Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:37 AM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
I bought spares from another site http://www.toptoyexpress.com/
They had plenty of parts, but they ship directly from Taiwan. I paid through Pay Pal and so far so good. Parts arrived quickly but the packaging was minimally padded.
tacoballz is offline Find More Posts by tacoballz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 02:24 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
This weeks parts will be A and B inner mainshaft and outter mainshaft maingear and drive gears three sets 30 bucks. Haven't broke anything yet knock on wood. With all the butheads trying to bomb the world we gotta watch where our parcels are comming from. Why not get the parts in China since the 9053 is made there. Xheli.com is always good for me but haven't had a problem with Ebay either. Do you have an NHL team in your state just to get a feel of where your writing from.
Kmax is offline Find More Posts by Kmax
Old Nov 01, 2010, 03:45 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
Southern Arizona, a stone's throw from the Mexico border. I work at an Army base that teaches how to fly UAVs among other things. That's not my job there, I'm just a software guy.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:02 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
The Coyotes,
We were at Beale AFB and seen a Predetor a year back because my better halfs mother lives in Sacramento.The F-117 use to be stationed at Hollaman AFB Screaming Deamons sqrdrn. Softwear is an intresting carreer I bet. Yard work today but will probably clean some parts for my VW or more yard work.......Tomorrow. I know smokes is down under isn't he? Well now it's the lead in to the holidays so I don't think I'm to excited to go through another round of destroy the helicopter fest December 26,27, heeeee

Ps I wouldn't even want to be near Nogalas stuff happenes there. Thats closer to Xheli than I am. They are in City of Industry Ca near Sandiago
Last edited by Kmax; Nov 01, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 12:50 AM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoballz View Post
My big dillema now is to decide whether I want to buy a second charger for my 9053 since the one it comes with takes a long time to charge. Any good fast chargers out there?
Hey Taco, the Walkera HM-38-Z-29 (GA005) charger that came with my new Walkera is directly compatible with the 9053 battery. It's about $20-25 on eBay and has a CPU in it to monitor charge rates, also charges 3 cell Lipo packs - a lot more elaborate than the original 9053 one. Whether or not it charges any faster... dunno, but it's half the size and it has a flashing light so it must be good
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Last edited by smokes; Nov 02, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 05:00 PM
N.Y.
Joined Jan 2003
887 Posts
Well it was bound to happen, I see xheli is out of the replacement parts most likely to break. Anyone find another supplier?
MAKODS is offline Find More Posts by MAKODS
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:31 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKODS View Post
Well it was bound to happen, I see xheli is out of the replacement parts most likely to break. Anyone find another supplier?
There are acouple of sellers on Ebay,but I haven't used them "Yet" MAKODS. I've been hording enough for three 9053's . I like the helicopter so much I made it a priority. The circut boards were the very first thing I ordered. Seems like the upper and lower blade holders are a hot item then the Flybar and blades. Haven't seen the chasis or landing gear being trashed on these nor the shafts. For now I'd remove the defective part if it bothers you and get alittle bench time in

I'm planning to upgrade one of my 9053 builds with a Lama chasis and motors drive shafts drive gears, cant make the 9053 any more difficult to control or fly??? Might even make it lighter. You can have Xheli "Alert you when they restock. Taco knows of a site in China where they are made but it's name eludes me. It might be back a page or so or at the top of page 10. Hope you can get your heli up soon MAKODS
Last edited by Kmax; Nov 03, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:06 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
yeah, site is http://toptoyexpress.com/
was fast and the price was right, but the packaging of the parts left a little to be desired
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:27 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
4,887 Posts
enjoy hobbies is a place i orderd from , they have free shipping on parts. there in HK , so the shipping can take up to 2 to 3 weeks.
just finished up a 250 heli , that thing flys great. now back on topic , i have been flying the coax in the family room and i run out of ROOM fast with this thing.
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:47 PM
RC heli junkie
Sierra Vista, AZ
Joined Mar 2007
57 Posts
I tried doing some cargo lifting with my 9053, it was... er sorta successful. I have a plush Gusteau from Ratatouille and tried to lift it with some string. The 9053 pulled the string taught but the heli started darting to the left and dragged the plush doll instead of hovering/lifting. Perhaps a better mounting method is in order.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 02:20 PM
Fly heli's since 1979
Chiliwak
Joined Sep 2010
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoballz View Post
I tried doing some cargo lifting with my 9053, it was... er sorta successful. I have a plush Gusteau from Ratatouille and tried to lift it with some string. The 9053 pulled the string taught but the heli started darting to the left and dragged the plush doll instead of hovering/lifting. Perhaps a better mounting method is in order.
Hi Taco,
Here are general set ups to show how I came to try lifting with my Rc helicopter. I'm looking for a decent photo to show you the frame work under a helicopter but it seems like I haven't asked the right question yet I started out with packs of gum at first.But with similar sling loading you see here.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:59 AM
RC Pazzo
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Jul 2004
177 Posts
Message already posted
elettroman is offline Find More Posts by elettroman
Last edited by elettroman; Nov 07, 2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: allready posted
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:43 AM
RC Pazzo
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Jul 2004
177 Posts
V/camera for 9053

