SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2010, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2007
141 Posts
I was looking at these ,but went with the skyking which is 36" long and loaded with led lites. I too did not like the rudder on the right stick so I opened up the tx and moved the rudder pod to the left stick, much better and more like a four channel heli
Rogersresort is offline Find More Posts by Rogersresort
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2010, 08:35 AM
Joined Jul 2010
2 Posts
yeah! I'm a newbie as well. the heli blades collapses when you lower the throttle to low, which bends the s#!t out of the fly bar. its not an easy one to control, you MUST be in clear open space for this heli, because the slightest wind takes it for a ride! lol...and your yelling dear god! so it won't crash into a tree again. you can get parts in eBay "sell sincerely" store. I'm taking turns in flying the E-flite msr (indoor) its helping me immensely. and for anyone who has the Phenix RC sim and lost there cable/broken and they've told you to kiss it and buy a new one try this site...[url]http://www.helibuy.com/simulator-cable-for-phoenix-rc-g4-aerofly-reflex-xtr-p-342.html
......you should find it interesting.
unicron69 is offline Find More Posts by unicron69
Old Aug 23, 2010, 05:55 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakkArduino View Post
@smokes...

How do you remove and replace the balance bar? Mine is pretty well bent up.
There's a pin (looks like a flathead nail) that holds the bar on. You can lightly tap it out with a small nail and a hammer. It might be necessary to rest the hub against something solid first - a spare set of hands is useful here.
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:16 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
I just picked up one of these last Sunday, apart from two small test flights in my basement gym downstairs, I haven't really flown it properly yet. I'm waiting for the weather to clear up a lil' so I can take it outside. It looks fairly well built, and hovered nicely enough...but this was inside with no wind at all obviously! It feels quite powerful as well I might add. I actually read up as much as I could on this heli, inclusive of this thread and decided to purchase it due to the availability of spare parts compared to most other large 3ch co-ax's out there (for me at least). I'll come back and give my impression once I get to fly the damn thing properly! Can't wait!
Judo JoNny is offline Find More Posts by Judo JoNny
Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:29 AM
Montreal, Québec, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
1,471 Posts
Great, some outdoor vids would be cool
Ceros007 is offline Find More Posts by Ceros007
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:01 AM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceros007 View Post
Great, some outdoor vids would be cool
Your wish is my command. Here's a couple of mine so far:

the Ulysses Club goes up in the world. (1 min 5 sec)

9053 helicopter - brief video test (1 min 19 sec)

