Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
My opinion, for what it is worth, is you got a bogus 9053. Everything looks different, even the circuit board.
Not long ago I ordered a DH 9101 and recieved it a week or so ago. Nowhere on the box or heli does it say Double Horse, Syma or even 9101. It was listed as 29' long it wasn't. I posted if anyone has experienced a "bait & switch" from Amazon.com on these helis. One response stated that they are all the same and manufactured by Shuang Ma. Just packaged and badged differently. Looking at the ones posted here and the one I received, there is quite a bit of difference with these. Of the two Tx posted here, mine is more similar to the second one but is not the same. The box my heli came in shows it manufactured by Eclipse. Nowhere does it show Syma or Double Horse or for that matter the 9101 I ordered. No, I don't think these are all the same. Similar maybe but not the same. I guess you get what you pay for as these are not exactly Align T REX 600's.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hobart,Tasmania,Australia
Joined Mar 2001
106 Posts
The biggest problem with these off brand machines is the total lack of spare parts for repairs or mods.
Plus performance is an unknown, thats why I got rid of mine.
geebee is offline Find More Posts by geebee
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwek View Post
Not long ago I ordered a DH 9101 and recieved it a week or so ago. Nowhere on the box or heli does it say Double Horse, Syma or even 9101. It was listed as 29' long it wasn't. I posted if anyone has experienced a "bait & switch" from Amazon.com on these helis. One response stated that they are all the same and manufactured by Shuang Ma. Just packaged and badged differently. Looking at the ones posted here and the one I received, there is quite a bit of difference with these. Of the two Tx posted here, mine is more similar to the second one but is not the same. The box my heli came in shows it manufactured by Eclipse. Nowhere does it show Syma or Double Horse or for that matter the 9101 I ordered. No, I don't think these are all the same. Similar maybe but not the same. I guess you get what you pay for as these are not exactly Align T REX 600's.
It should say 9101 on the bottom from canopy, and on the blades. Could you post a picture of it?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:13 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,296 Posts
I have the gray version of the 9101...the yellow is also a legit 9101.

Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:43 PM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
United States, OH, Whitehouse
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Should have been there by now.
Arrived today. Board is 49mhz, just what I needed. Thanks Bro...
boulier1 is offline Find More Posts by boulier1
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:36 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulier1 View Post
Arrived today. Board is 49mhz, just what I needed. Thanks Bro...
No Prob.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:52 AM
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Quote:
It should say 9101 on the bottom from canopy, and on the blades. Could you post a picture of it?
Having problems with posting pictures on my computer but anyway...The canopy that came on my heli is gray & black just like yours, but where yours shows 9101 mine has nothing, just black paint. Now the extra canopy I ordered at the same time I ordered this shows the 9101 logo. My heli came with the white with black trim blades. No lettering or marking on either side of these blades. For $40 I guess I shouldn't complain but I see so many different versions of this I had to speak up. I know it's a toy quality but still....
When it comes to parts, I will order for the 9101 I assumed I bought. They should all be pretty much the same.. There I go again...
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Lost it

Ordered one of these the other day and stumbled on this (very long) site, have read 30+ pages on various problems and mods people are doing to make this thing better. (appreciated, if I get it back I'll do some)

Day One

was missing one of the connectors between the top blades and the flybar and still flew okay.

2nd Flight the screws holding the lower blade to the hollow shaft quit on me, replaced them with something bigger and was working for the half dozen or so flights since then (although I had to tighten the screws back up every so often) both those screws broke the gear a little around the holes (one disappeared on me) other than being a little wobbly was amazed the thing still flew fine.

Day Two

Some awesome crashes that should have broke it didn't

one crash, it flipped over in a breeze and fell from 70'. I hit the throttle to right it back then killed it as it slammed into the ground (the lower blade gear got a little warped, but the damn thing still flew incredibly)

Day three

worked great, until (as others warned) i was showing off the thing and how high it would go and the wind took it (again i was warned).... right into a tree about 50'-100' up

It tumbled down a bit and now it sits there laughing at me from 30-40 or so feet away, (the light stayed on all night)

Threw some rocks at the branch and the copter (rocks won't hurt it, right )

Nothing...

