HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2010, 10:23 PM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
508 Posts
Help!
Enya 120 R 4c

I had picked up an Enya 120 R 4C sometime back from one of the members in forum. The engine came used.
I have now mounted the engine on my ESM/YT international Adrenaline 90.
Last Sunday I ran the engine, even after peaking the engine correctly I noticed that the engine spits out plenty of fuel from the carb intake, the spary from the venturi was very apparent visibly and also the person holding the model was getting a good spray.
Then later I also noticed that there was some oil leakage from the rocker arm cover area.
I would appreciate if any Enya 120 R owner would help in identifying the problems which may be causing this . Or is this normal for this engine.
The engine is mounted inverted and I am using 18% Klotz, Methanol and 7.5%Nitro mix as fuel.
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2010, 06:32 AM
Whatever works well .
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
2,042 Posts
As I recall, the 120R has the big carb and uses a fuel pump ?
You may want to start by checking the valve lash especially the intake valve lash (rocker arm to valve tip at the base of the cam) . Some fuel stand off above the carb is normal (in some engine systems) A velocity stack can help with stand off issues.

Otherwise you may have some leakage factor with the carb , if indeed this is a pumped system.
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old May 20, 2010, 07:30 AM
Joined Feb 2007
2,736 Posts
Mac, Enyas are set up to rev, you may have it over propped, you can't load a same sized Enya down like you can a Saito. I discovered this in about 1990. A friend bought me an Enya .46 MKII which I still have. I broke it in with a 12x6 Graupner and discovered that it had a really rich mid renge. One day on a lark I tried a Graupner 12x5 and voila, I could run it a half turn leaner and no more rich midrange. My theory is this, that when loaded down to 9,000 rpm the airflow velocity through the carb is too slow for good fuel draw at full throttle so you compensate, (without realizing it) by richening the high speed needle. Then when you go to part throttle the fuel draw increases and you have an overly rich midrange. Anyway, that may be pure unadulterated bull but that's my theory. My .53TN handles a 12x6 just fine as does a Saito .56.

Gary, I think the R is a cammed up 1.20 and the pumped one is called the 1.20GP. I believe what I said about the Enya's needing to rev especially applies to the R.
I TOBOR is online now Find More Posts by I TOBOR
Last edited by I TOBOR; May 20, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old May 20, 2010, 08:12 AM
Whatever works well .
Joined Apr 2010
2,042 Posts
Dave, I think you nailed it . The oversized carb and lugging could well be the culprit . The cam timing could also contribute to stand off regardless of the prop. This is where a velocity stack could help. A lot of the stand off fuel is swept away without the stack. Lugging is very tough on the wrist and crank pin bearings as well. The boundary lubrication becomes marginal to zero . This is where castor gives an added measure of protection .

Thanks for clearing out some cobwebs on the Enya models too.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:48 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,270 Posts
What prop and RPM? I suspect cam timing is incorrect. I've been messing around with heavily loaded engines, read huge props, and there just isn't much blowback.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old May 20, 2010, 11:41 AM
Whatever works well .
Joined Apr 2010
2,042 Posts
The hot cam timing on the 120R is a factor . I doubt it is "off" other than perhaps a lash adjustment problem. More radical cams can cause fuel stand off especially under heavy loads .
Old May 20, 2010, 11:53 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,270 Posts
What are the specs on the R120 cam?
Old May 20, 2010, 12:24 PM
Whatever works well .
Joined Apr 2010
2,042 Posts
Don't know for sure. If Dave is correct it could be a factor.
Old May 20, 2010, 01:18 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,736 Posts
Don't worry Gary, Greg will make sure I nor any one else is correct.
Old May 20, 2010, 01:35 PM
Whatever works well .
Joined Apr 2010
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I TOBOR View Post
Don't worry Gary, Greg will make sure I nor any one else is correct.
Just between the two of us, the R-120 actually has two cams
I guess we are assuming the engine is running fairly well aside from the fuel spitting.
Old May 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,270 Posts
I'll sit this one out as I don't want to thought of in that way.

Here's some reference material:

RCModeler Enya 120-4C review by Clarence Lee

RCModeler Enya R120-4C Review by Clarence Lee

Greg
Old May 20, 2010, 04:26 PM
Whatever works well .
Joined Apr 2010
2,042 Posts
Good stuff there.
We used to hit Mr. Lee's reviews first thing when the new RCM appeared on the newstands. I sure miss that rag ! My wife and I sometimes bought two copies rather than squabble over a single issue.

I kind of thought ol' Dave was just tossing out some good natured ribbing. Dave and I have been known to do that back and forth stuff. I surely consider him a friend and accept it as no bad intent.

Anyhow , the cam timing and lift are indeed on the hot side, favoring the smaller props. With the larger intake tract , hotter cam timing etc it is quite possible the intake velocity at low manifold absolute pressures (high load) could give rise to some intake tract inversion. Couple all of that with mal adjusted valves and there are indeed some places to look.

Stick around, I appreciate your input and I am sure others do as well.
..........Even Dave
Old May 20, 2010, 05:00 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,736 Posts
Sorry Greg, I wish those links had been in your first post, I thought you were shootin just to be shootin. I've seen many engines barf out the carb when overloaded. My Fitzpatrick .61 is a case in point, when I converted one of them to Diesel and propped it for 10,000 rpm, almost as much fuel blew over top of the head as went into the carb. They are timed for 17,000 rpm so I had to sleeve the carb down with a Delrin sleeve. I have no way of changing the crank timing but the sleeve worked. No matter two stroke or four stroke timing is timing.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:24 PM
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Joined Sep 2003
508 Posts
Good to see my problems have drawn so much of discussions
to answer all the queries raised by various
1. No it is not a pumped version, it is plain R version
2. I used a MAS 15x6 and an APC 16x4 and the blow back was same in both case
3. Did not measure the rpm's in both cases

Now to solve the problems, what is that I should be doing?
mchandrayan is offline Find More Posts by mchandrayan
Old May 20, 2010, 09:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2,736 Posts
M, I would be interested in your rpm numbers, I don't know how Clarence Lee got such lousy numbers on 10% fuel. He should have gotten around 9,700 rpm. Well maybe I do understand, I had a 1.55 until about 3 months ago and it was nowhere near as strong as my Saito 1.50.