I'm still playing around with the position of the camera. It's currently mounting directly below the main shaft to maintain balance but it picked up too much motor noise so in the second one I moved it further forward. Now it picks up less motor and more rotor, but it wobbles around too much.
I've since moved the video back to it's original position where it's solidly mounted but extended the microphone right at the front. No recordings of this setup yet (waiting for more still days) but it should pick up loads of rotor noise this time
Old Aug 31, 2010, 09:41 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Nice vid smokes! I somehow knew this was Melb even before I looked at your location haha. How long have you had the 9053 for, and where did you get it from? I've only been able to fly it outside once so far as the weather has been terrible lately! Even then it was a tad too windy, and I didn't manage to do much apart from hovering in the same place (more or less) and fighting against the breeze.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:15 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
Nice vid smokes! I somehow knew this was Melb even before I looked at your location haha. How long have you had the 9053 for, and where did you get it from? I've only been able to fly it outside once so far as the weather has been terrible lately! Even then it was a tad too windy, and I didn't manage to do much apart from hovering in the same place (more or less) and fighting against the breeze.
I'm out Kilsyth way JJ. I got the 9053 from eBay in March this year, same with the small 9098. All my parts come via eBay too . I think I'm keeping PayPal in profit this year.
The weather's been bloody awful as you say, but over the weekend and Monday the air was very still outside otherwise there's no way I'd take it out over asphalt. There's some large grassy areas that are sheltered by tall trees out this way that are ideal for flying.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 10:24 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokes View Post
I'm out Kilsyth way JJ. I got the 9053 from eBay in March this year, same with the small 9098. All my parts come via eBay too . I think I'm keeping PayPal in profit this year.
The weather's been bloody awful as you say, but over the weekend and Monday the air was very still outside otherwise there's no way I'd take it out over asphalt. There's some large grassy areas that are sheltered by tall trees out this way that are ideal for flying.
Cool, I'm down in Glen Waverley. There's a nice park near my house, but unfortunately it's in wide open space, so the breeze comes right through. I'm itching for a calm day to take the 9053 out there. I've only had it for around 2 weeks though. You ever get the flybar tangled with the rotors btw? It's only happened to me twice, and I just bent it back to the way it was rather easily...but it was a bit of an eyebrow raiser lol.
Old Sep 01, 2010, 04:04 AM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judo JoNny View Post
Cool, I'm down in Glen Waverley. There's a nice park near my house, but unfortunately it's in wide open space, so the breeze comes right through. I'm itching for a calm day to take the 9053 out there. I've only had it for around 2 weeks though. You ever get the flybar tangled with the rotors btw? It's only happened to me twice, and I just bent it back to the way it was rather easily...but it was a bit of an eyebrow raiser lol.
Yeah, you should see the notches in the blades . Bent the bar back, as long as both weights are inline with the hub it should work OK.
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:20 PM
Kent, UK
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
Hi Guys, Steve from the UK here, I've had my 9053 a while now and it flies beautifully....inside a sports hall!

Slightest wind and it piles in usually taking the balance bar with it! so I tried the ballance bar from a DH 9077 as there's two ball joints and it both fits, works and withstands the impact of colliding with the blades.
You'll need this part : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Balance-Bar-90...#ht_1677wt_911 and an additional connector buckle

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9053-Double-Ho...item415255c1cf
Rgds

Steve
Orford is offline Find More Posts by Orford
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:31 PM
Kent, UK
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
Battery

Bad form to reply to one's own post but just had another thought...

I too bought an additional battery and whilst the original one charges ok and lasts about 10-15 minutes of indoor flight, the new one hardly has sufficient power to lift off from a supposed full charge.

These really are the bottom end of large co-axial heli's!
Good fun but almost disposable!

Steve
Orford is offline Find More Posts by Orford
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:18 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orford View Post
Bad form to reply to one's own post but just had another thought...

I too bought an additional battery and whilst the original one charges ok and lasts about 10-15 minutes of indoor flight, the new one hardly has sufficient power to lift off from a supposed full charge.

These really are the bottom end of large co-axial heli's!
Good fun but almost disposable!

Steve
Hey Steve,

Thanks for posting the links to the alternate balance bar, I'd been thinking about replacing it already, since the chances of the metal one bending horribly out of shape one day is a real possibility!

As for this one being the bottom end of large co-axial's, trust me I've seen worse! Hell I own a pair! Try any of the numerous china bandwagon models or knockoffs and you'll see what I mean. Whether it's my n00b status to this hobby or general lack of exposure, this 9053 is by far one of the better built large co-axial 3 channels I've seen. Maybe that's a little sad? Haha.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:14 AM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Another onboard video, with some drama at the end.

9053 helicopter over the backyard (0 min 48 sec)

It's all fun folks. Ya gotta laugh.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 01:42 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2010
91 Posts
Spying on the neighbours smokes?

You sure had that thing fairly high mate, what happened at the end? Is the heli okay? I finally managed a spot of outdoor flying yesterday, as there was only a slight breeze with spots of calm here and there. It was awesome to fly during the calm spots, but once the breeze came in it became difficult to fight against it. This heli climbs really fast, I actually had it higher than I was comfortable with a few times without even meaning to. I also had quite a few blade strikes in the process due to uneven/poor landings haha. I can't wait until the weather really clears up as we move away from winter.