosent rotate and bent it back to round the best i could with some small plyers . here are the pics . i love this thing it flyes great but way to big to fly in the house because you run out of room fast
the only thing that i broke from the getgo was the upper blade holder, landed to one side and as it was powering down it tiped over and snapped it . the only place i found that had parts is enjoy hobbies , all the parts you need and i think they had free shipping
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Last edited by jombo; Dec 20, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:10 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,056 Posts
i just found something today with this heli , i have 3 on different channels so as one is charging i can fly another . well i left the tx on and forgot to turn it off , so when i grabbed the other to fly i would loose sygnal after 3 ft . i thought i cut the ant wire , the reciever is burned out . i went inside to check it out and staring me in the face is the other radio on and the ant fully extended . turned it off and went back outside to fly and it was all normal . i thought the purpose of different channel so othere could fly too , i guess not lol .
Old Oct 14, 2010, 02:27 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
My new flybars and battery arrived! My old flybar was really jacked up. However I had a hell of a time trying to pull the metal pin out of the flybar. I was using a thumbtack to try pushing it out and the thumbtack actually bent! I eventually got it out but man, that was harder than it should have been. Any chance they put lock-tight on that pin at the factory?
tacoballz is offline Find More Posts by tacoballz
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:09 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,056 Posts
maybe some thin ca , mine was hard to get off too when i snapped the upper blade holder.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:37 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
After a few flights with the shortened flybar I think it's the way to go. Yeah OK, I hit a few branches in the backyard but that wasn't the chopper's fault. It's the wife's fault for planting them there in my flightpath. If you've got a spare flybar give it a go.

As an alternative I've ordered one of these for the next stage: http://www.raidentech.com/walkeraheli-uflys-rtf.html
Looks very interesting and a good compromise. (I didn't order from this place, it's just that they've got lots of nice closeup pics)
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:40 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokes View Post
After a few flights with the shortened flybar I think it's the way to go. Yeah OK, I hit a few branches in the backyard but that wasn't the chopper's fault. It's the wife's fault for planting them there in my flightpath. If you've got a spare flybar give it a go.

As an alternative I've ordered one of these for the next stage: http://www.raidentech.com/walkeraheli-uflys-rtf.html
Looks very interesting and a good compromise. (I didn't order from this place, it's just that they've got lots of nice closeup pics)
Smokes! You're idea to shorten the flybar was a good show of enginuity I'm hording all the Volitation parts I can get so this bird will last. 3 of everything when I find it Good fishing so far, as I haven't had to outsource to china "yet" Your step up bird looks fast!!! Besides another guy in this forum hords S-107 parts so why not
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:54 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoballz View Post
My new flybars and battery arrived! My old flybar was really jacked up. However I had a hell of a time trying to pull the metal pin out of the flybar. I was using a thumbtack to try pushing it out and the thumbtack actually bent! I eventually got it out but man, that was harder than it should have been. Any chance they put lock-tight on that pin at the factory?
Hey Taco,
I found a set of micro screwdrivers at Harborfreight and ground the 1.4mm down flat to start a collection of decent tools for this chopper. I'm building a second one from parts incase I crash but it hasn't happened yet. I.m also changing the screws to hex head because the Volitations screws are soft. Hexhead screws won't add much weight on this chopper. Have you seen Ebay for parts? No one is really buying them because of how tempermental this model is outdoors. Mostly it's because some don't let out enough reciever antenna/low mismatched batteries Too stoned!