HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
9053 blades lurch then stop and pcb flashing rapidly til i turn throttle off

Did you figure out why your 9053 was only lurching the blades forward and the pcb flashing rapidly til you turn the throttle off? mine is doing the same thing and i dont know why... Please help anyone with any input.

GHogie is offline Find More Posts by GHogie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:41 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
Sounds like you have plenty of power, along with that durability, JB!

I guess the problem now is control???

How did you end up in that tree?

Sry GH, I know nothing abt those probs...
rc
rusty case is offline Find More Posts by rusty case
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:40 PM
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
3,263 Posts
"I guess the problem now is control???

How did you end up in that tree?"

I will admit to exceeding the limits of my learning curve. What happens indoors (especially with a heli somewhat "much" smaller) does not always directly translate/reflect on what happens outdoors. I really was doing figure 8's when I lost it. I have an anemometer onsite- It was zeroe'd out windwise at 8'. I can not attest to what was going on higher up (and then there was the Tx range thing; and the snow, ..., OBTW those lights are pretty bright which is a good thing). It flies a lot better outside in the quick mode. I was so nose heavy at the time I could fall forward.
jbrumberg is online now Find More Posts by jbrumberg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Improving Visibility
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:12 PM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
jb... so you're ready to go back at it again, with a few more mods?
:-)
rc
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3,263 Posts
As soon as I can. For the record, I live on an open north facing slope located within a ravine @~1400' in the hilltowns of western MA/USA. Zephyrs and upwind cow farts can really create challenges outside, there is no such concept as level outside (There will be after the next decent snow.), and then there is the snow. It's really neat to watch the powder snow blowout; it's not so neat to see those stock skids sink in the underlying snowbase on planned/unplanned landings (at least snow landings are generally on the level).

Those wiffle golf balls weigh in @ ~ 3.5 grams each. They will catch snow prior to liftoff, but it will drop eventually depending on the snow/ice mix. They do help with landing bouyancy, but they are heavy and can catch things.
So far the stock cowling is keeping everything dry.

It's generally real quiet windwise right before the storm. .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Jan 2013
4 Posts
9053 electrical troubleshoot

Hi, I am a newbie to this forum but I have a question if anyone can answer it I would be much appreciated...
I crashed my heli recently quite hard... I received new parts and now the rotors only lurch forward then stop and the pcb light starts flashing rapidly until i turn the throttle down..Ive tried so far to taken everything apart and it seems to be all together and tight.. also i changed the batteries in the tx. and the heli battery is fully charged all tho it is the stock one. can anyone tell me how to trouble shoot this to find out if it is the battery or the pcb board or if i broke one of the motors or what?
The rear motor had become missed aligned w the gear and i was able to pop it back in. When i first got the heli hooked up w the battery only the top blades were turning til i realigned the gears. now they wont turn at all....
I dont believe it is the tx/rx tho because its seems to respond to my inputs tho i could be wrong beacuse of my experience.

Does anyone have any knowledge in this area?
Thank
GHogie
GHogie is offline Find More Posts by GHogie
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3,263 Posts
GHogie- The gear-driveshaft connections are a design weakness IMVHO. I file down the upper gear screw areas a little bit on both sides to allow for those gear screws to insert into those outer driveshaft holes better. I insert a paperclip "tool" to help align those two screw holes and shaft holes. The lower gear must really be aligned and tightened to the inner driveshaft indent.

When I hear about blinking lights on the CB all I can think about is the Tx and CB not connecting.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:51 PM
ColdwaterBob
United States, OH, Coldwater
Joined Mar 2011
111 Posts
Back Again

Hi all,

It has been a long time since I posted. My 9053 has collected a lot of dust over the last year. With all the mods I did, at best, it marginally flies outside. I have had a number of accidents and it has taken its toll on her. It got to the point where she shutters like a 100 year old man.

I have been flying the micros in the house just to maintain sanity. Several months ago our local Aldi's store was selling micro 3 channels for $17.00 so I bought two of them. The wife is getting tired of me buzzing her and blowing her hair around but she has the patience of a saint to put up with me.

I recently got the bug to get the 9053 resurrected. I bought the inner and outer shafts thinking I had slightly bent shafts. I had the broken screw issue on the bottom drive gear which ruined the gear getting it off. I bought both drive gears and replaced the upper blade grip that I had JB welded together. All of these issues added to the shuttering which had everything out of balance which toasted the small bearings.

I got all the parts in except the bearings. They are on the way. I had to buy each part from different suppliers on ebay to get the best price. Hopefully this should get her back to normal. I would love to get her flying again like she did out of the box.

She is too big to fly in the house and still not very reliable outside unless it is completely calm out. Just the same, I would rather have it in a working condition as opposed to just sitting on the shelf looking awesome.

I had her apart for so long that I had to look at some old pictures I took just to remember how to put it back together. Just the same, it is a hobby I enjoy. I also enjoy reading everyone's post. I suppose misery loves company .
ColdwaterBob is offline Find More Posts by ColdwaterBob
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:41 AM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
:-)

Glad to see your post, Bob!

My volitation was a gift, and I immediately took it apart for mods, before it crashed on it's own accord, and I have gone over to the micro side and not put mine back together, either!

I have a V202 quad from banggood.
...and it arrived doa... lol
I have managed to diagnose it's problem, and should also put it together !

I have a thought the volitation may not have such a horrid blade strike problem if I trim 20mm or so from each one of the rotor blades... I'm thinking they won't be so wimpy, if shorter, and there will be less of a chance of the lower striking the upper.
I have also shortened the flybar and flipped the lower rotor and put on a larger tail rotor.
...I forgot... must also lower the canopy a bit.

Gosh! I better get this thing flying!

Good luck with yours!
rc
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:54 AM
ColdwaterBob
Joined Mar 2011
111 Posts
[QUOTE=rusty case;24554921]Glad to see your post, Bob!

I have a thought the volitation may not have such a horrid blade strike problem if I trim 20mm or so from each one of the rotor blades... I'm thinking they won't be so wimpy, if shorter, and there will be less of a chance of the lower striking the upper.
I have also shortened the flybar and flipped the lower rotor and put on a larger tail rotor.
...I forgot... must also lower the canopy a bit.

A word of warning! If you shorten the blade length, you reduce the surface area for lift. In other words, if you shorten the blade length, she may not have enough lift for take-off. I know this from experience.

If you flipped the lower blade grip, that should give you sufficient clearance that you should not have much trouble with blade slap.

Keep the shiny side up and stay away from those helicopter eating trees and you will be ok.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Dec 2012
3,263 Posts
"Keep the shiny side up and stay away from those helicopter eating trees and you will be ok."

Not as easy as it sounds; especially if you encounter any wind. I am still SAR my MIA 9053 . My crash was spetacular - I saw it puff, fall, and heard the crash- in either my or my neighbor's woods .
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jbrumberg; Mar 28, 2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: smilies "needed"
Old Mar 28, 2013, 02:25 PM
ColdwaterBob
Joined Mar 2011
111 Posts
Not as easy as it sounds; especially if you encounter any wind. I am still SAR my MIA 9053 . My crash was spetacular - I saw it puff, fall, and heard the crash- in either my or my neighbor's woods .[/QUOTE]

That sucks I hope you find it and there are enough parts left to salvage. Once I get mine running again, I think I will limit it to flying inside the shop warehouse I work at or outside on dead calm days. There is plenty of stuff to wreck into in our warehouse A gym would be perfect.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:28 AM
KlonWarz
Joined Dec 2012
455 Posts
Part of my logic in shortening the rotor blades is that a number of volitation operators have described flites in excess of 80ft AGL... and frequently, that is where their problems with making headway increased dramatically !

I simply do not need a great deal of altitude.
So, if I must increase power, to gain a more moderate altitude, well, that's fine by me! lol

A 20mm trim is arbitrary...
If it sounds excessive, perhaps I should try less???

I would much prefer to discuss it here, before doing it.
rc
Old May 06, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Aug 2012
64 Posts
Hello, Have had the 9053 for a few months now and can now fly it good in light wind! I did the blade flip mod shortened the original balance bar and took 2 blades from my syma s107 glued them together and screwed it on the tail. it now has tons of forward thrust and I get no blade strikes even when i'm really gliding around!
canadabear07 is offline Find More Posts by canadabear07
Old May 07, 2013, 09:25 AM
zman
United States, FL, Ormond Beach
Joined May 2013
2 Posts
I have a Volitation, and it does not like breezes. At least that's my experience. I still like it though. Very Fun to fly.
Jerry zito is offline Find More Posts by Jerry zito