Hello, Smokes, I like you video on the 9052 and I'm planing to get one of this heli. I'm interested to know from you, what video camera did you use for this heli? I'm planing also to by a video camera for my electric planes, but your video is SOOOO good. Beautiful picture and sharp. Can you let me know, please?
elettroman is offline Find More Posts by elettroman
Old Nov 07, 2010, 03:23 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elettroman View Post
Hello, Smokes, I like you video on the 9052 and I'm planing to get one of this heli. I'm interested to know from you, what video camera did you use for this heli? I'm planing also to by a video camera for my electric planes, but your video is SOOOO good. Beautiful picture and sharp. Can you let me know, please?
Hi Elettroman. The camera is a keyring sized video camera I got via eBay. If you do a search on eBay for "key camera" you'll find dozens of them, they look like a car remote that fits on your keyring. They are typically under US$10 these days inc postage - well worth it. They normally come without RAM so buy your RAM card locally, you can't trust RAM bought on eBay. There's a picture of mine back in post #98 on this forum showing the mount I use.
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:31 AM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Greetings, all, this is my first post. Wanted to share my 9053 story and some mods I've picked up on.

I bought the 9053 about three months ago off of eBay and had it shipped down to Texas where I was stationed in the Army. We weren't allowed to do much of anything, but imagine everyone's surprise when this showed up during mail call.

I have flown the hell out of this thing and frankly, I am impressed. This was my first foray into the RC world (of cars, boats, planes, anything) and still I think I made a good purchase at $70. The 9053 is NOW $52 at xheli with free shipping with the 5% coupon that is all over the 'net. It should easily be $120 in my book. I personally think it's a steal.

Anyhow, I learned how to fly on the 9053, slowly but surely. I have replaced SEVERAL different parts and it seems like I have to fix something almost daily. But it's the price you pay (or don't pay!) for flying and crashing somethin!

I have broken blades flying against brick walls, broken the coupler on the flybar, etc etc. They're all easy fixes and the parts are CHEAP on eBay and Xheli. Had one of the motor-to-controller wires break. Glue fixed that. Tailboom came loose and threads were already stripped. Electrical tape around the mast and shoved it back in. Tight now, makes it fly smoother, too! Most people will steer you away from the 9053. I will NOT. I say BUY IT NOW, lol.

Here's what I've found. Like everyone else says, it is terribly susceptible to wind. Even very, very minor wind will send it sailing away. However, you can walk with it if you're in a big enough open space. Don't fight the wind, just play in it. My front yard happens to be a city park. Just walk (jog!) to catch up to it. If only I had a basketball court to fly in!!!

My rotors were VERY loose out of the box. It took me two months to figure out that tightening the blades helps ALOT. I assumed they were supposed to be loose so that striking an object allowed them to react. Not so. Even tight blades will still push off. Don't strip the screws in the plastic main grips (I call them shackles), but make the blades tight. If they come out of parallel during flight or during a hard landing, just move them back parallel with your hands.

ALSO, bend the flybar up. Each piece of metal should bend up and away from the top blades. See the photo. No more blade or flybar strikes now.

Originally, and occasionally, the helicopter would lose communication with the transmitter. And it would fall to the ground in a spectacular crash.

I seem to have fixed that, too, by letting the antenna hang loose. Not once has it gotten caught in the rotors. I imagine the down pressure of the blades keeps the antenna at bay...even when landing. Since I've done that, not once has the bird lost comms with the transmitter.

Also, as you can see in the photo, I have removed the canopy and the decorative bars. I have a postal scale accurate to the gram and it's saved me several of them (grams, that is). Also, the absense of the canopy eliminates heat build-up on the PCB.

I can attach TWO batteries total. I keep one as shown (held on with electrical tape bc I have three batteries and like to swap them out) and place the other one directly under the main shaft. I don't do it all the time, but it's nice to have a battery ready at hand.

My next mod will be like in the one youtube video where the guy took pieces of main rotor and glued them to the tail rotor. Doubled the airfoil size, easily. He says forward and reverse capabilities increased 3x. His video is here:

9053 Volitation (and DH 9101) helicopter modifications (2 min 47 sec)

If that fails, I am going to crimp the tailboom so that the tail rotor faces slightly away. Dunno what reaction I'll get with that, but it's worth a shot.

Also, have bought off eBay and having shipped from Hong Kong, a 3000mAH battery. Still 7.4v, so it should work. OEM battery is 90 grams. This one is 147 grams. Seeing as how it flies with two batteries at 180 grams, this should work nicely and give me greatly extended flight time. We shall see!!!

theleetbeagle is offline Find More Posts by theleetbeagle