HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Jul 2005
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
Havng done both your conclusion in incorrect, the sky king rotor blade gives the 9053 the ability to move at quite a speed, so much that your have to be careful not to have a blade strike. On my last crash the forward thrust pushed the nose almost straight to the ground causing a blade strike and kissing the concrete. My own fault for not paying enough attention
Oh wow - so is it too much then? is there a different tail rotor that gives better movement than stock but not so much that this happens?

if the general concensus is that the sky kind blade is best then - specifically which sky king blade do I need? can someone post a link so I know exactly what I am looking for?

I did look up some vids on youtube and noticed that when you glue 50mm of the main rotor blades onto the tail rotor, you have to cut a notch in the tail fin. is this the case with the sky king blade too?

I really appreciate everyone's help!
bdee1 is offline Find More Posts by bdee1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 08:32 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,026 Posts
I have a spare PCB 27mhz board I'll trade for one of those rotors!!
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old May 18, 2012, 08:50 AM
Joined Jul 2005
21 Posts
is the the correct sky king blade?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-SKY-KING-...#ht_1094wt_852

and will i need to notch out the tail fin so that it doesn't hit it?
Old May 18, 2012, 03:50 PM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
I dont rly know but you can remove it It doesnt help
FilthyLucre is offline Find More Posts by FilthyLucre
Old May 18, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Guys seriously, any ideas about batterie change?
FilthyLucre is offline Find More Posts by FilthyLucre
Old May 19, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdee1 View Post
Sorry I am really new to this... I would love more info on the Sky King Rotor blade... do they work? how much?
I took this advice recently and the sky king rotor does not work, the pitch of the blades is reversed from what we have so the heli will move in the wrong direction. Others say they have used it, but it was a waste of money for me.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old May 19, 2012, 03:26 PM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I took this advice recently and the sky king rotor does not work, the pitch of the blades is reversed from what we have so the heli will move in the wrong direction. Others say they have used it, but it was a waste of money for me.
What you fail to mention I'd you don't have a 9053 but a 9101. This blade works on the 9053
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old May 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
Australia, NSW, Waterfall
Joined Jun 2011
1,021 Posts
Quote:
What you fail to mention I'd you don't have a 9053 but a 9101. This blade works on the 9053
Fully agree mine work Fabo.
Trelos05 is offline Find More Posts by Trelos05
Old May 19, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,075 Posts
Quote:
Ahh, I see. I thought they were the same thing. Well It's for my son to practice throttle control and then I'm getting him a 4 channel.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old May 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Jul 2005
21 Posts
i remember reading somewhere that it was reversed but you just have to flip one of the cords around where it plugs into the main board? is that not true for the 9053?
Old May 20, 2012, 01:12 PM
We NEED a LiPo w a USB plug!!!
Orland Park, Illinois
Joined Feb 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyLucre View Post
Guys seriously, any ideas about batterie change?
<--- don't understand the question...
IceRail is offline Find More Posts by IceRail
Old May 28, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined May 2012
1 Posts
The 9053 smacks the blades if you cut the throttle in mid-flight. That can also damage the inner shaft so one or both sets of blades will not provide lift. The repair is not all that bad and the repair kit is only $11 so it is not too expensive.

My wife cut the throttle on her DH 9053 about 50 feet of the ground last night and the blades smacked. I spent an hour replacing the inner shaft and fixing all the other bent parts. Bottom line, don't cut the throttle completely if you are getting a little too high on the DH 9053.

BTW, my little DH 9116 does circles (literally) around her 9053 so now she wants a 5 channel so she can beat me.
Roadrunner68 is offline Find More Posts by Roadrunner68
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:19 AM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
United States, OH, Whitehouse
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC

This thread has been a blast to read...after following all the mods the 9053 flies great, here are a few things I have noticed.
First out of the box, take a phillips screwdriver and go over each screw on the bird. Softly tighten all of them, you will find many loose screws, tighten too hard you will strip them out....it is not a truck.
Remove the circuit board and resolder the joints...many are not very good and a hard landing will cause a connecton to fail with disastrous results.
The tail rotor can be replaced with one from a QS-8006 53" heli, it is a perfect fit and works well.
I flew twin rotor Boeing Vertol CH-46's for 6 years in the Marines,1968 to 74, over 3300 hrs in helicopters, these 9053's are not as easy to fly but just as much fun for a 60 yr old...lol
Now about the gyro... the small upright metal can on the circuit board is a crystal, it determines the frequency between the TX and Rx, it is not a gyro. To explain further... you would not think of a computer hard drive as a gyro.... but hold one in your hand as it is spinning and move it...the resistance or opposition to movement is the gyroscopic effect. Now hold the 9053 in your hand....move it. Nothing right? Just flops around...now hit the throttle, get the blades turning...you will notice it now exhibits the same resistance or opposition to movement as a spinning hard drive. In order to employ the effects of a gyro, something has to be turning. Nothing on or in the circuit board is turning, the gyro effect comes from the blades turning in addition to the balance bar. They do make mini gyros for the more expensive models, one I saw listed for $159 bout the size of a quarter.

Would like to thank those that took the time to figure this bird out and make it more enjoyable for the rest of us. Good job!

Started 2 mos ago with an 8" GT Model qs-9004, and I know every wall and ceiling in my house is scarred, still can't keep it in one place. Then I got the 9053 and actually enjoy it. Haven't tried the 53" monster yet...I did however charge it up and while it was on my lap I accidentally dropped the receiver on the floor, while both were powered up. The resulting fall caused the throttle to fall into the wide open position. The Doctor said the stitches can come out of my left breast/nipple area in a couple weeks and that I may regain feeling in the same area in a month or so.

Laughing is ok....as long as you don't point...
or do it in the bedroom.... time for my pain pills....later folks...
boulier1 is offline Find More Posts by boulier1
Last edited by boulier1; Jun 02, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:19 PM
morris alabama
Joined Feb 2001
367 Posts
From a 64 year old. Great post and fun helicopter to fly.
tigermoth is offline Find More Posts by tigermoth
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:27 AM
Ret. CH-46 Pilot USMC
United States, OH, Whitehouse
Joined May 2012
85 Posts
thanks tiger...appreciate the kind words. I see you are from southern extraction...Roll Tide...
I am surprised the government let y'all southern boys have remote heckalopters.... I figure they would be scared some of those rednecks would arm em and start flyin em north....the South is gonna rise agin! lol ...
kinda scary thinkin 100 good ole boys out for the weekend with a 9053 an ICBM and a six-pack.....
Y'all take care...

American by birth...Southern by the Grace of God
boulier1 is offline Find More Posts by boulier1