Today a buddy of mine is going fishing in the trees to see if he can get it (even if he gets it the fall is surely going to be the nail in the coffin)

O well, I'll update if I can get it down, maybe post a damage pic if its brutal enough

If not I'm likely going to grab another, was awesome for the 3 days I used it. (my first copter after trying my friends little indoor one)

I bought another (don't have the model offhand) it's a little 3ch that does the same outdoor flying and everything (flys forward better too) but it's not the same without the size... the 9053 is more impressive looking (less toy more machine)
Random Dude is offline Find More Posts by Random Dude
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:42 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Dude View Post
was missing one of the connectors between the top blades and the flybar and still flew okay.
Er, lots of helis only use a single connect buckle. Often if you add a second one it destroys performance.

Check photos online, DH 9053s only use one.

http://www.bananahobby.com/1999.html
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
2nd Flight the screws holding the lower blade to the hollow shaft quit on me, replaced them with something bigger and was working for the half dozen or so flights since then (although I had to tighten the screws back up every so often) both those screws broke the gear a little around the holes (one disappeared on me) other than being a little wobbly was amazed the thing still flew fine.
The shaft has dentents (little holes actually) that the screws must be aligned with for a lock.

Again, check photos online.

http://www.toptoyexpress.com/remote-...b-9053-10.html
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
worked great, until (as others warned) i was showing off the thing and how high it would go and the wind took it (again i was warned).... right into a tree about 50'-100' up

It tumbled down a bit and now it sits there laughing at me from 30-40 or so feet away, (the light stayed on all night)

Nothing...

Today a buddy of mine is going fishing in the trees to see if he can get it (even if he gets it the fall is surely going to be the nail in the coffin)
Most of us have been there.

I had to fish a heli from a 1-story house roof this morning myself. I use a grappling hook for this, made from a plastic-coated coat hanger twisted up with 50 feet of twine.

I lost a nice tandem heli high in a tree though. First it was way up there (75 feet?), second the tree was in a fenced back yard, and third it is quite likely the rotor wrapped a number of leaves and leaf stems "around the axle" tightly (maple trees are bad for this) so... time to buy more!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
I got it back

So we got it down, a little broken but not too bad.

Went and got 100' of nylon clothesline and tied one end to a big pair of pliers.

Me and my friend spent over an hour windmilling the pliers and tossing it at this branch until finally I got it over, and lowered the other end by whipping the rope hard until the pliers lowered (kept getting caught on branches and not coming down)

Once I had both ends I shook the branch till it tossed the helicopter (it was in this tree good)

The fall did all the damage except maybe the bent flybar (was going to replace anyway)

One upper blade snapped the connector (blade is still good) seems like an easy fix.

The lower blades don't engage the gear (was broken anyway and needed to be fixed)

The only part I'm not sure about is the lower plastic part of the frame snapped off the front portion (under the canopy where the LED and battery are mounted) Anyone know if you can order this part? It also looks like I'm missing a couple of the screws from the frame.
Random Dude is offline Find More Posts by Random Dude
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:10 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,618 Posts
Congrats on the recovery.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:42 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
Joined Dec 2010
3,296 Posts
Quote:
Ordered one of these the other day and stumbled on this (very long) site, have read 30+ pages on various problems and mods people are doing to make this thing better. (appreciated, if I get it back I'll do some)

Day One

Day Two

Some awesome crashes that should have broke it didn't

one crash, it flipped over in a breeze and fell from 70'. I hit the throttle to right it back then killed it as it slammed into the ground (the lower blade gear got a little warped, but the damn thing still flew incredibly)

Day three

Nothing...

O well, I'll update if I can get it down, maybe post a damage pic if its brutal enough

If not I'm likely going to grab another, was awesome for the 3 days I used it. (my first copter after trying my friends little indoor one)

I bought another (don't have the model offhand) it's a little 3ch that does the same outdoor flying and everything (flys forward better too) but it's not the same without the size... the 9053 is more impressive looking (less toy more machine)

Here he is: