HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:16 PM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Well a working tail rotor mod has revitalized my enthusiasm with the 9053. Just had the best flying I've ever had. Maybe I'll put up with its eccentricities for a little while longer. See this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post16613082
theleetbeagle is offline Find More Posts by theleetbeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:34 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,174 Posts
i have been reading threads on here at rc groups converting the coaxal helis to regular 4 channel and brushless . i think i found some suitable brushless motors for it , the only problem is to figure out if the pinions will not come off the motors.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 26, 2010, 01:00 AM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jombo View Post
i have been reading threads on here at rc groups converting the coaxal helis to regular 4 channel and brushless . i think i found some suitable brushless motors for it , the only problem is to figure out if the pinions will not come off the motors.
Wondered that same thing. Wanted to replace the tail motor today and have done the solder work, but how does that gear come off the motor's shaft?
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:25 AM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,174 Posts
its just pressure fitted, i use a pair of dikes and slowly pry it up . be carefull not to cut the shaft or bend the brass gears.

well ........
i dont know if i can make this into brushless without alot of modifications, i would need to put a swash on it and make it to a fixed pitch , then use the brushless motors with the vtail mixers and gyro. the hard part is the swash , i can get the servos in since its made with servo slots . more work than i thought , i will see if i can do it on paper but if its going to be high on cost forget it i will stick with my CP heli's.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:58 PM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Someone on youtube made a 9053 into 4ch with all lama parts. Has a few videos of the end result.

And yes, found out the pinion comes right off w a pair of needle-nose.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Still alive, barely, been on a business trip and came back with a severe cold. at least it has given me time to fly my helis. Still glad to everyone still getting the most out of their 9053s
tacoballz is offline Find More Posts by tacoballz
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:22 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,174 Posts
yep here too everyone is sick , something just going around i guess .
i am leaving mine , i am not going to convert it to brushless, it would be cheaper to get the big lamna than to convert it . if i didnt have CP helis already then i would consider it . just gonna run them till they burn out , they are alot of fun to fly outside in the back yard kids love watching them too and i feel alot safer flying them with the kids around. one thing i did find out in ahurry is with the larger tail blades it is alittle more tricky to turn without smacking blades and ballance bar. gotta do nice and slow turns going forward or down she goes
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:14 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1 Posts
Hi Guys, I bought the 9053 on a whim while holidaying in Thailand, cost me about 20GBP I have read this entire thread and am a little confused.

I am very new to the Heli scene and only taken the Heli out twice, the first thing I noticed was that no matter how I tryied, I could not get the 9053 to hover nicely on the spot.

Firstly the heli would spin on the spot I trimed the Top R/H dial all the way almost to R and this corrected the spin, now the heli constantly wants to come backwards, again I have trimmed to maximum but still it comes back.

I was wondering should I weight the front or am I just not doing something right? or am I just expecting too much?

I'm really getting into this and want to get the hang of the hover first before I go any further, any help for a total noob would help. Sorry if this has been posted before!
Thunderwing is offline Find More Posts by Thunderwing
Last edited by Thunderwing; Nov 29, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:56 PM
indiana
Joined Aug 2003
22 Posts
set all trims to neutral before turning it on. they re-center on startup no mater where the trim tabs are set.
dkish is offline Find More Posts by dkish
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:44 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderwing View Post
Hi Guys, I bought the 9053 on a whim while holidaying in Thailand, cost me about 20GBP I have read this entire thread and am a little confused.

I am very new to the Heli scene and only taken the Heli out twice, the first thing I noticed was that no matter how I tryied, I could not get the 9053 to hover nicely on the spot.

Firstly the heli would spin on the spot I trimed the Top R/H dial all the way almost to R and this corrected the spin, now the heli constantly wants to come backwards, again I have trimmed to maximum but still it comes back.

I was wondering should I weight the front or am I just not doing something right? or am I just expecting too much?

I'm really getting into this and want to get the hang of the hover first before I go any further, any help for a total noob would help. Sorry if this has been posted before!
yep what he said before on the rotary knob trim. before you turn it on make sure the trims are center, the backwards can be fixed by moving the battery as far forward as possible , or since the battery wire is short , remove the screws that hold the plug and move the battery as far forward as you can. this will help some ,also add some weight to the front of the canopy or do what i did and cut the tail tube some to ballance the heli

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgcGp...layer_embedded
Old Dec 03, 2010, 07:32 AM
Katy, TX, USA
Joined Nov 2010
48 Posts
I'm confused, they advertise that the 9053 has a lipo battery, but my extra parts form that came with the heli says li ion? I know there is a slight difference between the two, which one do I have? Still new at this and still learning.
striker59 is offline Find More Posts by striker59
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:25 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
Greetings, all, this is my first post. Wanted to share my 9053 story and some mods I've picked up on.

I bought the 9053 about three months ago off of eBay and had it shipped down to Texas where I was stationed in the Army. We weren't allowed to do much of anything, but imagine everyone's surprise when this showed up during mail call.

I have flown the hell out of this thing and frankly, I am impressed. This was my first foray into the RC world (of cars, boats, planes, anything) and still I think I made a good purchase at $70. The 9053 is NOW $52 at xheli with free shipping with the 5% coupon that is all over the 'net. It should easily be $120 in my book. I personally think it's a steal.

Anyhow, I learned how to fly on the 9053, slowly but surely. I have replaced SEVERAL different parts and it seems like I have to fix something almost daily. But it's the price you pay (or don't pay!) for flying and crashing somethin!

I have broken blades flying against brick walls, broken the coupler on the flybar, etc etc. They're all easy fixes and the parts are CHEAP on eBay and Xheli. Had one of the motor-to-controller wires break. Glue fixed that. Tailboom came loose and threads were already stripped. Electrical tape around the mast and shoved it back in. Tight now, makes it fly smoother, too! Most people will steer you away from the 9053. I will NOT. I say BUY IT NOW, lol.

Here's what I've found. Like everyone else says, it is terribly susceptible to wind. Even very, very minor wind will send it sailing away. However, you can walk with it if you're in a big enough open space. Don't fight the wind, just play in it. My front yard happens to be a city park. Just walk (jog!) to catch up to it. If only I had a basketball court to fly in!!!

My rotors were VERY loose out of the box. It took me two months to figure out that tightening the blades helps ALOT. I assumed they were supposed to be loose so that striking an object allowed them to react. Not so. Even tight blades will still push off. Don't strip the screws in the plastic main grips (I call them shackles), but make the blades tight. If they come out of parallel during flight or during a hard landing, just move them back parallel with your hands.

ALSO, bend the flybar up. Each piece of metal should bend up and away from the top blades. See the photo. No more blade or flybar strikes now.

Originally, and occasionally, the helicopter would lose communication with the transmitter. And it would fall to the ground in a spectacular crash.

I seem to have fixed that, too, by letting the antenna hang loose. Not once has it gotten caught in the rotors. I imagine the down pressure of the blades keeps the antenna at bay...even when landing. Since I've done that, not once has the bird lost comms with the transmitter.

Also, as you can see in the photo, I have removed the canopy and the decorative bars. I have a postal scale accurate to the gram and it's saved me several of them (grams, that is). Also, the absense of the canopy eliminates heat build-up on the PCB.

I can attach TWO batteries total. I keep one as shown (held on with electrical tape bc I have three batteries and like to swap them out) and place the other one directly under the main shaft. I don't do it all the time, but it's nice to have a battery ready at hand.

My next mod will be like in the one youtube video where the guy took pieces of main rotor and glued them to the tail rotor. Doubled the airfoil size, easily. He says forward and reverse capabilities increased 3x. His video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwqNWWf2JWA

If that fails, I am going to crimp the tailboom so that the tail rotor faces slightly away. Dunno what reaction I'll get with that, but it's worth a shot.

Also, have bought off eBay and having shipped from Hong Kong, a 3000mAH battery. Still 7.4v, so it should work. OEM battery is 90 grams. This one is 147 grams. Seeing as how it flies with two batteries at 180 grams, this should work nicely and give me greatly extended flight time. We shall see!!!

ok does that actually work? bending the flybars up anyway if you could you post a vid of it flying? or if anybody whose also done that mod.

(just got my 9053 Volitation Today!)
scoutfrenzy is offline Find More Posts by scoutfrenzy
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:38 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
36 Posts
9053 with rockets

9053 with rockets (1 min 9 sec)
scoutfrenzy is offline Find More Posts by scoutfrenzy
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:50 AM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutfrenzy View Post
ok does that actually work? bending the flybars up anyway if you could you post a vid of it flying? or if anybody whose also done that mod.

(just got my 9053 Volitation Today!)
Bending the flybars up does work and didn't affect performance.

However, if you crash land on them you still bend 'em and have to bend 'em back into place.

Thus, I ended up going with a 9077 flybar which is made of plastic and includes an LED anyhow. Fits right on. Available on xheli.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:49 PM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutfrenzy View Post
What exactly are the rockets? Bottle rockets or?